Krushnic Effect

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
Anybody ever built a 2 stage rocket, with the 1st stage taking advantage of the krushnic effect simply to provide drama on the launch pad?

https://www.rocketreviews.com/krushnic-effect.html

You mean basically use a booster engine as an expensive igniter? Not very good for the launch pad (of course it happens sometimes, but that's not the same as doing it intentionally). Also will tend to melt and/or burn the booster. Also you don't really need Krushnic for that, you can just fasten the booster to the launch pad to ensure it won't go anywhere. That would let you leave some air off the deflector plate and actually see the flame and not fry the booster.

I do hereby rate this idea:

Never heard of this term before. Interesting but also seems slightly dangerous, at least to launch equipment. so I say "Nay Nay".

It would be very damaging and expensive drama for your rocket and the launch pad. I would imagine some of the old multi staged ducted propulsion model plans like the Li'l Augie and Augie II would be especially vulnerable to this at staging, though not at launch. The Semroc Point, if not elevated at launch, will stay on the pad. It's base is almost an exact fit to the Estes blast deflector. But doing it intentionally? Not a good idea, methinks.

Back