Bay Area Rocketry's BAR None LDRS Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swatkat

Down these mean skies, a kat must fly!
Reaction score
Bay Area Rocketry's LDRS special "BAR-None" came in the mail today. I'll get a build thread going. So far it looks really nice. Photo is next to a stock Leviathan which is pretty close in size. Total weight is 41 Oz without recovery or retention. I believe with everything added I can sneak in under the 53 Oz. limit we have on our small field, which was my intention in ordering the rocket without the FG nosecone. Fins are really heavy on this kit though, coming in at 11.9 Oz. I needed to adjust my Sim and it pulled the Cal under 1.00. To remedy this I'm going to cut an unneeded 2.5" off the 54mm MMT and balance out the rocket with a quicklink and eyebolt in the nose. Pics below. The kit is still available for 69.99 with the plastic nose, 99 bucks I think with the FG nose.View attachment 344608 Body tube is thin-walled FG and the kit comes with a decal and rail buttons. I'm planning on a 36" lightweight chute (1.6Oz) and my 3d printed 54mm retainer (1.7 Oz). Anyhow, putting it in the bath now and will try and get started soon.
https://bayarearocketry.com/product/bar-none-rocket-kit/

Finished up the build over the long weekend, sans decals and rail buttons. I went light for the fillets and 2000lb kevlar recovery to get in under the 53 Oz limit loaded for our smaller field. I was able to get it all done in just over 45 Oz, which will get me in under the 53 Oz. I went with a 36" chute, which comes in at 22 ft/sec. a bit fast, but our field is soft. For the high power field I'll swap in a heavier 40" chute and ease her down at 19 ft/sec.
overall, a good build, the fin slots were impossibly narrow for the fins, like the recent Madcow kits have been. I had to open them up a bit with the router. My 3D printed 54mm retainer was perfect for the fit and build.20180529_151641_resized.jpg20180529_151657_resized.jpg

Yep ... one of those days. :facepalm:

It's all good. They are pretty sturdy and come in at 1.79 OZ for the 54mm. I've flown 6 flights on another 54mm with no damage/melt whatsoever. I figure if it ever does, I just replace the female part of the pair and am good to go. Here's another photo.20171108_200106.jpg different rocket.

Back