Vintage Astrocam Restoration

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DankMemes

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, been digging my old rockets out of the garage and found my late 80s early 90s Astrocam, it was in remarkable shape and the camera mechanism still works great! the body tube was solid and the colors still bright. The only issue is the rear fin assembly was melted from the last time I launched it years ago a little to close to the deflector plate.astrocam.jpg

Was hoping somebody might have a replacement laying around in a junkbox I could buy, or could point me in the right direction for a replacement.

Thanks everyone for your time, enjoying this forum already!

But can you find anybody that will develop the 110 film for you? Or even sells it?

I lusted after this one as a kid... Now my average rocket has more computing power onboard than the Apollo service module...

That’s probably a standard Estes “almost ready to fly” fin can. Looks similar to some other models... probably easier just to remake something with cardboard and balsa though.

There was an article in the latest SPORT ROCKETRY about the Astrocam -- the author was using cut B&W film, installing it in old 110 cartridges bought on Ebay, and developing it himself.

But can you find anybody that will develop the 110 film for you? Or even sells it?

I lusted after this one as a kid... Now my average rocket has more computing power onboard than the Apollo service module...

That’s probably a standard Estes “almost ready to fly” fin can. Looks similar to some other models... probably easier just to remake something with cardboard and balsa though.

Belive it or not there’s been a bit of a resurgence in film, the hipsters are driving it. I’m any case film processing including 110, 35mm and otherwise is available in house here in Jacksonville... I asked when I dropped of a few rolls of 35mm I recently shot...

a modern reissue of 110 is available from lomography and sold on amazon,although it’s 200 iso so need a really sunny day

The tube was a non-standard (for Estes) size. It was called a WBT-1312 but was basically a Centuri ST-13. You might want to see if Centuri used the fincan and then try to obtain one of them.

The tube was a non-standard (for Estes) size. It was called a WBT-1312 but was basically a Centuri ST-13. You might want to see if Centuri used the fincan and then try to obtain one of them.

The fin unit on the Astrocam was unique to that kit. The other Estes-produced Astrocam launcher was the Challenger-II (1330) that used the Phoenix Bird/Argus/Maniac/Eliminator fin can. The best bet for a new fin unit would necessitate finding an old Astrocam kit.

OR You could buy an 18" long section of the body tube (from eRockets.biz (aka Semroc)) cut it down to length, and build another one with balsa fins. I used a BT-56 for my "Look Back" version

OR You can buy one of the Ready to Fly variants that frequently pop up on eBay and use that (the current offerings are way overpriced, but several have "make an offer"). The yellow "Beta" version you have pops up fairly regularly, but try not to pay more than $30 for them +S/H. I scored the last one for my AstroCam 110DV (digital video) project about a week ago and paid $9.95 (+S/H $11.95). I've found that competition for them has dropped quite a bit over the last few auctions now that Tramper Al and I have mostly filled out our collections.

Another option would be to try to contact Alex Boyce (Boyce Aerospace Hobbies) and see if he can whip up a 3D replacement fin can for you. I know he has one that he can model from. I just sent it to him. We're trying to create an 808 #16 digital camera version of the AstroCam 110. Along with a flippable mod that allows you to use it like a Cineroc.

BTW, you might want to check out my .ork (OpenRocket) files on the AstroCam 110

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?123564-K-Tesh-s-OpenRocket-files&p=1572800#post1572800

26400627586_7f80ddb9be_o.png

I also have a scan of the decals in pretty rough shape, that you could clean up and print.

Oh and please do us a favor... Post any pics you've taken with them. I'd love to see what shots you've been able to get.

Isn't that from the vendor that Tramper Al was saying inadequately packaged his purchase from? https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?145973-I-suggest-avoiding-this-ebay-selle

Also the "Improved Shutter Release" prevents the buyer from making a "Look Back" version of the camera as its shutter isn't tripped by a string being released, but instead by a button being released upon ejection.

Man the response in this thread has been overwhelming, I very much appreciate everyone’s ideas... thanks for the decals scan there are a few that I wouldn’t mind refreshing.

I have s few pics in my file cabinet I snapped from 1991 I believe in my file cabinet I’ll see if I can find them would be cool to see them again anyway, I’ll get some scans up for you guys... the location is still there to this day, hoping I can get this thing back in the sky and shoot from the same spot, would make for a cool side by side if I can get a similar angle, or at least on the same direction, but was always a matter of blind luck with this thing, I remember shooting as a kid and blowing enough engines for a full roll and maybe getting 2 decent exposures but when it worked man it was the coolest thing...

as far as modeling goes, I’m pretty good with blender so I bet I could whip up a box accurate fin can and have shapeways run it off for me in ABS...

Hmm wonder if I could model a custom nose cone to mount an 808 inside of for my Bertha...?

Anyway anyone have experience with 3D printed fins or cones?

You would have to print that fin can in a few pieces. I wouldn’t trust fins printed vertically and fins printed flat tend to warp. A can with grooves for attaching balsa fins would be less hassle.

You don’t need a custom cone to attach an 808... Just tape it on and fly!

You would have to print that fin can in a few pieces. I wouldn’t trust fins printed vertically and fins printed flat tend to warp. A can with grooves for attaching balsa fins would be less hassle.

You don’t need a custom cone to attach an 808... Just tape it on and fly!
I believe the project they are working on is to recreate the Astrocam/Cineroc nose cone but using 808 camera guts for the imaging.

Isn't that from the vendor that TramperAl was saying inadequately packaged his purchase from? https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?145973-I-suggest-avoiding-this-ebay-selle
Yes, it is - so I would advise against using this seller. Even if you get the new-looking kit in the picture (I didn't), the packing is unbelievably bad (kit folded in half, placed in single plastic bag with a little electrical tape wrap - that's it). And the fins would be the first thing to be crushed en route, I'd say.

If you want to be somewhat creative about your Delta II fin can, my notes indicate that I thought at one point that both the Outlaw #2474 (pink) and Hunter's Choice - Magnum Load #1401 (white) plastic fin units might come from the same mold as the old Astrocam (black) ones. Please double check my research, though, and at least be sure that those kits used a BT-56 tube as well.

EDIT: Both may be seen in the 2015 catalog and are listed as 1.35 inch diameter, as was the last of the Astrocams (2007) and most every (but not all) catalog listings of a BT-56 or ST-13 rocket.

Yes, it is - so I would advise against using this seller. Even if you get the new-looking kit in the picture (I didn't), the packing is unbelievably bad (kit folded in half, placed in single plastic bag with a little electrical tape wrap - that's it). And the fins would be the first thing to be crushed en route, I'd say.

If you want to be somewhat creative about your Delta II fin can, my notes indicate that I thought at one point that both the Outlaw #2474 (pink) and Magnum Load #1401 (white) plastic fin units might come from the same mold as the old Astrocam (black) ones. Please double check my research, though, and at least be sure that those kits used a BT-56 tube as well.

Yeah thats pretty bad, there's a few morons on ebay that just have no respect for their buyers or the items they are selling, worst case I had was buying a vintage pioneer receiver. Seller simply put the receiver in the box taped it up and send it... When I received it all knobs were busted and the wooden chassis was splintered around almost every edge. It was a shame really, such a nice piece of a equipment more or less destroyed, because he was to lazy to enough stuff the box with newspaper at the least

Hmm I'll have to keep an eye out for those kits, and see if they do in fact share the same tube, thanks for the reply!

Speaking of bad sellers I had someone ship me an SR-71 kit today in a bubble envelope.... sigh al the body tubes were crushed... man it was only a dollar more for the flat rate box from USPS... :mad:

Speaking of bad sellers I had someone ship me an SR-71 kit today in a bubble envelope.... sigh al the body tubes were crushed... man it was only a dollar more for the flat rate box from USPS... :mad:

BT-20s and BT-50s are easily replaced. Be thankful it wasn't something with bastard sizes like the Atlas or Space Shuttle

Back