Aerotech m1350w DMS assembly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrace

Reaction score
I am in the process of assembling this motor and have question grain placement. The grains when installed are shorter than the liner (normal) part of this is taken up by the smoke bulkhead shoulder and part is taken up by the liner seating grove at nozzle end of the case. That still leaves some space. Dose it matter if the grains are tight against the smoke bulkhead or the nozzle end?
I tried to contact Aerotech but I think that’s going to take awhile to get an answer.
Thanks

Not sure about the M1350, but a number of smaller motors have short grains that dont totally fill the liner.

Extra space in the liner is normal. It doesn't matter where the space ends up. You may even feel/hear the grains move when you shake the assembled motor. (You are using the grain spacer o-rings?) Many reloads will rattle when shaking the assembled motor.

Not really concerned about the space just didn’t know if it made any difference where I located it. The grains are pretty tight in the liner and not easy to move so don’t want to mess with them if I don’t need to but I want to make sure it’s right before I epoxy the bulkhead

It may not make much of a difference but if it were me I would put them toward the nozzle end.
I have assembled many aerotech 98mm L, M, & Ns and in most cases adhere the grains to the liner with Elmer’s glue all max (recommended by aerotech).
The reason I bring up the above is that after inserting grains I always stand the motor on the nozzle end with the nozzle inserted and allow the assembly to cure vertically with the grains against the nozzle.

Back