GPS over cellular network

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbwizzard

Reaction score
I have been looking at different way of telemetry. I wanted something that could work for a long distance without have to worry about HAM radio licensing.
So far the parts I have:
A cheap generic GPS module from ali express
Adafruit Feather Fona
Hologram Developer iot sim card

Right now it is coded to collect GPS coordinates every 10 seconds and send them to a web service I created. From there I have an app that reads the last know location and draws a google map to direct you to the rocket.

I have only had a change to test it once and it was about to get me within 15 feet of my rocket.

I will post updates as I test more. I plan on adding a baro sensor to capture altitude as well. With Hologram you get 1/Mb free a month and $0.60/Mb after that. Each packet I send is 224 bytes.

Has anyone else every used GPRS for telemetry? Are there any know concerns I should be aware of?

That can work if you have cellular available at your launches. I've seen a few people do it with success. I even read about one guy sticking an old smart phone in the rocket.

Are you allowed to use GPRS for data? I'm not sure what the rules are with it. If you want to use local radio, look into LORA. There are FCC certified modules that you should be able to use without licensing and they get the best range I know of for unlicensed uses. I think Adafruit sells modules for it.

That can work if you have cellular available at your launches. I've seen a few people do it with success. I even read about one guy sticking an old smart phone in the rocket.
Yes, here in Florida we have cellular service at all launch sites and I've had success using cheap 2G trackers such as this: https://www.ebay.com/i/263669406692?chn=ps
Also, there's more than just one guy using an old smart phone in the rocket for tracking. The Insane Rockets app is designed for this and it works great, see https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.insanerocketry.insanerockets

Back