MJG BP Starters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fineberg

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the MJG BP starters? I am wondering if they are a decent substitute for Q2G2's in clusters.

Sam

I'm wondering the same thing. I keep getting scared away by the shipping and end up waiting for their Composite starters to get certified so I can buy everything at once.

I have used them for a 4 X Quest D5 Cluster wired parallel. Worked well.
Great to hear, I was hoping this would be the new go-to igniter for clusters. I finally broke down and bought a couple of 24 packs. They aren't cheap, but even with shipping they were <$1 each. I am looking forward to their composite igniter, but at least there are other substitutes for that. For BP clusters this is really the only game in town.

Sam

I'm wondering the same thing. I keep getting scared away by the shipping and end up waiting for their Composite starters to get certified so I can buy everything at once.

The $40 shipping charge is only if you want to ship them fedex ground, you don't have to add that charge, it will just take longer to get to you via USPS ground.

I ordered mine via USPS and it didn't take long at all.

At the last launch I was at, I used about 8 Estes starters to get two rockets off the ground. Can't wait to try these at the next launch!

One of our club members ran some tests on the MJG black powder ignitors. Sample size was small, but they use a conductive primer as opposed to a bridge wire. The unit resistance varied quite a bit, so anyone using them might want to measure each ones resistance and try to match them. A good 12 volt system helps.
I was given one to attempt to light a composite D13 reload, but no joy.
I would love to have a low cost replacement for the OOP Quest Q2G2 igniters. The MJG BP igniters are imported and I hope that with feedback they will end up being a reliable alternative.

Chas

Back