Shia Hulud: Dune Sandworm Flying Model Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddyisabar

Oddroc scum. Mindsimmer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
SHIA HULUD:
Keeper of balance,
Bless the maker and his water,
Bless the coming and going of him,
May his passage cleanse the world.

A SECRET REPORT WITHIN THE GUILD: 0-0-0
It has come to our attention that a plot is underway to build a new oddroc that could threaten AP production. The mindsim is nearly complete and materials have been collected. Send a Level Three RSO North of Estesland, past the shield wall of NORAD, beyond the danger zone of Apogee Components and into the deep desert. To the desert city not far from the garage on Ogden Street where the Maker made the first motors. Completion of such an abomination coupled with a land snake launch could jeopardize AP production. The Perchlorate MUST FLOW!

LEVEL THREE RSO REPORT:
We have just folded space from IX. Many machines on IX with simulation programs better than those on OR or RS. We must trust the machines to take care of us, to keep us safe. Mindsiming a clustered, canted and tractor motored rocket with telescoping body tubes and a long, metallic centerline launch lug is best left to a rogue mentat. Landsnakes and core samples are unacceptable. Body tubes are meant to be stiff and strong, not oscillating in the air. Blessed is the BLUE TUBE. Motors and fins are meant to be in back and mounted straight. No thumpers allowed on the range. Minds move in strange directions. I see plans within plans. I did not say this. I am not here.

THE JUICE OF SAPHO:
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. Daddy - GET OFF THE JUICE!
SH juice.jpg

THE LAUNCH CONTROL BOX:
Stick you hand in the box young animal and press the launch button. This is a TEST, ONLY A TEST.
Sh Box.jpg
So much was unclear. The Bene Gesserit witch must leave. Fear is the mind killer. Remember the tooth, THE TOOTH! Go to that place you fear the most; where you can not go. There you will find a finless, telescoping, tractor motored worm rocket looking back at you!

GET OUT OF MY MINDSIM! Kill the abomination!
SH mindsim 2.jpg

RSO: Do we have worm sign? Sir, we have worm sign the likes of which Vern has never seen before! If it works it will be worth three times its weight in water! What a MONSTER! Launch the atomics!
SH wormsign.jpg

DADDY: Use the voice on the RSO to get your pad assignment:
SH RSO face.jpg

The Oddrocs have met on the ping pong table to plan their next move. I am sending my new apprentice there to TAKE CARE OF THEM! OOPS! SORRY! WRONG MOVIE.
SH layout 3.jpg
BT 80 to 70 to 60. Three E12 4 motors from Hobby Lobby. Built mostly of left over parts. Hopefully I will be able to score some Q2G2's. If not and only two motors light it most likely will arch over and a crash into the ground. It will not earn extra scale flight points, no mater what the scene in the movie looks like.
SH layout.jpg
Just another flying worm rocket. Silly worm flying fun for the whole family.

May thy fins neither chip nor shatter.

No fin damage is guaranteed on this one. I just picked up the last parts and construction has begun. Holes cut in nosecones and bulk head, motor mounts attached with tiny drops of superglue. I am going to use Rusto tan stone paint and segment with a sharpie. I was thinking of coating in sand paper but the paint will be easier. The KS aluminium tubing is not quite long enough to run the entire pre-launch length but should work. In my best Full Metal Jacket hooker voice - "This one stay on launch rod long time!"

SH Build 3.jpg
Parts arrive from the danger zone. I had a friend pick them up because that place is just too dangerous to my wallet. The photo glows with a weird light. Maybe they have been on Arrakis long enough to glow blue. Maybe they are blue tube!

SH build 2.jpg
Cutting the cones and building the motor mount.

SH build.jpg

Attach motor tubes with six small dabs of super glue. CA to attach motor tubes to motor mount? Heresy!
SH Build X 14.jpg

Set motor mounts in tube to mark. No marking guides needed. Again, not for those insisting on good technique.
SH Build X13.jpg

Hack tube until it fits. Shove down into slots.
SH BUild X12.jpg
Reminds me of the scene in Dune:"Stick the pick in there Pete and turn it round, real neat!"
SH Pick.jpg

Wrap KS aluminum launch lug tube with tape to increase diameter and to accept epoxy for motor mount. How long can a launch lug be and still be in good taste?
SH Build X11.jpg

Glue in motor mount with my favorite motor mount glue - CA! OMG! Will it work? What will happen when the RSO finds out motor mount attached with CA!
SH Build X9.jpg

Glue in coupler with Ileen's Tacky glue. Fillet tubes as well. My Kindergarten teacher taught us only to use our pinky finger for spreading paste. That is GOOD TECHNIQUE! Thank you Mrs. Bonowitz!
SH Build X8.jpg

Save those cut outs!
SH Build X7.jpg

All glued up.
SH Build X6.jpg

All centered on cone.
SH BUild X5.jpg

Front view
SH Build X4.jpg

Back view
SH Build X3.jpg

Telescoping tubes set top
SH Build X2.jpg

Telescoping tubes set bottom
SH Build X.jpg

Now all I need to do is to decide on material and how to do the stops. I am thinking of a 1/4" rope, something thicker than twine, that I can soak up with CA or epoxy and attach to tube.

Tube Stops set, 1/4 inch rope or twine Super glued and snaded
SH Build B1.jpg

Dog before groomer and mock up assembly. How much flex? Tighter on BT 80 to 70. More flex on BT 70 to 60?
SH Build B2.jpg

Top end stops
SH Build B3.jpg

Bottom end stops
SH BUild B4.jpg

BT 70 sits below coupler
SH Build B5.jpg

Stoner paint job, but this is Colorado dude. Very coarse paint so sliding tubes will get standard flat sand color.
SH Build B6.jpg

SH Build B7.jpg

Sh Build B8.jpg

Dog back from groomer and competing with Hauptmann Kitty for prime couch spot
SH Build B9.jpg

All painted and Shia Hulud hanging out with oddroc pals.
SH BUild B 10.jpg

Hauptmann Kitty will not move from the spot, even when silly oddrocs show up.
SH Kitty 1.jpg

Even Jack In the Box can't get him to move.
SH Kitty 2.jpg

Finally the Dog takes control by force. It is the time when all will turn against him.
SH Kitty 4.jpg

The Hauptmann then drinks the Water of Life. It was just before I was going to treat the system with root killer!
SH Kitty 3.jpg

The Kitty drinks for a very long time knowing his human was trying to use the scared bowl.
SH Kitty 5.jpg

Having successfully transmuted the Water of Life, Hauptmann Kitty now rules the Universe.
SH Kitty 6.jpg

Kitty then takes control of the oddroc building spot.
SH Kitty 7.jpg

Must receive ample chin rubs.
SH Kitty 8.jpg

Deep tissue neck massage follows.
SH Kitty 9.jpg

Then the Kitty just sits tin place, surveying his basement Kingdom.

SH Kitty 10.jpg

Smacked into chip. BT 60 section broke loose on impact. Witness said it was a good crash.
SH crash.jpg

Let the chips fall, let them fall were they may. I hear there is good sand trout fishing near by!
SH crash2.jpg

Three ejection charges on the smacked nose cone.
SH Crash 3.jpg

Broken BT 70 to 60 stop. All the motors lit with old black head Estes igniters!
SH CRASH 4.jpg

Dog barf and float paper sandwich withstand ejection charges. Saves parachute and shock cord.
SH CRASH 6.jpg

Bent motor mount.
SH Crash 7.jpg

Nothing is wasted in the Desert. Can it be regenerated?
SH crash 8.jpg

Too flexible? OK under power going up but then seem to cock down right into the wind on coast.

Should have waited for research day and flown on E12-0 with immediate motor ejection?

The oddroc peril is no more. The Guild is secure and the AP will flow.

I think the spice has been flowing a little too freely��

It is just the clean thin air of the high desert in Colorado. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr. sang about the altitude giving you that Rocky Mountain High. Down in the moist lands of milk and honey it is most likely the Hobbit's Weed, so it is best to listen to Saruman on that point.

Maybe just another layer of twine, a natural fiber, on that last telescoping tail segment would have made it a bit stiffer and everything would have been fine. In rocketry it is such a fine line between success and failure. At least the telescoping part worked well on take off and it was stable under power. Fortunately the oddroc flight standards are very low and the top men did comment it was very true to the movie. The kite like tails have worked better but they produce so much performance killing drag. I should just listen to Dr. Wellington Yueh: "REMEMBER THE FINS. . . THE FINS!"

shia_labeouf300.jpg

Sure, he’s not perfect, but I wouldn’t go so far as to call him a WORM!

Daddyisabar, his name is also a weapon....

DADDY: What is the name of the large impact crater by the second launch pad?

RSO: We call that one "Silly oddroc crater.". You shall now be known only amougst us as "Silly oddroc crater maker.". You are demoted to Level 0 and must stay away from the big motors.

Daddyisabar, his name is also a weapon....

EMPEROR: The oddrocers are developing a new rocket unknown to us. They are using a technique utilizing canted tractor motors on a telescoping rocket launched off of a center line launch lug. No fins and motors on top. I will send fifty legions of my finest sodocon terror troopers to guarantee it's demise.

I hate to be Lude, but I am not Shy... Rebuild it !!! Lets see it launch again someday Daddy!

BEWARE! There may agents of the Fish Speakers here on TRF waiting for you to develop this weapon, steal it and pervert it for their own use!

Back