URRG May Launch Home of the 18K Potter NY May 19th,20th

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry W

URRG Pres & Prefect
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Team. The weather has broken its time to bust the ski open. Many camping at the Country Charm lets get those puppies loaded and up. Its that time I am feeling the URRRRRG hit'em hard send them Hi.

Hi Team I know it looks gloomy for the May launch weather report this week end but we decided to push through. The weather will be here and so will we. Actually I am already here at country charm with my daughter Carly. We are going to the field in the am to set up a tent or two and do a little seasonal work. Hanging out is king. Lots of campers already in for the weekend. Its going to be fun rain or shine high low we do them all.

Well, I'll be there either way. Will probably be a mostly low-power weekend for me, I don't have anything left over from last year bigger than an F...

Rick Sounds good we had a blast today getting things ready. Dutch set up his large tent and new flag. Everything is dry as a bone it looks like a lunar land scape. Tomorrow may be a little wet but I am water proof so its all good.

Sunday started out wet thanks to a Mist that lasted until about 12:30, but ended up with a lot of great flights. Including a successful L1030 L2 Cert for Bailey Reid of RIT. A possible successful M1297? L3 Cert for Eric Montbriand, ( I say possible because it's still 50' up at the top of the tree it landed in), and a great M flight for the RIT team, (unfortunately also in the top of a tree). It seems like Larry will have to make use of his nephew, "the Grey Squirrel", to retrieve those two rockets. I can say I'm fairly certain that upon final inspection that Eric will be a newly accomplished L3. As well as all the great flights for the day even I got to fly my "Minie Magg" on an I170 Classic CTI motor.

Now just looking forward to URRF 5!!!

Hmm, so that brings us up to 5 tree landings for the weekend (the other 3 were LPR flights that landed in the trees next to the trailer). According to Greg, we totaled 94 flights for the weekend. Not bad, considering the weather...

It really was a great weekend. Dutch was right the weather was going to be there and so were we. I think we won in the long run. There were some really great flights. Tons of thanks to Dave Brown for stepping up for launch director for the weekend. He did a great job and thanks to all the new help on the field you made it easy for everyone. The RIT crew was back out today to try and recover there's. The Gray squirrel is arraigning a day off work to make the trip for Eric's L-3 recovery. He said he will be real nice getting it down and putting it in the trailer so Dutch can inspect it for Eric. Its time to think URRF 5 1 month out

If anyone has decent photos from this past weekend that I can use in the newsletter to accompany the launch report, please email me at [email protected]. My own photos aren't that great. Apparently, cell phones don't photograph rockets in a fog bank very well. Who knew? :rolleyes:

If anyone has decent photos from this past weekend that I can use in the newsletter to accompany the launch report, please email me at [email protected]. My own photos aren't that great. Apparently, cell phones don't photograph rockets in a fog bank very well. Who knew? :rolleyes:

There was a budding young photographer snapping pictures and I know he grabbed some good take-off shots of mine as he showed them to me. I asked him if he could email them to me and his mom said they will post them on the URRG FB page. I don't do FB so if you know his mom's contact info I would like to see if I can get some high res shots of my flights.

I did have a camera on my 3" Darkstar and I can step through the video and see if there are any interesting snapshots that I can pull out for you.

Great weekend, not so much the weather or even the flights, due to the weather. Well that and me loading the wrong charges in my main deployment which resulted in a failed main separation, however the drogue was out and she landed in a nice freshly ploughed soft field so no damage, not even a scratch. I really need to document my deployment charges better.

Best part of the weekend by far was the company, great time and it was really nice to see everyone.

I am looking forward to URRF!

Back