Open-source space launcher software

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Answer

Reaction score
I’m an aerospace engineering student, I was wondering if there is an open-source software able to compute the trajectory of a real space launcher (so heavy rocket like Arianne 5, Falcon, Soyuz...). I already know OpenRocket but unfortunately :( I’ve seen that it is limited to sounding-rocket.

I’m an aerospace engineering student, I was wondering if there is an open-source software able to compute the trajectory of a real space launcher (so heavy rocket like Arianne 5, Falcon, Soyuz...). I already know OpenRocket but unfortunately :( I’ve seen that it is limited to sounding-rocket.

How realistic?

I'm guessing it's not as accurate as you want, nor is it open-source, but Kerbal Space Program is a formerly-indie game (it was bought out by Rockstar Games I think) that does a pretty good job of simulating orbital flight. It can't run scripted ascent paths, but you can fly it by hand with a little practice, and with community mods like Realism Overhaul it can simulate real engines and vehicles to some degree. Orbiter 2016 is another very similar game/sim that's more geared toward real vehicles.

As to "serious" simulations, I have no idea. I just play Kerbal Space Program...:cyclops: I wouldn't use KSP for anything that you actually cared about accuracy for, but just for fun, it's great.

I doubt you can get the real software used. Likely would be seen as a security issue.

How realistic?

I'm guessing it's not as accurate as you want, nor is it open-source, but Kerbal Space Program is a formerly-indie game (it was bought out by Rockstar Games I think) that does a pretty good job of simulating orbital flight. It can't run scripted ascent paths, but you can fly it by hand with a little practice, and with community mods like Realism Overhaul it can simulate real engines and vehicles to some degree. Orbiter 2016 is another very similar game/sim that's more geared toward real vehicles.

As to "serious" simulations, I have no idea. I just play Kerbal Space Program...:cyclops: I wouldn't use KSP for anything that you actually cared about accuracy for, but just for fun, it's great.

Thank you, I already know Kerbal, it's very accurate especially after the introduction of the mod Realism Overhaul, but it’s quite different from what I’m looking for.
I was searching an Open-Source software that allow to compute the trajectory of a real space launcher.

Yes, Nasa offers a lot of open-source tools but for what I know there isn’t something for space launcher. For example, EMTG is thought to optimize interplanetary trajectory’s.

If you’re looking for something that has all the models for the rockets you listed and which you simply supply an orbital insertion velocity, you would need to know that velocity first. EMTG may help with that. Did you look at the NASA software catalog?

If you’re looking for something that has all the models for the rockets you listed and which you simply supply an orbital insertion velocity, you would need to know that velocity first. EMTG may help with that. Did you look at the NASA software catalog?

I've seen the catalog but what I'm looking for is a tool able to compute a space launcher trajectory, so for example the altitude or velocity in function of time. For the moment I know only private software (one of the most important is Astos ) able to do that.

Drag coefficient going to be a pain and the arse to compute for new objects. Apparently, AIAA Design Methodologies for Space Transportation Systems is highly recommended for its nifty CD-ROM of software tools if your in the market for high Mach, drag coefficients on variable angles of attack using fortran.

RASAero II has been used to generate aero data for launch vehicles run on other ascent to orbit flight simulation programs. In fact the last update of RASAero II (Version 1.0.1.0) included changes to improve models specifically for launch vehicles.

From the RASAero web site for the RASAero II Version 1.0.1.0 update:

https://www.rasaero.com/dl_software_ii.htm

"Added extension to power-on base drag model for very large nozzle exit diameters at supersonic and hypersonic Mach numbers, with the nozzle exit area filling a large portion of the rocket base area, for more accurate power-on drag coefficient (CD) predictions for first and second stages of satellite launch vehicles."

Chuck Rogers
Rogers Aeroscience

Minotaur I launch vehicle entered into RASAero II to get aero data. (CL, CD, CN, CA, CNalpha, CP)

The Minotaur I geometry data is from the Minotaur I Users Guide January 2006 (Approved for Public Release), Page 4, Figure 2-2.

Chuck Rogers
Rogers Aeroscience

Minotaur I Launch Vehicle Entered into RASAero II.jpg

Last edited:
RASAero II has been used to generate aero data for launch vehicles run on other ascent to orbit flight simulation programs. In fact the last update of RASAero II (Version 1.0.1.0) included changes to improve models specifically for launch vehicles.

From the RASAero web site for the RASAero II Version 1.0.1.0 update:

https://www.rasaero.com/dl_software_ii.htm

"Added extension to power-on base drag model for very large nozzle exit diameters at supersonic and hypersonic Mach numbers, with the nozzle exit area filling a large portion of the rocket base area, for more accurate power-on drag coefficient (CD) predictions for first and second stages of satellite launch vehicles."

Chuck Rogers
Rogers Aeroscience

It's a very interesting program, I’m going to try it.
It’s a shame that it is not open-source but only free, I would like to look at the numerical simulation code.

Drag coefficient going to be a pain and the arse to compute for new objects. Apparently, AIAA Design Methodologies for Space Transportation Systems is highly recommended for its nifty CD-ROM of software tools if your in the market for high Mach, drag coefficients on variable angles of attack using fortran.

I'll look thank you.

It's a very interesting program, I’m going to try it.
It’s a shame that it is not open-source but only free, I would like to look at the numerical simulation code.

I plan to publish the aerodynamic prediction methods in RASAero at some TBD time.

Chuck Rogers

Back