Rail buttons mount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roytyson

Reaction score
I always put an additional piece of wood on my aft ring to attach my rail button to. This time on my Loc Goblin I forgot before I glued the fun can in. I’m not sure what to do now to ensure integrity of the screw and button.

Thoughts?

You could always put that piece of wood aft of the centering ring. Or measure up from the bottom and attempt to drill into the centering ring. Little bit of CA glue on the screw and it'll be good.

This is the thinner, 4” Loc tubing, right?

If so, here is a thought. Use the largest diameter wood screw that will fit. Drill the pilot holes in the airframe. From below, squirt some epoxy into the holes with a syringe, and immediately screw the rail guides in. Leave them hanging below the rocket for a day or so while the epoxy sets.

You want something a bit thicker- not laminating epoxy. Maybe JB Weld, or better yet Aeropoxy 6279 as it does not run much.

Mount them using a rawl nut aka well nut/rubber expansion nut. Drill hole for wellnut, harden hole edge with CA, inert wellnut, screw in railbutton with appropriate machine screw for railbutton and well nut. Easy Peasy and strong.

Mount them using a rawl nut aka well nut/rubber expansion nut. Drill hole for wellnut, harden hole edge with CA, inert wellnut, screw in railbutton with appropriate machine screw for railbutton and well nut. Easy Peasy and strong.

+1 on this. Just be aware, after a year or five, the threads get funky and the rubber sets with a bulge so getting the screw out of the well nut and getting the well nut back out can be an issue.

Back