Even More Ebay Silliness

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found these.

I wonder, do these come with a 10lb bag of coke???

Huh, earlier, they were different links. One had a price of 1300.00 ish, now they're the same link...
Oh well, still ridiculous...

Only three possibilities with these kinds of posts:

1. Ad created by robot with malfuntion.

2. Seller mistyped and did not proofread.

3. Front for contraband sales / money laundering.

I find Amazon is going the same route as Ebay: that they allow anyone to post sales items, and at any price they deem "reasonable".

Of course, I'm also reminded of a police auction many many years ago, where a cheapo department store bike went for 3x it's retail price..

I find Amazon is going the same route as Ebay: that they allow anyone to post sales items, and at any price they deem "reasonable".

Of course, I'm also reminded of a police auction many many years ago, where a cheapo department store bike went for 3x it's retail price..
Are you suggesting that they "Police" the pricing, or even implement a policy in regards to price?

Are you suggesting that they "Police" the pricing, or even implement a policy in regards to price?

No, not at all. (Free market & all) but that Amazon was better at keeping / maintaining lower pricing.. That by going to Amazon, you were (to a certain degree) expecting to get a pretty good deal on what ever. But they've since been changing their rules & their scope, and now seem to allow anyone with a store to open up. So, no longer, on Amazon, can you "expect" to get a deal, but are at the mercy of the shop keeper / demand / numerous bugs & cookies that track your last visited wants, desires, and # of times you've actually bought stuff on line (That whole new online marketing strategy of where depending on what you've inquired about, where you've shopped for, how often you've shopped an bought / not bought from influences the price you're shown.

Amazon did have a "can you find it cheaper? let us know" button (but seems to be gone). But I seriously doubt it really did anything..

I used ot feel I could use AMazon as a basis for a good deal, and that by buying thru them, I was getting a deal. Not anymore.. Amazon seems to be becoming 'Ebay'..

Only three possibilities with these kinds of posts:

1. Ad created by robot with malfuntion.

2. Seller mistyped and did not proofread.

3. Front for contraband sales / money laundering.

4. Seller trying to gauge market interest and may not be expecting to sell at that price.

Seems like I read somewhere that sellers use this tactic to keep their listings from being deleted and then having to create new ones when they get new stock in. When the item goes out of stock, they mark it as having only one left and then pump the price up to something no reasonable person would spend.

Could be an example of arbitrage, where the guy doesn't own one but will get one if it sells at the crazy price and re-ship it. Amazon was better before it allowed arbitrage and used items.

No, not at all. (Free market & all) but that Amazon was better at keeping / maintaining lower pricing.. That by going to Amazon, you were (to a certain degree) expecting to get a pretty good deal on what ever. But they've since been changing their rules & their scope, and now seem to allow anyone with a store to open up. So, no longer, on Amazon, can you "expect" to get a deal, but are at the mercy of the shop keeper / demand / numerous bugs & cookies that track your last visited wants, desires, and # of times you've actually bought stuff on line (That whole new online marketing strategy of where depending on what you've inquired about, where you've shopped for, how often you've shopped an bought / not bought from influences the price you're shown.

Amazon did have a "can you find it cheaper? let us know" button (but seems to be gone). But I seriously doubt it really did anything..

I used ot feel I could use AMazon as a basis for a good deal, and that by buying thru them, I was getting a deal. Not anymore.. Amazon seems to be becoming 'Ebay'..

I always shop around by doing a quick Google and if I have to dig a bit deeper depending on the item, then I do. The last thing I want to rely on is for an organization to look out for my best interest...Bezos does not strike me as a guy looking out for my best interest.

Could be an example of arbitrage, where the guy doesn't own one but will get one if it sells at the crazy price and re-ship it. Amazon was better before it allowed arbitrage and used items.

My wife bought my son a bike from a retailer on Amazon, and we received a bike shipped from walmart.com (wrong bike, to boot). Guessing the retailer had no inventory, but just placed the order through walmart. We returned it, and I ordered from Walmart myself and saved $30.

I've actually soured on the whole internet thing, mainly because of things like this..

Windows 10, FB, Amazon.. just all becoming a big hype & new method to separate you & your $$ in a technically advanced & savvy way.. (But unfortunately, it's here to stay..)

Back