Runaway Jet Engine

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
[video=youtube;D9J91Iq52Bk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9J91Iq52Bk[/video]

I was waiting for the engine to rip off of the pallet mount and go cartwheeling away. I don't think I'd be revving that up with that mount. And just a little 10lb fire extinguisher...

Looked like the guy in the foreground had no ear defenders on... He must be incredibly hard of hearing.

Looked like the guy in the foreground had no ear defenders on... He must be incredibly hard of hearing.
Same thing I was thinking, but he may have had ear plugs. I don't see how how could have stood there without them unless he's totally deaf. That has to be pain level noise.

BTW, check out the other cool stuff they run up on that channel - mostly WWII military aircraft engines.

A more professional team. Afterburner starting at 7:30:

Our GE J79-19 turbojet, out of an Italian air force Starfighter, being put through its paces, and burning several hundred gallons of sweet Jet-A in the process.

My rear-engine camera was blown down the field, rescued and put on intake monitoring duty. It still couldn't keep still. I held my main camera, standing as close as I dared to the afterburner nozzle, and my knees actually buckled a bit every time it lit off.

This engine makes some smoke because it has standard combustors (see my combustor videos), and passed the test with ease.

[video=youtube;Bxkt2vx9EOQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxkt2vx9EOQ[/video]

Interesting video WInton.

These guys were on the cusp of disaster. If the forklift hadn't had the forks engaged in the skid, the engine and stand would have been cartwheeling.

I too will agree with others it was not a "runaway" at all. If not for the forklift forks being stuck in the pallet the outcome may well have been very bad.

Back