Rail Buttons

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talmaar

Reaction score
I'm building a Loc Minie-Magg and this is the first time that I have used rail buttons. I placed the rail buttons so that they are screwed into the centering rings. When I look down the rocket at them they are in line with each other but they are a little twisted with the tops at a bit of a different angle from each other. Will this cause a problem at launch? If so how can I correct it with out no longer having them line up? Thanks!

Rails are somewhat forgiving. As long as they're close you'll be fine.

I don't have a drill press and my arm isn't calibrated so all of mine are a little tweaked. Like if the rocket tube were a table, the rail button is a cup leaning to one side.

A cup leaning to one side is exactly what they look like, with each cup leaning a different way. Good to know that the rails are a little forgiving. Thanks!

How much is a little? The rails are forgiving, but only to a point. It they are pointed off too much they will bind.

To get the holes straight, you can use a drill guide. If you have a 1" x 1" piece of oak, other hardwood, or even metal, and access to the right tools, i.e. table saw or router and drill press, you can make a simple guide. Cut a V groove along one face of the wood that is parallel to the opposite side. That is what will sit on the tube like a piece of angle iron does. Use the drill press to drill guide holes in the center of the V groove to the opposite side. As long as the side with the groove and it's opposite were parallel, you can just drill from the bottom of the v groove. I would drill various size holes so you can use different size drills later. Just set the v groove on the BT and put your drill through the the tightest hole to keep the bit square and drill.

I recommend buying a short length of rail that you can use to test the rail buttons. That way you'll know if they are okay before you get to the launch site.

-- Roger

Back