Wildman Rocketry Blackhawk 38 build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so getting ready for the second set of fillets!
And here it is all taped up:
IMG_4113.jpg
And after weighing the glue, and mixing it up. I then went on to spread the glue with a spoon onto the "designated areas."
That's what I use, is a spoon. it smooths the fillets quite well! What do you guys use?
And here they are:
IMG_4115.jpgIMG_4116.jpgIMG_4117.jpg
And I'll be removing the tape soon, and will post pictures of that as well.

Thanks,

Looking good Andrew.

I have my proffered methods posted here on TRF somewhere.. West systems, west systems #405 thickeners, then a hotel room key withy a radius cut in f I want a bigger fillet radius. No tape, but a few sheets of paper towels to wipe up drips & goops.

After 24 hours of drying, here's the second set of fillets:
IMG_4121.jpgIMG_4125.jpg

And now onto the 3rd set! :)

Thanks,

The last set of fillets has been finished!
Here it is all taped up and ready for glue:
IMG_4126.jpg

And after mixing the last batch of epoxy for this, here it is:
IMG_4127.jpgIMG_4128.jpgIMG_4129.jpg
I'll post pictures of the finished project after I get the tape off soon.

Oh, and thank you OC_Rocket_Man for recommending the scale! :)
It's worked super well and was very much worth the 11 dollars!
IMG_4130.jpg

Thanks,

I've been working on the E-Bay recently.

I started with drilling the holes needed in the aluminum bulk plates.
IMG_0010.jpgIMG_0012.jpg

Not pictured, I glued the eyebolt & ejection charge wells on.
Pictures coming soon.

I'm glad to be back to building the Blackhawk 38 again! :)

Thanks,

Do you have a Jolly Logic Chute release you could test the chute on and see if it fits? I'm thinking of doing the same thing you are, but I thought about ditching the AV bay and doing a single deploy with a Chute Release. I am afraid it is right on the cusp of fitting.

Do you have a Jolly Logic Chute release you could test the chute on and see if it fits? I'm thinking of doing the same thing you are, but I thought about ditching the AV bay and doing a single deploy with a Chute Release. I am afraid it is right on the cusp of fitting.
I actually don't own a JLCR, but if I did, I would totally try it out!

I don't like the dual deploy setup that I have, BTW.

Thanks,

It's a pretty tight fit for the JLCR. Maybe if you had a really thin chute? I have not been able to make the JLCR work in a 1.6" tube myself. Here's a pic of the JLCR in the Blackhawk 38 tube. (Mine is setup for DD)

cheers - mark

20180620_183128.jpg

It's a pretty tight fit for the JLCR. Maybe if you had a really thin chute? I have not been able to make the JLCR work in a 1.6" tube myself. Here's a pic of the JLCR in the Blackhawk 38 tube. (Mine is setup for DD)

cheers - mark

View attachment 356134

I used a JLCR in a 38mm LOC tube until it shredded on an H255. It fit fine- even with an Estes style tri-fold. This was with an 18" (over the top) elliptical chute. It did take some careful packing but it had no problems- if you have motor eject, you'll have plenty of power to get that bundle out.

I use a Chute Release on my Mini Tomach (1.6") with a Top Flite 18" parachute. Works fine.

Why not? Let’s see those pics!
Building an E-bay for a small rocket like this is just a pain in the neck.
Then it's difficult to get everything needed onto the bulkplate (ejection charge well, threaded rods, etc.)

Pics and other updates on the build coming soon when I have time...

Thanks,

Well it a not that difficult...takes a bit of thinking things through. Helps when you have some experience under your belt. Why I always frown on newbies from doing small minimum diam stuff, before having larger [easier] diameter projects under ones belt.Doing larger av-bays is so much simpler.

Here is the original av-bay, from the first BH 38 from 2010. Use # 6 all thread & 3/16th eyebolts.
Sled had tube glued to bottom center and fits over just one tie rod, so it's low in the bay with room on top so battery will fit. Back then the Perfectflite HiAlt 45 was a darn small altimeter. Now you can get ones half that size for 1/2 the cost.
This setup qualifies as "antique" by todays standards....LOL
100_8344.jpg

You don't need charge canisters on the BP's really....I just use glove tips for my charges, hooked direct to altimeter.

Your doing pretty good for a project like this and you seem to soak up knowledge like a sponge....you can always re-configure the bay, to make it easier to use.....number 1 priority on my sport rockets...ease of use.

What size all thread & E-bolts did you use?

The pic is from the build manual, did you browse through that & the explanations?

Building an E-bay for a small rocket like this is just a pain in the neck.
Then it's difficult to get everything needed onto the bulkplate (ejection charge well, threaded rods, etc.)

Pics and other updates on the build coming soon when I have time...

Thanks,

You don’t need ejection charge wells . There are other options.. rubber glove tips, surgical tubing, tape, plastic vials ( search eppendorf tubes) ..etc

38mm Ebays are real simple with this MissleWorks system. https://www.missileworks.com/store/#!/RRC2-38mm-9V-Modular-Sled-System/p/35226720/category=9045099 Even if you dont use one of these, making your own sled is easy. Two empty cardboard tubes that AT 29mm motor ignitors/starters come in, glued to a 1/8" plywood sled. With the small size Lipo's and alts, everything fits easy/tight.
View attachment 356501 View attachment 356502 View attachment 356503
I didn't realize Missileworks had that system... I think you just sold me on a Blackhawk and MW system, LoL!

Hey Rockets, where are you?
We want to see how you solve the issue.
OK, well I actually started the E-Bay like a month ago, but here it is:
Instead of using metal threaded rods, I figured I would experiment and try kevlar instead.
I know, it does sound really odd, but it does work just how I wanted it to.

I'm also using ejection charge wells. They're actually 38 special casings. One on each bulkhead, tacked with JB Weld.
And there's 1 additional drilled hole in the bulkhead. That's for the E-Match to go through, and go into the ejection charge well.

The next big thing for me to figure out is how I will approach the nose cone...
IMG_4629.JPG

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_4621.JPG
    IMG_4621.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_4622.JPG
    IMG_4622.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_4623.JPG
    IMG_4623.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_4624.JPG
    IMG_4624.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_4625.JPG
    IMG_4625.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_4626.JPG
    IMG_4626.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_4627.JPG
    IMG_4627.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 219
A couple of questions & comments Andrew. How are you going to snug the bulk heads to the AV bay itself? Can you actually get a good enough seal with the kevlar cord? I see some sharp edges too where the kevlar penetrates the bulk head. You will probably want to seal up the holes with silicon RTV or poster tac where kevlar penetrates bulk head if you do stick with kevlar. Personally I have never seen that done before. Also Are those wood screws you are using for eyebolts? Didn't kit come with some SS welded eyebolts? I would consider screwing those .38 cartridges to the bulkhead, just to be sure they don't come off from impact of some sort.

A couple of questions & comments Andrew. How are you going to snug the bulk heads to the AV bay itself? Can you actually get a good enough seal with the kevlar cord? I see some sharp edges too where the kevlar penetrates the bulk head. You will probably want to seal up the holes with silicon RTV or poster tac where kevlar penetrates bulk head if you do stick with kevlar. Personally I have never seen that done before. Also Are those wood screws you are using for eyebolts? Didn't kit come with some SS welded eyebolts? I would consider screwing those .38 cartridges to the bulkhead, just to be sure they don't come off from impact of some sort.
The bulkheads are tied with kevlar to the E-bay. It's well sealed.
I just bought some eyebolts from the hardware store, didn't pay attention to if they're meant for wood or not. The Blackhawk 38 didn't come with any eyebolts.
I will try and screw the cartridges to the bulkhead.

Thanks,

Andrew, there is a reason Tim said that he had never seen your kevlar method before and thats because IT WONT WORK. Sounds harsh but thats why you never see that method used by others. Go with the all thread method, it's been around for a long time for a reason, it simply works. Believe me you are not the first to think you built the better mouse trap.
And those charge wells will snap off. It happened to me.

Andrew, here are a few pics of my BH38. I used a single 8-32 threaded rod.
Also how on earth are you going to attach the Kevlar to the sled?
IMG_4567.jpgIMG_4568.jpgIMG_4569.jpg

Andrew I wish you all the best with your Kevlar method but kiss it good bye when the button gets pushed, if it gets that far. The method I post in these pictures, is a method that's been around since before you were born. People use this method because it's tried and true and plain and simple, it works. Look some one up in your club and see if they can work with you. Don't get discouraged either, every body here thinks they built a better mouse trap.

Attachments

• ebay1.jpg
    ebay1.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 183
  • ebay2.jpg
    ebay2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 181
  • ebay3.jpg
    ebay3.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 172
Back