Wildman Rocketry Blackhawk 38 build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
Here is the build of the Wildman Rocketry Blackhawk 38 high performance rocket kit.

First I want to explain the details of the rocket:

The WM Blackhawk 38 will be a dual deploy high performance rocket with tracking & more.

Airframe:
The airframe is made of a mix of fiberglass & carbon fiber, it's very strong!
The fins are 1/8 inch think made of graphite, and are very strong for being 1/8 inch thick fins!
The nose cone is also Carbonite, with an aluminum tip!! Cool! :)

Speeds could bring this rocket up to mach 2.

And here are the parts:
IMG_3955.jpgIMG_3956.jpg

Wildman forgot to put the fin guides in the order, so the fins will not go on until Monday.
Kudos to Wildman rocketry for taking care of this matter so soon, and getting the guides with Priority Mail so soon!
THANK YOU WM!

Thanks,

After removing the parts from the bag, I washed them in the tub.

All washed up:
IMG_3957.jpg

Then I sanded the root edge of the fins:
IMG_3962.jpg

Then I sanded the shock cord mount, coupler and NC:
IMG_3963.jpgIMG_3964.jpg

Then I bathed them again, and all done!
IMG_3961.jpg

More to come on Monday.

Thanks,

Easy, grasshopper. First flight should be on a G-something so you can watch it and make sure everything works as planned.

Easy, grasshopper. First flight should be on a G-something so you can watch it and make sure everything works as planned.

That is really good advice. Rockets like this disappear rapidly, and are not readily visible at much altitude. I recommend a large G or a small H for a shake down flight. You need to make sure the deployment takes place as you planned, and if you are using a new tracking system a warp speed flight is not the best time and place to be using your tracker the first time.

Get some help with the tracking. The RDF stuff is a skill and an art, the GPS stuff is not fool proof. I'd hate to see you lose your goods on it's shake down flight. I also concur with the G flight. My first dual deploy was a G powered flight in a 54mm kit. It went much higher than I anticipated, yours will go higher.

Get some help with the tracking. The RDF stuff is a skill and an art, the GPS stuff is not fool proof. I'd hate to see you lose your goods on it's shake down flight. I also concur with the G flight. My first dual deploy was a G powered flight in a 54mm kit. It went much higher than I anticipated, yours will go higher.

Another vote for a G flight. I'm just finishing up a 38mm Blackhawk. I'm aiming to put it to 1000-1500ft for it's first flight so I can see the whole flight. After I am sure everything is working perfectly, then I'll throw in some bigger motors.

Mine has a Quantum in the AV bay and an Eggtimer mini in the nose, plenty of room there for a tracker.

cheers - mark

Andrew, these rockets are little speed demons. Believe Mark when he says they will get out of sight very quickly. It only takes a couple thousand feet to loose site of them.
Im planning a G76-10 for my maiden flight. Sims to approx 1500 ft at 70 fps off the rail and I want to see the whole flight. Only after I have at least a couple successful flights under my belt will I go for extreme altitudes and speed. I have a few successful flights with my GD38 to as high as 15000' but I started with quite a few lower alt flights and worked up. FWIW I use MissleWorks trackers exclusively.

Test flight will now be on an Aero-Tech H100W. It's the smallest H I can stick in it.

The H100W should get it up to around 2000'. Should be able to see it all happen.

Gonna try to work on the E-bay tonight, but not sure if you can drill metal with a drill bit meant for wood? I won't do anything about that until I know for sure. Safety First!

Thanks,

If the drill bits are HSS (high speed steel), cobalt, or titanium twist drills, they'll work on metal.

Good show on the motor reduction but you could still dial it back a touch. Look at it this way, you plan to fly this rocket a lot right? If so then there is no hurry getting to the H's, I's or J's. I can tell you that while it's a rush to fly one out of sight, it's also terrifying once the thought trickles into your head that you may never see it again. Just possessions and all but it is also a fruit of your labor and a step along your rocketry path.

It is easy to overlook the power of an H when all you read on the forums are about guys popping K's through N's. You start to consider an H as if you would consider a C6. Not even remotely the case. This comes from a guy that loves H's in little rockets not meant for them. They zip right out of sight unbelievably quick and if it wasn't for my tracker and the practice I put into it, I'd never see them again. I mean one of my all time favorite flight has to have been my LOC Onyx on a AT H250G. The only thing you could see of the flight was the smoke trail it left.

[video=youtube;DgTDvLuZsRM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgTDvLuZsRM[/video]

Andrew, I’ve launched mine a few times on H motors and like others have said, you won’t see it once it leaves the pad. Unless it lands in the immediate area, be darn sure you’re familiar with your tracking device.

I guess I can adapt it down so it can fly it on a G79W SU motor.
I don't have the laptop with me, so I currently don't have OpenRocket available, but I'm guessing it'll go around 1K on a Aero-Tech SU G79W.

Thanks,

Speaking of high power, did you ever get your junior L1? And what ever happened to your Minuteman?

I can tell you that while it's a rush to fly one out of sight, it's also terrifying once the thought trickles into your head that you may never see it again. Just possessions and all but it is also a fruit of your labor and a step along your rocketry path.

There's a golden rule to models, be it rocket, R/C planes, or even cars..

"If you can't afford to loose it, you can't afford to fly (or drive) it"

Works with a lot of things, actually..

I've run into a bit of a problem..
How can I get the correct ratio of the hi temp epoxy, when I don't have a scale for it?

I know it's probably not a good idea to guess it, so without a scale, how could I do this?

This project is on hold for just a bit.

Although some more pictures of the build will be coming tonight.

Thanks,

A scale is the only way you are going to accurately measure Proline 4500. Wildman only gives you enough just for the fillets so you don't want to guess. Does anyone in your household reload? I use my reloading scale. Walmart sells cheap scales too.
This stuff mixes 1:1 and is as strong or better than Proline: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZY7LYWM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
How can I get the correct ratio of the hi temp epoxy, when I don't have a scale for it?
I know it's probably not a good idea to guess it, so without a scale, how could I do this?

You need a scale. Get one like this :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EPO9M2Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

$13

and use it every time you mix epoxy.

I used a stir stick to scoop the resin & hardener from their containers into a disposable plastic shot glass from the dollar store. Use a different stir stick for each of those. Measure 3 grams of hardener (smaller container) into the disposable shot glass, tare the scale then add 15 grams of resin. Mix, then use that to put on two fillets. Repeat twice more and you have used up just about all of the epoxy.

cheers - mark

1 oz = 28.3 grams. I can’t make out the units on the bottom of scale. What does it say?

Spend the 13 dollars and get an appropriate scale. A high performance rocket needs proper care when building.

$13

I used a stir stick to scoop the resin & hardener from their containers into a disposable plastic shot glass from the dollar store. Use a different stir stick for each of those. Measure 3 grams of hardener (smaller container) into the disposable shot glass, tare the scale then add 15 grams of resin. Mix, then use that to put on two fillets. Repeat twice more and you have used up just about all of the epoxy.

cheers - mark

This one is a better choice - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKFLVKB/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is 500g x 0.01g resolution. $9 and Prime eligible. Just ordered one myself.

This project is on hold for just a bit.

Although some more pictures of the build will be coming tonight.

Thanks,

$13

cheers - mark
You can grab a digital scale at Harbor Freight for like $5 if they're in stock. Mine measures to 0.1g and works great for this kind of thing.
Be warned... They might look at you funny when you buy it. Don't worry though, they're just used to junkies stealing them to weigh out their baggies. I only know because I asked the guy why he was looking at me cross eyed. LoL

I'll be tacking the fins on today with JB Weld.

Waiting for the scale to come, and then I'll use the Proline 4500 for fillets.

Thanks,

Back