Blackhawk 38 instructions & fin guides

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
Well, I got the Blackhawk 38 today!
Everything seems to be here, except the fin guides. Does anybody here on TRF have the fin guides for the Blackhawk 38 that I could buy or borrow?

I'm also looking for the instructions. Can't seem to find them online. Anybody here have the file for them?

Build thread hopefully coming soon.

Thanks,

Call Tim Lehr during business hours and nicely remind him that he forgot fin guides in your kit order. If a parent or brother bought it for you since your still young, have them call. Calling will work better than an email if he is busy this time of year. Mr. Lehr forgot the aft set of fins in a RB-05A sport kit once and he FedEx'd the aft set of fins free of charge. This happens from time to time, but Tim is quick to take care of clients. He should have fin guides to send you for free. The Blackhawk 29 has an assembly manual and fin guides. Maybe ask him to email the manual to you.

The coupler went on the inside of the airframe attaching shock cord to nose and coupled with chute tied on. The fin jigs went over the tube, the fins slid into slots. On the Bh29 the quarter inch taped off area of the fin root area was surface sanded with 60 grit. A lot of people on TRF complain use 220. At root touching body tube, at top and bottom of fin surfaces. The body tube was lightly sanded where fins contact. Then clean and epoxy it recommends one fin at a time. It'll dry sand finish real nicely from 220 grit to 1200 grit. On the 29 the fins were like an inch and half from rear of tube. You can friction fit the casing and epoxy your 1010 rail buttons on. Never played with the 38, I assume it's just bigger but it should go together similar. You might want to wash your parts if your particular. I know I've weighed stuff and measured it before an OR sim. Before he changed the website the 29 had a manual on the product page it was on where you could add to cart. I can't say much of the 38... That's just the jist of how it goes together on a bh29. Those were about 2.4 Stability margin out of box on a h118. Chute was aft rear as possible. It wasn't bad like other kits without manuals or having more pieces. You'll want a GPS or radio tracker. You may not see it for awhile on descent. No BH38 experience you might find a thread on one.

I called and Jackie has taken care of everything!
They'll send the fin alignment guides with Priority Mail so it gets to me ASAP, and she also sent me the pdf file of the instructions! :)

Very good customer service!

And while I wait for the fin guides to come in the mail, is there any building I can do on the rocket that doesn't involve fins?
I've already given it a bath, dried it, etc..

Thanks,

yes, did you look at Jims build thread? Did you read the instructions Jackie sent?
Start by washing all fiberglass. Sand anything that needs to be glued with 60-80 grit & wash again with soapy water. Look at AV bay. How you gonna mount your electronics. It is a very small AV bay. Mark where fins need to go. Drill vent holes.
Read instructions again!

yes, did you look at Jims build thread? Did you read the instructions Jackie sent?
Start by washing all fiberglass. Sand anything that needs to be glued with 60-80 grit & wash again with soapy water. Look at AV bay. How you gonna mount your electronics. It is a very small AV bay. Mark where fins need to go. Drill vent holes.
Read instructions again!

Yes I have.

Thank you!!

I'll start the build thread soon.

Thanks,

Back