Switchblade XP from Arkansas [J&H Aerospace]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think J&H Aerospace is headed the right direction, by moving these models up to the A/B/C motor sizes.

I intend to "use up" my three remaining A10-3T motors, then do another thread to convert this model to the 18mm motors.

I'll definitely be tuning in with interest. With the extra weight of the components I'm sure you'd get some pretty satisfying height and flight times with an 18mm motor.

Keep in mind that this is a light balsa model, and is therefore FRAGILE.

The most important investment for this model just might be a container to carry it in.

I damaged the rear fuselage before the first flight, but was able to repair it with CA.

The most important investment for this model just might be a container to carry it in.

*This*

Seriously, I guess I never thought of the fact that this is an issue. In free flight rubber power, everything lives in boxes when it's not in use. I guess I forgot that this isn't standard practice in rocketry. And indeed, it makes sense that it wouldn't be. Whelp...time for another youtube video. :)

Finally got another flight in on my SwitchBlade XP. Conditions were a bit windy (10 mph), but not horrible.

The model performed very well! :) Mine is a little heavy, but that may help some of the flight performance in the wind.

m_IMG_3589small.jpg

m_IMG_3590small.jpg

I also made a launch pad for the 1/8 inch launch rod. Something with a bigger footprint to hold a rocket glider steady. Worked very well in the wind.

Made from PVC pipe that I got from the hardware store. Short legs are 1 foot, long leg is 2 feet long. Blast plate from an old launch pad. The sand-off is some thin wall metal pipe

NOTE: I assembled my legs wrong. The long leg should be on the side where the launch rod is leaning. :oops:

m_IMG_3591small.jpg

One of the aspects of the recent flight was the launch trajectory caused by the wind.

I expected the SwitchBlade to react like a rocket, and nose into the wind. But that is not what happened; the model was blown in the same direction of the wind, and arced over in the same direction of the wind.

When the wings popped open, I turned the model into the wind, and had a slow decent.

I love this. So good to see others flying these designs. My XP is in semi-retirement just because the newer ones fly a good bit better, but I should probably get it out and fly it more often. It's definitely a very light airplane and floats nicely.

I find it interesting yours is going opposite the wing. Mine always weathercocked badly unless I put it up on a piston to get some extra speed.

Glad to see you're still enjoying your Switchblade. Was this flight with the larger 18mm motor?

I used an A10-3T again. When I use these up, I hope to go to the 18mm motors (I have two of the A10-3T left.)

My lack of flights has been due to two problems (that had nothing to do with the model):

WIND - I had decided that I could only fly this model in very calm conditions. I was wrong. After the recent flight, I am much more confident in the ability of my SwitchBladeXP to handle 10 mph winds.

LAUNCH PAD - The launch pad I built is simpler to set up, and more sturdy. So, if it is easier to go fly, then I am more likely to go fly.

When I modify the model for the 18mm motors, I will post it. (J&H has already sent me the stuff.) ;)

Had some decals left over from another project. Everybody knows that models fly better with stickers on them! :D

m_IMG_3600small.jpg

m_IMG_3601small.jpg

Here is a launch of my Switchblade RC rocket glider at Memphis, Tennessee, on Dec. 29, 2018. This got a little exciting...…:eek:

If you have young kids around, you might want to turn the sound down.....:oops:

To begin, the camera is looking from the south to the north. The wind is out of the northeast; launch rod is pointing north. Using an A10-3T motor.

Shortly into the video, you hear an alarm go off. This alarm has nothing to do with the launch; it is coming from the electronics on another rocket.

REMEMBER: My model is HEAVY. I can't get the typical height out of the A10 motor. But everything turns out ok. o_O

J&H has sent me a motor upgrade kit, which I will be installing soon.

Let me start by saying that this flight really bothered me, because the rocket arced over to the crowd in attendance for the launches. Whether I am flying RC airplanes, or rockets, or rocket gliders, I try to conduct my hobbies in a safe manner. Also, the Mid-South Rocket Society in Memphis, TN, works hard to conduct safe launches.

The launch pad has a 5 degree lean, and is pointed toward the north (the direction the camera is facing). The wind was out of the north at 10 to 15 mph most of the day.

What happens in the video is, rather than arcing to the north, the rocket glider arcs to the east (right of camera). After apogee, my Switchblade starts to come down directly over the crowd (not a big crowd). Fortunately, the Switchblade performs perfectly (as usual): the engine ejects the nosecone, which releases the wings. The rocket glider makes a short, but effective, glide to the launch area.

I have several flights on my Switchblade, and most of the time it flies straight up.

In this case, I believe the wind shifted, to more of a northeast direction. This caused the rocket glider to 'weather-vane', and arc into the wind. This is what carried the model over the crowd.

This flight was NOT due to the design of the J&H Aerospace Switchblade. In fact, the reliability of the design averted an incident.

I should have delayed launch, until the wind shifted to a more favorable direction. :rolleyes:

I finally got around to flying my Switchblade-s from J & H Aerospace last Saturday on a 1/2A3T-2. Unfortunately, the model shredded almost immediately after take-off. The tail-section broke off along with the front pylon with the motor mount. I don't have any pictures. I don't know what happened. I did not bend the wing pivot rods back as recommended in the directions. Was that the problem?

I finally got around to flying my Switchblade-s from J & H Aerospace last Saturday on a 1/2A3T-2. Unfortunately, the model shredded almost immediately after take-off. The tail-section broke off along with the front pylon with the motor mount. I don't have any pictures. I don't know what happened. I did not bend the wing pivot rods back as recommended in the directions. Was that the problem?
The engineering and design isn't to blame. It's very good in fact. However the balsa tends to be very lightweight (hence the good performance). It's not the more robust C grain stuff, so any minor flaw in the balsa fuse (like a hairline fracture that wasn't visible) coupled with any torque from the boost could have caused it to come apart. That said, I've flown mine 4 times without incident. Just luck of the draw I guess. It's a trade-off between light weight and strength.

On the other hand, my J&H Aerospace Windlance D snapped its fuse after a breeze blew it off the RSOs folding table. The drop was only 29" onto crop stubble.

Last edited:
Back