Switchblade XP from Arkansas [J&H Aerospace]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, the Switchblade-XL comes with really good instructions. There is a parts list, and everything is well packaged. The balsa is of very good quality.

m_IMG_2893.jpg m_IMG_2894.jpg

Be aware that there are some LITTLE parts, which can be a challenge:

m_IMG_2897.jpg

I decided to keep them on a sheet of paper, so I can SEE them!

Starting with the wings. There is an insert to help the alignment of the reinforcing layers.

m_IMG_2899.jpg

Adding the hook, bushing, and guide.

m_IMG_2900.jpg

More views. Man, putting all this together was challenging. Used CA glue, per the instructions.

m_IMG_2904.jpg m_IMG_2905.jpg

By the way, one of the loops went 'ping' out of my mini-needle nose pliers. VANISHED. Had to fashion another one.

Ever forward! (and quickly, when you use CA glue)

Got the engine pod on:

m_IMG_2911.jpg

And here is the nose cone. That piece of wire is very special, and is secured with kevlar string.

m_IMG_2912.jpg

OK, time to rig the wing swing mechanism. Start by attaching kevlar string to loop, and running UNDER the hinge arm. (See where the pencil is pointing.)

m_IMG_2913.jpg m_IMG_2914.jpg

Note that I used a rubber band to hold the wings in "launch" or "folded" position. This is a very big, very loose hold on the wings.

m_IMG_2915.jpg

Running the kevlar string.

m_IMG_2916.jpg

Alright, got the rubberband in place......

m_IMG_2918.jpg

...and pop the nose cone. It works! :surprised:

m_IMG_2920.jpg

Looking at the top of the wing.

m_IMG_2919.jpg

I would rate this engineering design as: NIFTY. :headbang:

The ejection of the nose cone allows the string to go SLACK. This allows the wing to rotate into position, with the rubber band pulling (and holding) the wing.

Pretty neat. :w:

So, being me, it is time for something to go Wrong. I am supposed to crimp and epoxy the aluminum tubes on the hinge arms to keep the wings in place.

Kind of over-crimped. This is why God made 5-minute epoxy.

m_IMG_2921.jpg

Time to work on the tailfeathers (elevator and rudder). Rather than use the iron on covering supplied in the kit, I am going to use Blenderm tape (made by 3M) for my hinges.

m_IMG_2922.jpg

Put down about a 2 inch strip of Blenderm on each side, on the non-beveled surface. Had about a 1/2 millimeter gap between the elevator and the horizontal stabilizer.

m_IMG_2926.jpg

Now attaching Blenderm to the beveled side.

m_IMG_2927.jpg

And using my fingernail to stick the Blenderm into the hinge gap.

m_IMG_2928.jpg

Blenderm is very sticky. If you don't like your hinge, then cut it with an xacto knife. Leave the old tape in place, and re-apply. Blenderm is also sold as "Hinge Tape" by Dubro.

m_IMG_2929.jpg

Got my control horn location messed up. :bang:

m_IMG_2934.jpg

Well, that won't work. So, I snipped off the elevator control horn.

m_IMG_2935.jpg

Over the years, I have learned that a single color model is difficult to see in the sky. So, I painted the bottom orange.

m_IMG_2941.jpg

And the top is white.

m_IMG_2940.jpg

Back