Looking for new launch pads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim cubbedge

Staff member
Global Mod
Reaction score
Our club is expanding due to new improved launch site & we're picking up other fliers from another club since they have reduced the number of launches per year so we are basically in need of more pads. Currently we are using Quad Pods but as most of you know, they are no longer available. Anybody have any recommendation for some heavy duty pads similar to Quad Pod design?
Thanks in advance!

Here's what we use. You would have to have someone cut and drill the L shaped piece and the angled blast deflector. There is a notch/hole in the base of the L piece so the bottom of the launch rail can swing down when the top pin is pulled. The rest is made from 1010 and 1030 rail.

You would have to order the parts, have the steel parts made and assemble them. Not as easy as ordering them, and they are not easy to transport if you can't leave them in the field the whole season. But if you can let them sit out, they hold up to weather and abuse amazingly well. Our pads are at least 10 year old and the bases have never been stored inside.

These sit in the field from October to April. From April to October, the launch rail and pins are inside, but the whole base sits outside stacked against the sea container.

These are the 1010 pads and good to about 20 lbs. We used the same design for 1515 rails for up to 40 lbs. It helps to use longer launch rails (12" work well) on the 1515 since the 8 ft. rails are a little short for that size.

IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

I currently use a Triton Multi-Stand with a 3 m 1010 rail and blast plate bolted to it. It is relatively cheap and has been a great stand. It can be pegged to the ground for the heavier high power rockets.

I also bolt on a 1 m length of 30x50 mm Aluminium box section to hold four different sized rods for the low power models.

P6040018_small.jpgGetImage.jpg

Check out Frankum Performance. I have not used the pads, but his igniters are great.

I helped Royce go from the TRI-1 to the TRI-2 design, and our club has 3 of them. We've had them for about 3 years and they have held up well (and we launch every month, year around). It's a lot of pad for the price.

Jim

Our club was recently donated a Apogee Gun Turret Pad, very nice but on the expensive side at just under $500. We recently priced building some Coker style pads and they are running nearly $200 each if made of steel (stainless and aluminum were almost twice as expensive).

Our club was recently donated a Apogee Gun Turret Pad, very nice but on the expensive side at just under $500. We recently priced building some Coker style pads and they are running nearly $200 each if made of steel (stainless and aluminum were almost twice as expensive).

I'm building 4 more of the 'modified' Coker pads... https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?138634-Modified-John-Coker-pads The cost of materials (aluminum with SS hardware) went up about $50 per pad since last year. Materials run about $350 for each pad less the rails.

Tony

Back