AT G8?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary said I could fly one in one of my RC rgs at ldrs, they are targeted for the bps guided rockets with a 17+ second burn where airspeed off the pad isn't critical, the spike is small and thrust is pretty flat.

What's a bps guided rocket? Any idea what the diameter/length is on one of these?

29mm by 5.7" I think and 150 grams. Search bps rocket on Google or there is a thread here on rcgroups.

Any idea if it will be certified? Or is it unobtanium?

8 Newtons, can it even lift itself with 5:1 thrust to weight ratio? Kinda cool for an RC glider though.

They are prototype motors, the BPS designs are actively guided with motor vectoring and use no launch rod/rail so 5:1 is not required. Or as an upper stage electronically fired in a very light model that is aready moving.
It's a little longer and not quite an ounce heavier than a G12

31784921_1786236611398904_4279462455471505408_o.jpg

facebook_1525872167368.jpg

Frank

Last edited:
Holy mackeral, 18 second burn time.
:y:

That should really be impressive with one of those BPS rockets.

8 Newtons, can it even lift itself with 5:1 thrust to weight ratio?
Just barely it looks like... starts off a bit over 2lbs of thrust and weighs 5.3oz loaded... Frank, does this even work with one of your gliders? Looks like it'd have barely 2:1 thrust to weight.

Foamboard pyramid or saucer? I want a stack of these things. Imagine one of those rocket helicopter things. Man alive that is cool.

It's way too heavy with too much propellent/cg shift for my kit size models with the motor mounted in the rear, I have my upscaled Orion Starliner that will weigh 29 oz rtf with this motor installed, Gary said we could try a launch at ldrs, I may have to angle the rod and put some wing supports to get it to clear, once it is off and leveled out it should have plenty to zoom around and have a moderate climb to altitude.

We'll see. In a phoenix with the motor mounted on the CG at around 23 oz liftoff weight it should be a lot of fun.

:y:

Frank, does this even work with one of your gliders? Looks like it'd have barely 2:1 thrust to weight.
7d7d6084daa31f4464fbd8e379c01b12.jpeg

Anybody have a RASP for this motor? I need this... Also a BPS system to go with it, but mostly just this...

This would be a good second stage motor to just sustain the velocity of the first stage. It is so weak that it probably won't accelerate a light weight upper stage, but if it can keep an upper stage already going 200mph for 17 seconds then that adds 5000' of altitude. Just imagine putting that same second stage atop of an H or I booster.

High, I'm Jim, the low-mid power director for LDRS. It is my job to make sure that we have a safe launch. I have a few questions.

How does this launch?

How does it fly? Is it a rocket or a rocket propelled airplane?

How will you control this to make sure it flies safely?

Is this motor legal in California?

Again my concern is safety. This will not fly if I am not convinced it is safe.

High, I'm Jim, the low-mid power director for LDRS. It is my job to make sure that we have a safe launch. I have a few questions.

How does this launch?

The BPS control system?

It's a gimballed motor mount kit for light MPR that aims to keep the rocket vertical without the help of fins. It favors longburn motors because they give longer controlled flight time (it has no control when not under power) as well as keeping airspeed down to keep the aerodynamics light. No control during coast seems like a downside, but if you watch some of their launch videos, the flight path ends up being a lot like a saucer- after burnout the nose points at 90 degrees to the flight path and the whole thing stops in its tracks from the added drag.

Some examples of the system in use here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCILl8ozWuxnFYXIe2svjHhg

I have many ideas for these motors, if only AT would sell me one (or several) :)

Right now the G8 is in the demo stage. I don't know if they can demo at LDRS but they plan on demo ing them at NSL. I have a monocopter that shoulddo great on this motor.

If you were asking me about the glider, it is RC and proven on many flights, I'm not sure on the Calif legality of the g8, I can fly on g 12s if it isn't ok. All my gliders launch vertically from a standard rail and are under control from launch through landing. I assume there is no issue with RC rocket gliders at ldrs, they follow ama and nar guidelines, don't think Tripoli has any special restrictions that are different. If there is an issue let me know asap as I won't drive 13 hours then as that's all I'm bringing.

Frank

How does this launch?

Last edited:
A beautiful flight for BPS with the new motor. TWR of 1.2ish, corkscrew at the end is due to the gimbal mount melting from the heat of the motor.

[video=youtube;5rqmxqqp5CQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rqmxqqp5CQ[/video]

Interesting I was wondering about the heat in that long a burn, just saw Gary said they were going to try a g10 next

What kind of voodoo is this? 17 second burns? Thrust vectoring? Ain't this hobby cool? 😎

Very cool. I think slightly higher thrust would be better, needs just a bit more speed lifting off. IMHO.

Yeah I don't think you could really launch this on a single stage unless you had a very log launch rail. However, putting it on a second stage could be very interesting.

Back