AT G8?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I don't think you could really launch this on a single stage unless you had a very log launch rail. However, putting it on a second stage could be very interesting.

I don't think it's really intended for any normal rocket at all, although it is at least theoretically possible for a second stage. But even for the BPS rocket I would have preferred to see a little more umph off the pad. I look forward to seeing how the G10 performs.

Here's an AeroTech (Enertek) G10-8, circa 1988.

View attachment 344429View attachment 344430

G008.monocopter.jpg

https://v-serv.com/usr/motors/g8.html

Just to tempt you guys...BPS started taking orders today for their next generation thrust vectoring unit. My wallet is in pain, but I’m really excited about the possibilities.

Just to tempt you guys...BPS started taking orders today for their next generation thrust vectoring unit. My wallet is in pain, but I’m really excited about the possibilities.

Yep I ordered one too , my son and I have been waiting for this release. This will be fun.

Trying to read their minds, thrust vectoring leaves the model unstable for the coast phase.
With thrust this low, however, there is very little coast phase.

I saw the video, and it looks like an authentic slow launch of a real rocket.
It's so cool, it could draw me back into the hobby.

With an end-burn of 17.7 seconds, it's going to get very hot, though.

I Demoed the G8 at LDRS on a monocopter. It was perfect. The case does get very hot so that is something to consider when building for it. I suggest phenolic motor tube.

I Demoed the G8 at LDRS on a monocopter. It was perfect. The case does get very hot so that is something to consider when building for it. I suggest phenolic motor tube.

Pics? Video? Please??!?!?!

;^)

Karl, your monocopter flights were amazing. The Night Flight was awesome. But the day flight was even better when you can see it spinning around. I'm happy to have camped next to you and seen all your Rockets. And thanks for the beer.

Here is a youtube video. [video=youtube;RakAmWJe-QE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RakAmWJe-QE[/video] Unfortunately I am not very good at editing video so the monocopter is too small to see. I also can't figure out how to upload pictures.

Karl- curious- what was the dry weight on that monocopter? I need this motor

Here is a youtube video. [video=youtube;RakAmWJe-QE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RakAmWJe-QE[/video] Unfortunately I am not very good at editing video so the monocopter is too small to see. I also can't figure out how to upload pictures.

Awesome - do you have pics or drawings of this, or (fingers crossed) a build thread?

HOLY CRAP just saw BPS's flight. I WANT THIS MOTOR !!!

got an idea for a viable conventional take off. catapault. have a catapault on a long rail. burn string to "hold" the spring/bungie/rubbertube when motor fires burn string WOOSH assisted lift off. no fire no launch.

man that would be freaking cool!

I have a special rocket for this motor. We will just call it "waiver buster". Never been flown.

I am just kidding about the waiver buster part but it would bust most. Think CF minimum diameter.

The problem I have with this design is that the motor has to be so thin to fit in the guidance package, it has to be an end burn to get enough burn time. I would prefer to see deflector stabilization system (or thrust chamber articulated stab’ system) so that a larger (thicker) motor could be used.

The problem I have with this design is that the motor has to be so thin to fit in the guidance package, it has to be an end burn to get enough burn time.
The motor is 29 mm. An Estes Eliminator (used to be a Maniac) is stable on a G motor (unstable if launched in over 10 mph wind on a G20). Adding an altimeter to the nose cone will increase the stability margin a lot (motor has no ejection or delay).

The motor is 29 mm. An Estes Eliminator (used to be a Maniac) is stable on a G motor (unstable if launched in over 10 mph wind on a G20). Adding an altimeter to the nose cone will increase the stability margin a lot (motor has no ejection or delay).
Ok, 29mm isn’t so bad (it didn’t look that diameter in the videos i’ve Seen), but it is not the motor that I am critical of. It’s a fine design if you are comfortable with the limitations it offers. I am not. I would prefer to see more thrust-per-mass (there is probably a more professional term for that, but I don’t know it).

Merry Christmas everyone!

Good point. But it will take a long walk with apogee ejection unless you use a streamer.
If it's light enough for this motor you should definitely use a streamer, a 6in chute w/ a 20% spill hole would float it to the next county.

I posted this on Facebook but i guess everyone is not on Facebook. Here's a link to a flight of one of my Aerotech Phoenix gliders with the G8.

I did no adjusting of cg for the heavier motor and it flew fine. The end of the boost is a little wobbly as I was afraid it was going to go out of sight. (I'm old.)

I posted this on Facebook but i guess everyone is not on Facebook. Here's a link to a flight of one of my Aerotech Phoenix gliders with the G8.

I did no adjusting of cg for the heavier motor and it flew fine. The end of the boost is a little wobbly as I was afraid it was going to go out of sight. (I'm old.)

Thanks for posting this here Joe, I'm not a facebookers and wouldn't have seen it otherwise. Do you get any more height off the 29mm G8 compared to the 32mm G12? Based on total impulse I would expect comparable altitude, but I'm eager to hear your experience!

Kevin,

With just the one flight it is hard to say. It seemed to me that I had to pay attention to the initial boost a little closer on the G8. You can see a slight bobble after leaving the launcher and the trim was set for the G12 boost. Probably to be expected. Once moving, the longer burn seemed to more than make up for the slower lift off. I feel like it got higher than normal but need more empirical evidence. I do like this motor for my Phoenix.

I used some very long burn(32 and 40 seconds, H and I.) made by Kosdon.
All the usual make as light as possible, we had no altimeter/battery light enough so a fuse was used for ejection.
Was launched from a closed bottom tube with a piston and sabots. A black powder charge was lit by motor exhaust. Works most of the time.

Back