LPR replacement chutes for old plastic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBowmaster

Reaction score
I’m looking to upgrade my chutes from the standard Estes plastic to something more durable. I’v seen references to the thin mil chutes from Top Flite. Are there other similar alternatives?

On a related topic, can I safely cut a simple spill hole in nylon chutes or will I need to sew the edges?

I’m looking to upgrade my chutes from the standard Estes plastic to something more durable. I’v seen references to the thin mil chutes from Top Flite. Are there other similar alternatives?

On a related topic, can I safely cut a simple spill hole in nylon chutes or will I need to sew the edges?

Depending on how small the rocket space could become your enemy. I have upgraded several to the nylon PSII chute by Estes. I have also got several Top Flight. But is usually on airframes that have 29mm motor mounts. I’m not sure I could get a nylon chute in anything smaller.

Depending on how small the rocket space could become your enemy. I have upgraded several to the nylon PSII chute by Estes. I have also got several Top Flight. But is usually on airframes that have 29mm motor mounts. I’m not sure I could get a nylon chute in anything smaller.

It depends on the size of the chute. I've fit a 12" thin mil into a BT20.

Go to any party supply store and buy a couple plastic table cloths in whatever colors you like. Then, just cut the hex out at any size you want. It is tougher than the usual plastic for chutes (a good substitute for that is the plastic sacks from Target - soft and pliable unlike most store sacks). Apogee caries a nice kevlar thread to use for shroud lines: https://www.apogeerockets.com/Build...s_Recovery_Equipment/Shock_Cord/Kevlar_Thread

Since you mention the thin mil chutes, I infer that you are looking for something to fit a narrow body tube?

As gpoehlein suggests, you can cut and string your own. Emergency blanket mylar is cheap, reasonably tough, and packs small. Balloon mylar is tougher, and thicker -- American Science and Surplus has printed but uncut sheets of it.

Tim Van Milligan has a couple of videos about this, I think. I use THIS technique when stringing mylar parachutes (although, I tie the strings together at the center of the spill hole, rather than using a piece of tape).

For BT55 and lager, I've had good success with the tangle-free chutes that come attached to toys like THESE

Back