What's the problem with goodrocks1?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tramper Al

Reaction score
Other than the wicked high prices?

Why does he lay out all the kit's contents (that really ought to be sealed)?
Does he replace parts in vintage kits without saying so?
Other problems?

Thanks!

Yea, I've watched him for several years.
He open's unopened kits and puts in new pieces, then expects to sell them at collector's prices.
He's Asian, from Massachusetts. If you spend any time watching his game, you'll know enough to stay away from him.
If he buys from you, and the kit isn't perfect, he leaves you negative feedback as well.
If you read some of his feed back (I haven't recently) in the past he hasn't had such good reviews either with his gem sales.
You can classify him as a money monger chiseler.
You know, the kind of guy that use to drive around in cars from town to town selling crap out of the back of their car after WWII.

I purchased the from the seller. It was an Estes Athena #2026. My cousin had the rocket back in the 90's that we flew together. In 2014 I thought I'd be nice to have the kit myself so I won it from the seller for $19.99.
The kit was advertised as sealed but in fact I received an opened kit where the chrome nose cone (special part about the kit) was removed and replaced with a stand Estes nose cone painted in black. I was upset!

Thanks. I can't actually see the nosecone in the "new" but open and pieces laid out on table very expensive kit I am interested in. Oh well, probably not worth the risk.

I have bought from him several times and always had good transactions. However, I was not buying collector kits, and would not not have been upset as long as all the parts were there, and equal to the original. From the pictures and item descriptions that is what I expected. YMMV.

I purchased the from the seller. It was an Estes Athena #2026. My cousin had the rocket back in the 90's that we flew together. In 2014 I thought I'd be nice to have the kit myself so I won it from the seller for $19.99.
The kit was advertised as sealed but in fact I received an opened kit where the chrome nose cone (special part about the kit) was removed and replaced with a stand Estes nose cone painted in black. I was upset!
did you leave negative feedback?

Guy seems rather indignant that he can't sell engines and goes out on a limb to let you know. Items typically appear on a dirty, beat up table at unreasonably high prices. He also passes off built models that appear a child built at high prices as well. Yet he has good feedback percentages. Never have and never will buy from this guy. Just like that one fellow who promised the stars and the moon with his Saturn 1b that NEVER transpired. I still watch this one.

Had a discussion with friends a short while back about our parents identifying people by race. Everyone's parents did it. Seems like a generational thing. It’s not malicious or derogatory, just what they do.

Had a discussion with friends a short while back about our parents identifying people by race. Everyone's parents did it. Seems like a generational thing. It’s not malicious or derogatory, just what they do.

Yes, many in my parents generation did that. I agree that it was not intentionally malicious and that they didn’t know it was derogatory, but it should stop. Otherwise the examples are perpetuated for another generation.

Yes, many in my parents generation did that. I agree that it was not intentionally malicious and that they didn’t know it was derogatory, but it should stop. Otherwise the examples are perpetuated for another generation.
What's the preferred way to sketch someone's physical characteristics in sufficient detail that a third party who may not yet know them can pick them out?

I'm not being facetious, I just instantly jump to the largest characteristic groupings. Everyone can see from a ways off I'm causasiany, bald, overweight, tall. That's how I'd expect to be described.

Am I supposed to avoid saying Irish when talking about Conan O'Brien?

What's the preferred way to sketch someone's physical characteristics in sufficient detail that a third party who may not yet know them can pick them out?

I'm not being facetious, I just instantly jump to the largest characteristic groupings. Everyone can see from a ways off I'm causasiany, bald, overweight, tall. That's how I'd expect to be described.

It’s one thing to describe someone so they can be recognized. (causasiany, bald, overweight, tall.) Sometimes it’s practical to include ethnicity, but when that’s the only description it leads to profiling.
It’s simply wrong to issue a warning about dealing with someone and include ethnicity without some practical need within the list of reasons to beware.
However, simply describing Conan as Irish isn’t sufficient to identify him. I know a lot of Irish descendants (including many of my own relatives) who are not pale skinned redheads.

The question may not be facetious, but it seems a little disingenuous in context. What caught my attention was the juxtaposition of race (and geography) with the word "chiseler". Particularly as it seems unlikely that an eBay seller will need to be "picked out" by physical appearance by anybody in the thread.

Woody's Workshop has apologized and explained. My family includes members of various asian ethnicities, as well as a few residents of Massachusetts, which -- of course -- means that I have the authority to accept that apology and close the matter (also, some of my best friends are descendants of african slaves ^_^)

Woody -- BTW and sincerely -- thanks for using the word "chiseler." Keeping words like that in use enriches the english language. It is a useful and, apparently, apt description

As for whether it is okay to mention a person's race or ethnicity for purposes of identification, of course. Up to the point where you say "He's a middle aged white man of Sottish descent ... surprisingly, he might not be drunk, shouting angrily, or swinging wildly with two closed fists when you meet him."

It’s one thing to describe someone so they can be recognized. (causasiany, bald, overweight, tall.) Sometimes it’s practical to include ethnicity, but when that’s the only description it leads to profiling.
It’s simply wrong to issue a warning about dealing with someone and include ethnicity without some practical need within the list of reasons to beware.
However, simply describing Conan as Irish isn’t sufficient to identify him. I know a lot of Irish descendants (including many of my own relatives) who are not pale skinned redheads.

The question may not be facetious, but it seems a little disingenuous in context. What caught my attention was the juxtaposition of race (and geography) with the word "chiseler". Particularly as it seems unlikely that an eBay seller will need to be "picked out" by physical appearance by anybody in the thread.

Woody's Workshop has apologized and explained. My family includes members of various asian ethnicities, as well as a few residents of Massachusetts, which -- of course -- means that I have the authority to accept that apology and close the matter (also, some of my best friends are descendants of african slaves ^_^)

Woody -- BTW and sincerely -- thanks for using the word "chiseler." Keeping words like that in use enriches the english language. It is a useful and, apparently, apt description

As for whether it is okay to mention a person's race or ethnicity for purposes of identification, of course. Up to the point where you say "He's a middle aged white man of Sottish descent ... surprisingly, he might not be drunk, shouting angrily, or swinging wildly with two closed fists when you meet him."

Fair points. I didn't skim down to the chisely mongery bit; I just read it as a list of all-the-known-factoids. Anyhoo, that's probably enough thread derailing.

did you leave negative feedback?

I left positive feedback because I usually trust people. The problem in this case was that I was only able to open and inspect the package 3 months after receiving it (I'm in Germany but had it sent to a US address). Oh well.....

I left positive feedback because I usually trust people. The problem in this case was that I was only able to open and inspect the package 3 months after receiving it (I'm in Germany but had it sent to a US address). Oh well.....

leaving positive feedback on a negative experiment is just perpetuating the problem. Leaving positive feedback before you inspect the product is also disingenuous. Other buyers and sellers use that feedback to decide if they want to deal with a person and leaving feedback other than actual experience received seems to defeat the purpose of feedback. Why leave feedback at all?

Last edited:
It would be in a room full of Asian people.

True. I was walking on a crowded street in Taipei, Taiwan one day and I saw a white guy make a beeline for me from nearly a block away. He saw my height, red hair, and very pale complexion and hoped I would be able to help him find something. It was funnier at the time.

My father does this. He also talks loud in restaurants. This makes for interesting looks from people while getting burritos for dinner.

Back