Cesaroni Case Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motor casings are reusable and portable from rocket to rocket. A motor just slides in, gets retained at the aft end, and slides back out after flight. Clean it, reload it, stick it in another rocket.

I think that what a lot of TRF folks don't seem to realize, as per NFPA 1.3.3 (3), colleges are exempt from 1127. That means they can have their students design, build and launch rockets without all of the requirements of 1127. The only reason that college students need to certify in TRA or NAR is because they do their launches at TRA or NAR sanctioned launches. If the colleges had a launch site and their own waiver, they wouldn't need any certification to to allow students to launch any size rocket.

It is kind of scary when they show up at a TRA or NAR launch and want to do L3 without any practical experience.

Guys - I Thought this was a rather innocent request

To quote Mary Astor "Once you start asking questions, innocence is gone."

Now that's her quote not mine :) but after reading through this thread I think the simple answer to your question is that rocket motor tube construction to use the CTI motor would be the same as the AT. If you don't have the CTI hardware, get it and it should answer you questions.

I think that what a lot of TRF folks don't seem to realize, as per NFPA 1.3.3 (3), colleges are exempt from 1127. That means they can have their students design, build and launch rockets without all of the requirements of 1127. The only reason that college students need to certify in TRA or NAR is because they do their launches at TRA or NAR sanctioned launches. If the colleges had a launch site and their own waiver, they wouldn't need any certification to to allow students to launch any size rocket.

It is kind of scary when they show up at a TRA or NAR launch and want to do L3 without any practical experience.

Out in SoCal, the colleges all fly out of FAR, because FAR has the amateur rocketry FAA waiver. I know a student group that's going to launch an O in June... you're limited to M's at any CA hobby rocketry launch (even LDRS). The FAR folks are pretty good mentors... they've all got a lot of experience with big stuff.

That's a pretty stupid and dangerous approach, these colleges should be held to the same requirements that everyone else is in NAR, TRA, or CAR.
If no one on the team holds the appropriate certification, or they do not have an active mentor with the appropriate certification, then they can't acquire anything but a but a hobby level motor, case closed.

I mentored a team in the NASA SL and NASA requires a mentor with the appropriate certification to be part of the team and handle the motor, starters, and pyro charges, and help guide the team through the entire process of a high power design, build, and flight. NASA SL also requires extensive submittals before, during, and after construction, including simulations, plus a very rigorous pre-flight RSO inspection the day before the flight, along with all the same above requirements applied to an actual sub-scale model build and flight for real world proof of concept. Allowing someone to acquire a 98mm power plant that doesn't know how to install a motor retainer is not a good policy and will probably end up in a bad way.

check out spaceport cup.....ive had teams ask about building liquid motors, ask about retaining Big M and N motors, and even a team with ZERO flight experience doing the 30K flight on a minimum diameter 6" O motor.

Come on up to METRA June 2 and 3. Find the big red trailer next to (or connected to) the big red truck. bring your team & stuff and find me. I'll answer your questions, promise

rick (wildman ct)

Back