***CANCELLED*** MMMSC/CMASS Joint Launch 19 May, 2018 - Berwick, ME

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Central Massachusetts Spacemodeling Society and the Maine Missile Math and Science Club will be holding a joint launch at the MMMSC field in Berwick, Maine on 19 May 2018. This is a chance to fly to new heights and meet some new people. As is the policy for both clubs, if you are planning on flying any HPR, bring your current NAR/TRA card confirming your membership and showing your certification level. If you've recently joined or certified at a level but don't have your updated card yet, bring your temporary card and/or a print out from the national website to show you are allowed to fly the level you'd like to fly. If you're going for your Level 3 certification, you should know enough to have all your ducks in a row well before you get to the field. As usual, no sparky motor are allowed at our regular launches.

Jim Flis will be there with his fine line of products. If you need any specific kits or components from Jim, contact him ahead of time and he'll be happy to bring it to the field. Jim may also be flying some more RSO approved prototypes and, good or bad, that's always fun to watch.

Jason will be there covering all your AMWProX needs. If you're looking for anything in particular, check with them ahead of time. Remember to bring your 38 mm CTI reloads so Jason can check your delay grain holder. If it's from the bad batch, he'll replace it at no charge to you. Whether you are going to fly them that day or not, bring them along so they can be inspected and, if necessary, replaced.

Lunch will be the world famous CMASS hot dogs with the assorted salty and sweet snack sides along with many soft drinks.

We'll be using the CMASS circle set up for low- and mid-power flights with ample high-power pads set up from both clubs that there shouldn't be too much of wait to use one. Set up will begin about 9:30 in the morning with flying beginning when we're ready to go. We're scheduled to fly until 4 PM so please don't save a half-dozen Level 2 certification attempts until 3:30. :wink: Weather and field conditions will dictate where we set up and how high/long we'll be able to fly. Check here and at the clubs' websites/Facebook pages to see if anything changes. The new owner of the farm has more restrictive parking rules than we've had in Berwick before. The MMMSC launch on 05 May went well as we were able to park and set up near an area that is used by the farm equipment. There's no guarantee that space will be available or convenient for this launch.

Let us know what you'll be flying. We love to have a heads-up on anything really large or unusual. And as another reminder, NAR now requires electronic recovery deployment for any CTI Vmax motors. This will be an ongoing restriction until CTI can define and correct the matter. If your rocket has passive recovery (i.e., a saucer) you can fly Vmax motors without electronics.

For those of a mind to attend, there will be the usual "post-launch debriefing" at the Thistle Pig in South Berwick. Their menu is updated depending on what's locally available so check close to the launch to see what may be on it then.

Keep an eye on this thread, the club websites (linked above) and Facebook page to see if there will be any issues with the weather.

Fingers crossed for the weekend, but the forecast doesn't look great at the moment. What are the chances of a postponed launch if Saturday doesn't work out?

If the weather is good enough to fly, I plan to launch a 5.5" scratch build on a J500 and a 3" tube fin rocket on an I430. If the first flight works out, I'll be sending up the 5.5" rocket at a future launch on another J with a pair of 29mm H airstarts.

Weather conditions are acting up early this year.

The 19 May joint launch is cancelled. With the loss of the use of the field in Acton, CMASS will likely schedule one or two more joint launches with MMMSC this summer. All is not lost.

I was afraid that would happen. Is there any possibility of rescheduling for next week?

No promises, but maybe I can get something going at RIMRA for those who are still around. We've just had such bad luck with the weather in New England this year. I'll post on TRF and on the CMASS forum if it's a possibility.

Man, I wish I could go to NSL this year. The Rocketry Show will be there, and I wish I could join them.

Also, Joe Barnard will be there, so make sure to say hi.

As for Acton, I know it's not the same as School Street, but I did enjoy that small launch we had in that park. Gotta fly a lot lower, I know, but it was a nice day. I wouldn't mind going back if that's an option.

RIMRA is going to have a "Bonus Launch" this weekend. The waiver isn't near as high as Berwick, but it's still a great opportunity to burn some BP and APCP.

Back