Lost an AT 38/480 liner. Trying an RCS substitute liner.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_ASC

UTC SEDS 2017 3rd/ SEDS 2018 1st
Reaction score
So I ordered another one from RCS under 38/480. Until I complete my cert flight, buying new reloads isn't practical. If anyone knows if an RCS 38/480 fits an AT1299N-P from a different failed cert attempt let me know.

This makes no sense...
It is the same liner, but I do not think you will be allowed to reuse liners for a cert attempt, it may make it an experimental motor as a reused motor line may have some damage/wear. Also why would you use a I 1299 for a cert attempt, that's a ridiculous(ly fun) motor?

It is the same liner, but I do not think you will be allowed to reuse liners for a cert attempt, it may make it an experimental motor as a reused motor line may have some damage/wear. Also why would you use a I 1299 for a cert attempt, that's a ridiculous(ly fun) motor?

My understanding of the question is that the liner is newly purchased. What I don’t understand is what the rest of the motor is. Once a motor has been used in a certification attempt that failed, how would that motor be “reused”?

Well... It's a long story of failed cert attempts. I've failed two attempts. One was a timer explosion deploy charge next to an RSO. So a new 1299 was not burned that flight. The liner was lost over time. He was rather chill. All I'm doing is replacing the liner lost with a new liner. The other was an I300T snapped chord and the I300T was expended. So I'm an L-0 with two HPR motors. Long story. Next flight is WM Saab RB-05A with DMS h219T. While I'm at Bayboro I want to fly a Sandhawk on a 1299N with altimeter dual deploy time permitting or incase I somehow screw up cert yet again. Sandhawk should go sub 3k ft on the I 1299N. The Sandhawk is hella Overstable in stock form without trimming 1.5" off fin span being scale and all that so I don't mind a i1299N slamming it off the pad fast. The same motor in a RB-05A is nearly a mile high which in my opinion is excessive for single chute deploy near apogee.

First HPR comp multistage I designed had that absurd I1299N-P. Nothing wrong with the motor only bad application, it only pushed a 29-38mm dart past M1.5 in 0.3s... Last Summer at Utah.

Well... It's a long story of failed cert attempts. I've failed two attempts. One was a timer explosion deploy charge next to an RSO. So a new 1299 was not burned that flight. The liner was lost over time. He was rather chill. All I'm doing is replacing the liner lost with a new liner. The other was an I300T snapped chord and the I300T was expended. So I'm an L-0 with two HPR motors. Long story. Next flight is WM Saab RB-05A with DMS h219T. While I'm at Bayboro I want to fly a Sandhawk on a 1299N with altimeter dual deploy time permitting or incase I somehow screw up cert yet again. Sandhawk should go sub 3k ft on the I 1299N.

First HPR comp multistage I designed had that flawed I1299N-P. Well there was nothing wrong with the motor, it only pushed a 29-38mm dart past M1.5 in 0.3s... Last Summer at Utah.

I could understand if that RSO walked you off the field with his boot in your butt.

I could understand if that RSO walked you off the field with his boot in your butt.
Well I walked myself off that field with my hand slightly injuried. I refused treatment and I was fine. I chose not to fly that day after having the Minitimer4 discharge a deploy charge when I didn't expect it upon connection to battery source. It was ground tested to 16 s at a motel before flight. Then on flight line it malfunctioned with a 9V batt. I probably deserved to have boot shoved up my arse.

Poor choices lead to poor results. If I were you I’d try to figure out what roll you played in the failures and look for similarities going forward.

Well I walked myself off that field with my hand slightly injuried. I refused treatment and I was fine. I chose not to fly that day after having the Minitimer4 discharge a deploy charge when I didn't expect it upon connection to battery source. It was ground tested to 16 s at a motel before flight. Then on flight line it malfunctioned with a 9V batt. I probably deserved to have boot shoved up my arse.

You’re lucky you didn’t get hurt worse, but that kind of disregard for the Safety Codes is the kind of behavior that we’re trying really hard to prevent. Did you use a switch?Electronics with charges are only to be powered up at the pad with minimal people around and only after the rocket has been raised to a vertical position.

Yeah the dog at my liner bro.

I'm sure that's really happened to liners before. My dog sat on a body tube once. I busted the pad on my L1 flight. Leg buckled right under. AT I435.

AT == RCS Thats the official replacement part so you should be good to go.

You’re lucky you didn’t get hurt worse, but that kind of disregard for the Safety Codes is the kind of behavior that we’re trying really hard to prevent. Did you use a switch?Electronics with charges are only to be powered up at the pad with minimal people around and only after the rocket has been raised to a vertical position.
I think that's what went wrong. It was my first attempt ever. Ignitor wasn't in rocket motor of course. There wasn't a switch magnetic from the power supply to the minitimer. I had it plugged in on ground test and it seemed safe, but granted didn't have the experience. The competition rockets had magnetic switches. We turned on GPS telemetry before those flights during packing. I am completely lucky the deploy charge was inside the cert rocket airframe when it ignited. The RSO was sitting in a chair watching me pack it. I had to plug it all up to pack it before flight. My stupid self didn't have a switch and it needed one apparently. I had the nose pointed down towards the pad. Plugged it in then it popped rather instantly upon battery connection. Hand got slightly burned/blast debris. I honestly didn't have a clue what I was doing that point.

Anyways in future flights I will connect electronics at pad and have a switch.

I think that's what went wrong. It was my first attempt ever. Ignitor wasn't in rocket motor of course. There wasn't a switch magnetic from the power supply to the minitimer. I had it plugged in on ground test and it seemed safe, but granted didn't have the experience. The competition rockets had magnetic switches. We turned on GPS telemetry before those flights during packing. I am completely lucky the deploy charge was inside the cert rocket airframe when it ignited. The RSO was sitting in a chair watching me pack it. I had to plug it all up to pack it before flight. My stupid self didn't have a switch and it needed one apparently. I had the nose pointed down towards the pad. Plugged it in then it popped rather instantly upon battery connection. Hand got slightly burned/blast debris. I honestly didn't have a clue what I was doing that point.

Anyways in future flights I will connect electronics at pad and have a switch.

Good. Please keep in mind also that armed circuits must be disarmed before lowering it if it turns out you need to take it down for some reason.
There’s nothing wrong with ordering a replacement part such as a liner in an instance like yours. Good luck on your certification. I hope you make friends with a more experienced rocketeer so you don’t feel frustrated.

What ever happened to keeping it simple for cert flights? Find and build a rocket that performs good on a H128, then get crazy after certification.

What ever happened to keeping it simple for cert flights? Find and build a rocket that performs good on a H128, then get crazy after certification.

That's plan A. Single deploy motor eject at 2.8 K ft A2G scale missile on an H219T. Friction Fit. If that fails. Then I try Sandhawk as Plan B. It's an attempt. The wind could blow it into a tree, it could explode, implode, burn. Shred, shock cord snap,or it could crash. Because toy rocket. Only drove to Utah to get arse hammered in 0.5s... :tongue:

They don't have many HPR launch sites in Tennessee anymore: so throw a dart at a map and have a nice road trip. HARA and TARA both lost waivers last year. Same with Music City and Manchester. They completely canned Southern Thunder. I knew a guy with 17 acres back home. But too damn back it was all woodlands. It would be nice if these clubs could get waivers back.

You can come fly with us, but you better be sure you have your act together or the RSO will send you packing. I have heard he is a very grumpy old man and a stickler for details. Just sayin'..... :wink:

Back