Kevlar question??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3" PML Bullpup. The harness that came with it was a thick nylon harness. I was digging through boxes and came across this Kevlar, well I think its Kevlar. I have 24' of it so it would be perfect. It flat and 1/2" in width. Not sure if its fire resistance, but as you know PML kits usr a piston so it will be shielded from the hot ejection gases.

20180506_130656.jpg20180506_130733.jpg

The stuff below I bought on Aercon's website and its called pulltape?? Not even sure if its Kevlar and it seems6 more pliable.

20180506_130904.jpg20180506_130918.jpg

Any suggestions on which to use or would either work. I'm not sure if the pulltape would work??

Thanks

The pull tape will work just fine, whether it’s Kevlar or not.
Personally I prefer tubular nylon, especially when it’s protected from flame. Its stretchability makes it superior at absorbing shock.

I have 3" PML Bullpup. The harness that came with it was a thick nylon harness. I was digging through boxes and came across this Kevlar, well I think its Kevlar. I have 24' of it so it would be perfect. It flat and 1/2" in width. Not sure if its fire resistance, but as you know PML kits usr a piston so it will be shielded from the hot ejection gases.

View attachment 344119View attachment 344120

The stuff below I bought on Aercon's website and its called pulltape?? Not even sure if its Kevlar and it seems6 more pliable.

View attachment 344121View attachment 344122

Any suggestions on which to use or would either work. I'm not sure if the pulltape would work??

Thanks

The Bull tape looks to be the same stuff we sold years ago when we owned TFRLLC. Never had and negative back on it. Yes its Kevlar. I used it all the time.

Yes it is Aramid fiber (Kevlar) and fire resistant. I think it is available in nylon as well but yellow is Kevlar.
Also called mule tape. Used by electricians to pull cable through conduit and measuring conduit. I've wanted to try it for a while now but it seems overpriced, to me, in small quantities.
Looks like the top may be 3/8" rated 1500-1800 lbs and bottom may be 1\2" rated at 2500lbs.

I think it is also used as a wick for stuff like flaming whips and other fire related acts, as is our 1\4" and such.

Yes it is Aramid fiber (Kevlar) and fire resistant. I think it is available in nylon as well but yellow is Kevlar.
Also called mule tape. Used by electricians to pull cable through conduit and measuring conduit. I've wanted to try it for a while now but it seems overpriced, to me, in small quantities.
Looks like the top may be 3/8" rated 1500-1800 lbs and bottom may be 1\2" rated at 2500lbs.

I think it is also used as a wick for stuff like flaming whips and other fire related acts, as is our 1\4" and such.

Actually both are 1/2". Debating on getting loops seen in or just use a couple slip nots to fasten them??

Ahh.
I always liked sewn loops. Just looks better. I even bought needles and thread to sew my own. But I no longer do that. After sewing a few I came to the conclusion it wasn't worth it to me. Now I just use knots. What knot depends on the application. I usually zip tie the tail and/or heat shrink the knot.

I have been tying the Bowline ever since I was a kid so it gets used quite often,especially when tying to a hardpoint that i don't want to remove such as an epoxied U-bolt.

If I want the harness to cinch down tight to the hardpoint I'll use a Davy Knot or Double Davy.
For mid loops I use the Alpine butterfly.
If I am just doing end loops for a harness and not yet attaching it, I have got to where I use the Perfection loop.
All are easy to tie and great to have in the arsenal, not sure what you are referring to as a slip knot. A knot where the tag end is free and can be pulled to release the knot or one where the knot slides down the running end?

Ahh.
I always liked sewn loops. Just looks better. I even bought needles and thread to sew my own. But I no longer do that. After sewing a few I came to the conclusion it wasn't worth it to me. Now I just use knots. What knot depends on the application. I usually zip tie the tail and/or heat shrink the knot.

I have been tying the Bowline ever since I was a kid so it gets used quite often,especially when tying to a hardpoint that i don't want to remove such as an epoxied U-bolt.

If I want the harness to cinch down tight to the hardpoint I'll use a Davy Knot or Double Davy.
For mid loops I use the Alpine butterfly.
If I am just doing end loops for a harness and not yet attaching it, I have got to where I use the Perfection loop.
All are easy to tie and great to have in the arsenal, not sure what you are referring to as a slip knot. A knot where the tag end is free and can be pulled to release the knot or one where the knot slides down the running end?

The knot slides down and cinches itself

Aerocon has a link to instructions for a preferred knot for the mule tape stuff on their website. Knots can cut down on strength, but for our applications, this stuff is overkill until you are in the very non-optimal deployment type situations...

Also called mule tape.

That answers my question. I was given a bunch of 20' (or so) pieces by a guy that was a computer network tech. I've treated it like it was gold, almost coming to tears when a rocket with it got lost. Hard to cut, but lineman's snips will get through it. I have a couple of knots I use, and sometimes secure the knots with a small dab of yellow or white glue (they stay soft even when dry and won't cut the fibers the way CA will).

Back