What's your favorite body tube diameter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketryBen

Reaction score
This is kinda a runoff from the other thread, but this is slightly different.

What's your favorite body tube diameter?
24mm
29mm [1.1 inches]
38mm [1.6 inches]
54mm [2.2 inches]
2.56 inches
75mm [3 inches]
98mm [4 inches]

I'm just looking to see what people think.

This is just a fun thread to see what the most favorite body tube diameter is.
My favorite is 2.2 inches, easy to work with, not too big, not too small. I like it, anything between a E-J motors work great for it.

What do you think?

I like 38mm/BT-60. 18mm is nice and low, 24mm is plenty of altitude without too much stress, and 29mm is just insane.

I don’t have a strong favorite, but if I could only have one rocket at a time, the first one I’d build would be four inch diameter with a 75 mm motor mount and two adapters, to 54 and 38.

BT-55 (33mm) for its rigidity, BT-70 (56mm) because it's just a nice diameter to work with.

I really want the 15" Polecat Thunderstorm, but no one's selling it right now. The bigger, the better!

Four inch, it is a very convenient size, since you can get your hand into it.

Last edited:
I am split between the 4” with 75mm motor mount. As Steve Shannon mentioned, this with a couple of adapters makes for an incredibly flexible package.

Secondly, I really like a 54mm airframe setup as minimum diameter, and then adapters to 38 and 29.

BT-60 has to be my favorite (LP only here)
You can all the way up to 29mm w/o certification, and down to 13mm clusters.
Long or short, you can dial a rocket into your flying space nicely.
Plus, the Jolly Logic Chute Release will fit into it for even better recovery performance!
Thanks Mr. Beans!

My favorite is 4", but I build more 3". I can usually fly them on both G's and H's, depending on the field.

3" LOC & Madcow tubing is my favorite.
Perfect for 29 & 38mm MMTs. If you're adventurous, you can try a 54mm motor in 3 inch tubing.
2.6" tubing is probably my second favorite, but 3" is more roomy, easy to work with, and well, I just like it a lot!! :)

Thanks,

Back