A Flaming Rocket-Is it as Stupid as it Sounds?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had the idea of putting small rags on the trailing edge of the fins of my fiberglass rocket and soaking them in ethanol, so the rocket would trail flame into the air. Of course, I soon realized that it would be a really bad idea because the rocket might still be on fire when it hit the ground, and the wind would probably extinguish the flames during launch anyway. But is there a way to ensure a sustained flame throughout ascent and no flame on descent?

Jeb, you'll never get to Mun that way.

It's against every organized safety code we have; ergo it violates NFPA; ergo it violates almost all insurances and likely several laws in your jurisdiction.

Stick with readily available commercial motors until you have an L2 cert, then decide if you want to experiment. Good luck!

Besides, the flame off of ethanol is virtually invisible.

The flaming neckerchief ceremony is not sanctioned by the Scouting organization, although I recall it being used traditionally when Webelos Cub Scouts advance to Boy Scouts in years past...if the neckerchief flames but is not consumed, the scout is deemed worthy of joining the Troop upon graduation from the Pack.

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/alerts/flaming-neckerchief/

Not advocating this, just a historical point of reference. Danger, Will Robinson!

To make your Rocket look like it is on fire just use some mid or front mounted canted motors and hang a bunch of streamers off the back end. You don't even need to have fins ! A cluster of three F 15 will get you in the high power range. See if the top men at the Tripoli launch will buy your argument on flame fin action aiding stability. Good luck!

To make your Rocket look like it is on fire just use some mid or front mounted canted motors and hang a bunch of streamers off the back end. You don't even need to have fins ! A cluster of three F 15 will get you in the high power range. See if the top men at the Tripoli launch will buy your argument on flame fin action aiding stability. Good luck!
The reflective Mylar bird repellent tape may give the appearance of flame, that might look cool, or like the fake fire they use for in store display of fire pits and fireplaces, could make some flame shapes from lightweight chute material fabric of yellow, orange, red...?

The reflective Mylar bird repellent tape may give the appearance of flame, that might look cool, or like the fake fire they use for in store display of fire pits and fireplaces, could make some flame shapes from lightweight chute material fabric of yellow, orange, red...?

The only way I can think of to make a flaming Rocket that has a snow balls chance of getting by the RSO table. Oddroc is bad enough but flaming oddroc puts it into the double Scarry category.

Well isn't this a fun thread,, lol..
So far I got the best chuckle off Mike P..
But please continue..

Teddy

Attach blinking lights. Fly it after dark.

Or just fly it at dusk in general... There's a lot to a motor plume you can't see in sunlight. This flight is a plain ol' BP F15:
[video=youtube;V7yUAsvEvR0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7yUAsvEvR0[/video]

By the way,,
just for clarity,,
and not to give Pit all the credit,,
the first thing I thought of when I read the first post was the fame from the chosen accelerant is almost invisible..
The only chance of getting the desired effect is gasoline..
So kudos to TNmike for 2nd place..

But the true chuckle still goes to Pit..

Thank you all for the entertainment..

Teddy

Possibly worst first post ever.

I don't know, I think this thread is a heckuva opening to joining the forum.
Lots of "wow" potential here.

s6

(and for the record Jeb, yes this a spectacularly bad idea.......good on ya for asking here first though, I'll give you credit for that. stick around, learn some more, and join the fun)

Sorry--I misinterpreted your post. I was thinking about bright colors, an earring and/or nose ring, and perhaps a bandana on the rocket. I know: Wrong flaming. Sorry.

this has been entertaining to read, so visible flames... napalm comes to mind, and after looking at the university of youtube, well toasted fins...

I have tried every stupid thing in the book. I for one congratulate on your creativity. Dream on dream weaver...and post every time.

Names for rocket
build upside down rocket
male organ rocket
Flaming rocket.........

so far these are the Questions, this guys topics cover...I suggest "STUPID" for your rockets name & the other ideas...LOL

PS I must add, keeps us laughing ..post on,post on!

Flaming rockets is simply a STUPID idea. WE Do NOT want to destroy or rockets on a single flight. rather use them over and over.

fooling around with such silliness is completely contrary to everything the NAR, Tripoli & NFPA want to do with hobby rocketry.
Perhaps you could do what I did just for fun. I made a 3" x 90" Orange Mylar (wrapping paper sheets - 3-30" section) Streamer for one of my custom light weight Alpha-III rockets. Flying on a C6-5, this model got a lot of altitude at ejection the mylar streamer looked like the rocket was trailing a very long flame on the way down.

Beyond the Mylar streamer; as others have suggested you should Really try night flying. You have no idea how much Fire & Flame is going on but unseen during daylight launches. Check-out the 4-D12-3 cluster liftoff of my 3X, 2.6" upscale Nova Payloader-II. This rocket has flown for more the 20 years and is still lighting up the night at our yearly club night launches.

Attachments

• 083Lp03_Alpha-III on 90in Orange Mylar streamer 3pic Flt_11-90.jpg
    083Lp03_Alpha-III on 90in Orange Mylar streamer 3pic Flt_11-90.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 156
  • h2c_604-4D NovaPayloader-ll_Lift-Off Flt Pg_07-12-97.jpg
    h2c_604-4D NovaPayloader-ll_Lift-Off Flt Pg_07-12-97.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 157
If you're okay with illegally launching unsafe homemade fire works, then soak something in gasoline, attach it to the rocket, light it, launch, get arrested, and be fined.

Yup. You said it - not smart. Another hold may beer thought.

thought about it for a short time and came up with an idea that would probably work as requested in the OP, the hardest part is figuring out which flammable fuel to use the rest is easy(er). I shall let it go unsaid.
Rex

Years ago didn't Quest come out with SFX 'smoke' motors? I want to say they were the size of the Estes mini-motors. All they did was provide smoke, no additional thrust. You could place them in say, side boosters and light them first to get a smoke billow on the pad prior to launch, allowing it to look more like a 'real' lift off. Or to create a smoke trail from pad on up to apogee and longer - depending on the smoke generator burn time. Sounds like this may be something similar.

Hmmm. Let's not condemn the vision, but approach the task in a National Association of Rocketry acceptable way. ;)

Something like Goddard's "Nell", pulling a 5 ft. strand of Christmas lights? Or a twin motor, angled to the sides, located at the nose?

Below is a video showing some of the 'light' lights that are available now.:D

Back