Rocksim Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm scratch building my Snarky kit and have a question. I'm going to use a balsa nose cone and I know RS will calculate this into the design, but how can I be more accurate. In the past I always chose the nose cone as solid and not hollow and add the nose weight accordingly, which is technically correct if the bore isn't that large, but I have a lot of room in mine, so should I put in the exact weight of the nose cone and then select mass over ride? Anyway attached is the RS file if anyone can shed some light? I just need to get familiar with how the mass over ride works and when to use it? I have not changed anything on the design or added the actual weight of the nose cone.

View attachment Dynastar Snarky Scratch Build.RKT

You can get your part mass two ways:
Set the dimensions and materials, which will work out a mass from an average density.
Or, just input the dimensions, ignore material, and use the PART's overide to set the mass.

When designing, I'll use the program's estimate only if I don't have the parts in hand.
When I have them in hand, Ill weigh them and set their overide to match.

Although to be quite honest, if I already have a kit, I'll dry fit the parts, make a simulation that Only has the external dimensions and motor tube, then I'll overide the mass and CG of the Whole rocket. Saves a ton of time tweaking all those internal parts.

Back