Placing epoxy under centering rings, fin roots etc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clivus

Reaction score
I was watching some John Coker videos and have seen him use CA to tack down a centering ring and then place epoxy fillets on the outsides of the ring. Same with fin roots.
Is the strength imparted by having the epoxy in between the surfaces negligible? The fillets are enough? This method would certainly make placement easier.

Will this method work for wood glue as well? Centering rings always leave the black streaks if I am trying to do double glue joints.

If your rings are a tight fit to the tube, there isn't room for much epoxy between. That said, I'm sure some tiny amount of epoxy between would help somewhat. I just find that I get better results when everything is locked in place (friction and/or CyA) before I mix the epoxy.

White/yellow glue works better between surfaces. (You typically clamp wood parts joined with glue.)

Thank you! I should have guessed you were a member here. Your videos are fantastic.

Back