My updated project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm out, NCB you don't have the common sense to realize you have stepped way beyond whatever knowledge you think you have, you have constantly ignored the advice of some of the most knowledgeable members of the rocketry community and this forum. Do us all a favor and stop now, hopefully your parents love you enough to stop you from your own stupidity.

You’ll be back!

Besides all of the above suggestions... Have you even looked into what it takes to be recognized by Guinness?

My step-brother, and his team, set a world record last month... it required an awful lot of sugar too...

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/wolfermans-guinness-world-record-cinnamon-roll/041218

You can see Ryan in the video below... He's the guy in the plaid shirt giving the thumbs up...

[video]https://www.kgw.com/video/news/wolfermans-bakery-in-medford-creates-worlds-largest-cinnamon-roll/283-8085576[/video]

Nice! good for him. That's impressive.

This thread is about a request for project funding, so most of the hard questions being asked are the kinds of clarifications any investor would be asking for when pitched a sketchy and ill-thought-out investment. I don't think this thing is going to get funded, so it's probably fine to just ignore it and related threads from this point on. No need to get upset about it! Just don't invest, and it will go the way of all bad ideas that rely on other people's money.

That said, if Nick can come up with what looks like a well designed proposal, I'm in for fiddly bucks. But it has to be good! This is grant proposal, so treat it like one, Nick!

You need a detailed plan. At this point seems like the project is, "I wanna go to space. A 20-foot sugar rocket oughta do it. Ten grand oughta cover it. Go fund me! Woot!"

No one is going to fund that. Put together a good technical proposal and a budget and a timeline. That's how things get funded in the real world.

Fellow forum members with a non-pickled brain.. (does not include me) we are being (%$#) He, She is having funny (fuc^&) with us. An idiot fed? Or just an idiot, In my opinion this member should be banned,, I have seen this before on some very honest fireworks forums. Regardless, end this.!

This forum is full of knowledgeable folks who have for the most part politely expressed their advice for you to shelf this idea and set some more reasonable goals and acquire more experience first. You do not seem to have even the slightest clue of the magnitude of what you are proposing. I truly hope you will realize all of the above and drop this before something bad happens.

I agree with Bat-Mite, we should all just let this thread go dark now.

I actually agree with the 2nd part.

I'm out, NCB you don't have the common sense to realize you have stepped way beyond whatever knowledge you think you have, you have constantly ignored the advice of some of the most knowledgeable members of the rocketry community and this forum. Do us all a favor and stop now, hopefully your parents love you enough to stop you from your own stupidity.

Good luck to you to!

There is probably a whole sub-genre of scammers who create fake 'gofundme' pages.

The knowledge that the O.P has shared here could easily be gleaned from the internet in an afternoon. No evidence of any real knowledge has been shown. A go fund me page set up, and hey, if he got a hundred bucks, win!

If the O.P is real, this is not a good sign of things to come.

Directly rude, and still begging.

Nope. I have common knowledge and a basic understanding of physics.

Well, hot damn, junior. You don't need that fancy-shmancy doctorate degree after all. Your common knowledge is good enough to go to space. Somebody call St. Elon and let him know there is a wunderkind in Pattison MS with a garage full of Walmart sugar.

Well, hot damn, junior. You don't need that fancy-shmancy doctorate degree after all. Your common knowledge is good enough to go to space. Somebody call St. Elon and let him know there is a wunderkind in Pattison MS with a garage full of Walmart sugar.

You are assuming Elon doesn't know already.

No you don't -> if you did, you would not write 75% of what you have. You don't have a design, a plan, the finances or the knowledge. You do have a bunch of the wrong sugar, an apparent lack of knowledge of geometry, and an internet connection.

As was said before, some of the best minds in amateur rocketry have tried to guide you and you brush them aside. Your inability to heed the advice of these folks all but guarantees your failure. Every one of those guys has been stymied in the past and turned to some of the others for advice and listened. You seem unwilling to learn.

And yet you claim that a 2" by 12" motor has 1/4 the propellant of an 8" by 4' motor.

I can relate to where you're coming from, you have a big idea. That's great, but you need to take a step back. I'm only a few years older than you, and not more than a few years ago I had similar project ideas, but you need to work your way there. I can't tell you how many pieces of big sonotube I bought planning to do a big crazy project, and it's not until you start a project like this that you understand how massive of an undertaking it is. I just finished my freshman year of college, between studying astronautical engineering and working on a rocket team flying to a mere 30,000', the number one thing I have learned is how little I know about rockets. That is after flying for years, getting my L3, and doing EX. Crazy projects are not something you can just jump into with no experience, they are a culmination of the experience you have had.

There are a lot of people here telling you to take a step back. Not long ago they were all telling me the same thing. They're right, listen to them.

Last edited:
wait a sec....you don't know what kind of sugar you have? And you don't control your oxidizer mesh size? If you've made that 2" x 12" motor, which I doubt you have, then you're lucky to not have seriously injured someone already. I've tried being nice and steering you in the right direction. Now you're just getting added to my ignore list.

There is probably a whole sub-genre of scammers who create fake 'gofundme' pages.

The knowledge that the O.P has shared here could easily be gleaned from the internet in an afternoon. No evidence of any real knowledge has been shown. A go fund me page set up, and hey, if he got a hundred bucks, win!

If the O.P is real, this is not a good sign of things to come.

Directly rude, and still begging.

I would say I'm defending my point. They were rude first.

See this is why this hobby is dying out. You have to act entitled because you know a few things about rockets. I tried to be nice from the start and all you guys did was talk me down like I was nothing. Now that you have me where you want me, you get to be an ass. I've never been in a hobby with this many snobs before.

Play the martyr. You get flack because you disregard what you don't like. That necessitates the volume being turned up. The hobby is in good shape and does not need to humor you because you are sensitive. You are acting like an ill informed child and need to be told as much.

See this is why this hobby is dying out. You have to act entitled because you know a few things about rockets. I tried to be nice from the start and all you guys did was talk me down like I was nothing. Now that you have me where you want me, you get to be an ass. I've never been in a hobby with this many snobs before.
Hey kid. My advice still stands, find a club near you and make each rocket twice as big as your last successful recovery.

Stop sulking, you are behaving like a dangerous child. The amounts of force you're casually and consistently misunderstanding are enough to level your house with your whole family in it.

Everyone here wants to see you safe. Many of us here want to see you progress. Some here probably don't want you around after your temper tantrums, but that's not me.

Go fly some certs and make some friends. If you act this way in college you will not secure any postgrad recommendations.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the "guided" portion of your please give me money post.

Not sure why I am still participating in this discussion. The whole paragraph under "About the rocket" shows just how uninformed this whole thing is.
Two stage Kno3 propellant. Still, I wanna see this. On video though, I don't want to be anywhere near.
Nose cone eject followed by dual deployment so this is triple deployment?

If this is a scam, why the heck would you bring this nonsense to TRF. It's hard to believe someone can be dim enough to try to fool all of the folks here with a bit of vague references and half thoughts. And you may want to limit alluding to advanced knowledge of guided rocket flight and explosives on open/public platforms and websites. No I am not talking about your sugar.

We were all teenagers once with big dreams. Once out of high school and in the real world we got a taste of life. Many of us have been beaten, broken, kicked, lied to, betrayed and looked over; broke, hungry, lonely at one point or another. The real world is brutal, even now in the age of bitten tongues and hurt feelings. Someone else said it earlier, get through freshman year first. It may be tougher than you think.

Other than that. I say go for it. Take a week off from school and build your motor in your (parents') garage, grab some field line from your local hardware store for the motor casing and just find a flag pole laying around to use as a body tube, doesn't have to be straight. Quickrete will work great for a nozzle, just use a mixing bowl for a mold. Probably don't really need a nose cone, that is just aesthetics anyway. Fins...get your mom to drive you and steal a few speed limit signs.

You clearly know more than everyone else here. Don't delay too long or you will wind up wizened and truly knowledgeable...after you forget everything you apparently already know.

OH. The sugar. Use Dextrose...That is corn sugar but you already knew that. I use it as a priming sugar for my craft beer and it works wonderfully! If it works in beer it has to work in rockets. You can probably mix it with Cayenne pepper and forgo the Kno3 altogether. Maybe mix in a little uranium-235, just for a little punch, you probably have a few pounds lying around. Light it with a rat trap and percussion cap.. You got this. Nothing to it. No need to do research or even know what you are talking about. It will happen because you say it will. All you have to do is believe in yourself and know that you truly are omnipotent. Let the naysayers say nay.

And I can literally, LITERALLY, make beer for about 60 cents a pint! How's that sound? Speaking of beer...

*there may or may not be some sarcasm in this post* :bangbang:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the "guided" portion of your please give me money post.

I did in this or another thread. This is a difficult thing- just ask Jim Jarvis.

As to the OP. You clearly do not know what you are doing. You clearly cannot admit this to us, and likely worse you cannot admit it to yourself.

As many very experienced people have been telling you- you are endangering yourself and others. You are using the wrong type of sugar, you are not controlling oxidizer mesh size, and likely are missing a variety of other info. Please slow down and take time to learn. If you insist on sugar motors might I suggest looking up Jimmy Yawn’s website. The idea of an experienced mentor is pretty much needed.

You act like a victim- you are not. People are offering very valid suggestions, but you know better than all of these people. That is arrogant and foolish. You need to grasp the idea that there is a certain amount of risk in making motors, and if you have any sense you will heed the warnings given in an attempt to lower this risk.

Be safe.

Time to jump into the mess.

I think that people in this thread are being rude, but they're right. From what I can tell you don't have the expertise for what you propose.

Bit of backstory- I'm around your age, and I build my own flight electronics. When I first started, I got a lot of complaints from the EEs on the forum. I resisted for a while but I ended up taking their advice, and I'm glad I did- I now have a working flight computer.

I have no problem with you building 8 inch sugar motors- at some point. For now I suggest you get your Jr L1 and fly some "smaller" stuff. There are I motors that put out 300 pounds of thrust, and the Tripoli commercial motor I record is around 15k IIRC. Make that or something similar your goal, and you'll get a lot more support. Heck, I'd consider donating a flight computer...

Well at least he is not asking how to make flash powder. Maybe he is an ATF agent. If I had that much sugar around I'd make Snicker doodles, yum!

Last edited:
Not sure why I am still participating in this discussion. The whole paragraph under "About the rocket" shows just how uninformed this whole thing is.
Two stage Kno3 propellant. Still, I wanna see this. On video though, I don't want to be anywhere near.
Nose cone eject followed by dual deployment so this is triple deployment?

If this is a scam, why the heck would you bring this nonsense to TRF. It's hard to believe someone can be dim enough to try to fool all of the folks here with a bit of vague references and half thoughts. And you may want to limit alluding to advanced knowledge of guided rocket flight and explosives on open/public platforms and websites. No I am not talking about your sugar.

We were all teenagers once with big dreams. Once out of high school and in the real world we got a taste of life. Many of us have been beaten, broken, kicked, lied to, betrayed and looked over; broke, hungry, lonely at one point or another. The real world is brutal, even now in the age of bitten tongues and hurt feelings. Someone else said it earlier, get through freshman year first. It may be tougher than you think.

Other than that. I say go for it. Take a week off from school and build your motor in your (parents') garage, grab some field line from your local hardware store for the motor casing and just find a flag pole laying around to use as a body tube, doesn't have to be straight. Quickrete will work great for a nozzle, just use a mixing bowl for a mold. Probably don't really need a nose cone, that is just aesthetics anyway. Fins...get your mom to drive you and steal a few speed limit signs.

You clearly know more than everyone else here. Don't delay too long or you will wind up wizened and truly knowledgeable...after you forget everything you apparently already know.

OH. The sugar. Use Dextrose...That is corn sugar but you already knew that. I use it as a priming sugar for my craft beer and it works wonderfully! If it works in beer it has to work in rockets. You can probably mix it with Cayenne pepper and forgo the Kno3 altogether. Maybe mix in a little uranium-235, just for a little punch, you probably have a few pounds lying around. Light it with a rat trap and percussion cap.. You got this. Nothing to it. No need to do research or even know what you are talking about. It will happen because you say it will. All you have to do is believe in yourself and know that you truly are omnipotent. Let the naysayers say nay.

And I can literally, LITERALLY, make beer for about 60 cents a pint! How's that sound? Speaking of beer...

*there may or may not be some sarcasm in this post* :bangbang:
Or snicker doodles, penny a piece After some deep thought I vote for BEER!

Back