My updated project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just feel F.A.R is a safer place to launch a rocket. There's always someone there in case of an emergency or in need of help. You're all alone out at black rock. And I think it's a bit farther than FAR

I can understand your concerns. Thanks for answering!

I'll offer a pessimistic response and a hopefully more helpful response.

Pessimistic: Other people with actual experience doing this have already told you it isn't feasible. Period. You simply won't get your waiver. I have been in HPR for 3 years and have my level 2 cert and just use commercial motors. That's as fast as I have been comfortable with progressing. Just reading other people's stories and hearing campfire tales about Black Rock, I can promise you, you have no business attempting something like this yet. Don't ask for money when you don't know what you are doing AND can't get approval for it anyway. Not to mention, where did the $10k figure come from? What is the cost breakdown? You will need pretty detailed documentation to get said waiver, and you probably don't even have enough of a fleshed out plan to explain what it will actually cost. Do you think one person with $10k built Qu8k? Lastly, do you think "Fortunately it flew well" would look good on a resume? "ELON, I DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT I'M DOING BUT I FLEW A BIG ROCKET ONCE AND FORTUNATELY IT FLEW WELL. HIRE ME?!?!" Don't bother people asking for money until you have multiple projects that can be described as "It flew exactly how it was supposed to".

Helpful: Get money from a job, or from your parents, or from trading crypto, whatever. Buy some smaller HPR kits and start working on certs. You will learn so much from crashing those rockets on your own dime than you would from attempting a giant sugar rocket. Next (and this is something businesses spend tons of money on consultants to teach their employees), develop S.M.A.R.T. goals. Specific (100k isn't specific enough), Measurable (maybe the only criteria you meet right now), Achievable (no waiver =/= achievable), Realistic (lawlz), Time-Bound (your fundme page only says when you are going to college and when you are going to Mars, so I feel like this one is lacking as well).

Like everyone else has said (and I mean it, and they mean it too), good luck. That being said, no one in the amateur rocketry community will hesitate to tell you that your plan isn't feasible, and that you need more experience. The fact that you are asking for money is why instead of being dismissed as a naive kid, you are being roundly abused (which forums like to do whenever they have a good opportunity).

I was reading exactly what you posted: "why not just go to Black Rock... where the waiver is already in existence?"
Now I see you've edited you original post slightly (to not make sense).

*your. Two can play that game.

Of course, you were reading what I posted. What else would you've been reading? That's why I stated I could see where the confusion in my original post came from. Then I attempted to help you understand what I meant. Not sure if you still need help understanding or you're just getting off on TRF. So I will try to clarify the intended meaning of my original comment. It is about using a site where 100kft+ altitude flights are known to be possible and not about the class of this project and the alternative approval process for this project.

I've secured a 145Kft waiver at our launch site in NM in the past with a 7NM radius. The current Class 2 standing waiver is 75Kft. This potential rocket project would never get permission to launch there. I believe that will be the same result at FAR.
By "there," where do you mean? Are you trying to say this project would never get permission under your clubs wavier to launch? Or are you trying to say that the real powers that be would never approve this project independent of your club's sanctioned launches?

Good advice Brian. My advise is slow your roll grasshopper. I mean honestly, I think most upstarts don't even realize the power that can be squeezed into a 29/240 case let alone something much larger. This hobby has a way of attracting the fringes and the next world movers but also has a way of weeding out the same as fast as they come.

All that said, I realize the advise given by many before me won't be headed at all. I just hope you have enough fingers left at the end of the day to flip me the bird when you realize everyone else was right.

By "there," where do you mean? Are you trying to say this project would never get permission under your *clubs wavier to launch? Or are you trying to say that the real powers that be would never approve this project independent of your club's sanctioned launches?

*clubs --> club's ;-)

The NM site I use is not a club launch site. It's an independent, uninsured location on BLM land. This project would certainly not get permission to launch there from the FAA or the BLM. And, as I speculated, it would not be allowed at the FAR site. I could go into the reasons in more detail, but I think most of us here with experience in the P+ range understand. Start with 2-stage dispersion, conclude with fire risk.

Am I the only one that is getting annoyed by this? Heck, I'd almost donate if he went away. If you think this post is inappropriate I will delete.
Bill

Me too. No matter how many times he edits the GoPanHandle page and then reposts it here, it doesn't get any better. For anybody.

I still want to know how a high school junior gets admitted to USC, or was it the University of California (You said both at one point). Hope you know they aren't the same thing.

Lastly, my fatherly advice is not gonna be any of this "follow your dreams" crap. Stop this world record rocket nonsense and instead study hard, get a good SAT score, write a coherent essay for your college apps, get admitted, and don't screw up your freshman year. Then, maybe, you can start addressing future goals.

*clubs --> club's ;-)

The NM site I use is not a club launch site. It's an independent, uninsured location on BLM land. This project would certainly not get permission to launch there from the FAA or the BLM. And, as I speculated, it would not be allowed at the FAR site. I could go into the reasons in more detail, but I think most of us here with experience in the P+ range understand. Start with 2-stage dispersion, conclude with fire risk.

You keep saying this repeatedly over and over again. Explain please. How can they turn down a secure rocket that is capable of reaching that altitude

You have several hundred (or even thousand ) pounds of sugar and KNO3 in your garage ? What type of sugar/sugar substitute are you using ?

Eric

So it’s not normal to have several hundred pounds of sugar substitutes In your garage?

What about an 8” nozzle ?

* I didn’t get this stuff at Walmart....

IMG_0240.jpg
IMG_0241.jpg

So it’s not normal to have several hundred pounds of sugar substitutes In your garage?

What about an 8” nozzle ?

* I didn’t get this stuff at Walmart....

View attachment 343988
View attachment 343989

No , it is perfectly normal for a dedicated individual to have a stock pile . What im getting at is NCB is just trolling everybody , has less then 1% knowledge of the topic he is constantly bringing up , and is in for a rude wake up call once real life actually blows up in his face ( not hoping that will actually happen) .

Eric

Begging, for a project like this, is a huge turn off. Communicating in a less than respectful manner is doubling down.

Please don't beg here.

This has to be in the very top percentile of lamest threads on this entire forum.

Maybe there needs to be a rule of 'No blatant begging' should be a new rule for this forum.

Rocketry is expensive. Go earn some money like the rest of the folks here.

This reminds me of a series of posts from 2010 or so where a troll proposed launching a small child from a suburban LA cul-de-sac. He was eventually banned.

To quote Mr. T.

“Jibba jabba...got no time for it.”

What type of sugar / sugar substitue do you use ? What brand of KNO3 do you use ? Exactly how much fuel do you think is needed to reach your goal ?

Eric

Like I said, I just get the sugar at Walmart. It may be white sugar, I don't know. I never knew that differed. I grind down pellets of potassium nitrate in a blender. My cousin gets it in big sacks from where he works. I don't know how to calculate the exact amount I would need. My motors are usually 2" wide by 12" long. That's exactly 1/4 of the motor I would use for this project so realistically 4x what I regularly use.

Begging, for a project like this, is a huge turn off. Communicating in a less than respectful manner is doubling down.

Please don't beg here.

This has to be in the very top percentile of lamest threads on this entire forum.

Maybe there needs to be a rule of 'No blatant begging' should be a new rule for this forum.

Rocketry is expensive. Go earn some money like the rest of the folks here.

Well it's not blatantly begging. It's more of a request. I just put it her just in case somebody wants to donate.

Like I said, I just get the sugar at Walmart. It may be white sugar, I don't know. I never knew that differed. I grind down pellets of potassium nitrate in a blender. My cousin gets it in big sacks from where he works. I don't know how to calculate the exact amount I would need. My motors are usually 2" wide by 12" long. That's exactly 1/4 of the motor I would use for this project so realistically 4x what I regularly use.

2" x12 is not 1/4 of a 8"x4' motor its actually about 1/64th. A 2"x12" motor has 37.69 cu. in, the motor you are proposing has 2412.73 cu. in. so the 2" motor is almost exactly 1/64th. Please do the math. The volumes are not perfect comparisons because grain geometry is not known. Hope your good at math, because large rockets and large motors require strong knowledge of it along with some physics and chemistry.

Last edited:
2" x12 is not 1/4 of a 8"x4' motor its actually about 1/64th. A 2"x12" motor has 37.69 cu. in, the motor you are proposing has 2412.73 cu. in. so the 2" motor is almost exactly 1/64th. Please do the math.

Basic sizing of the motor case. This isn't nasa thank you.

Besides all of the above suggestions... Have you even looked into what it takes to be recognized by Guinness?

My step-brother, and his team, set a world record last month... it required an awful lot of sugar too...

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/wolfermans-guinness-world-record-cinnamon-roll/041218

You can see Ryan in the video below... He's the guy in the plaid shirt giving the thumbs up...

[video]https://www.kgw.com/video/news/wolfermans-bakery-in-medford-creates-worlds-largest-cinnamon-roll/283-8085576[/video]

You don't know what sugar you have, i would guess you don't know what sugar you should be using and why. Please don't mix and heat the propellant in the house or garage. When you learn why not to use white sugar it will be bad.
Math is very important.

This forum is full of knowledgeable folks who have for the most part politely expressed their advice for you to shelf this idea and set some more reasonable goals and acquire more experience first. You do not seem to have even the slightest clue of the magnitude of what you are proposing. I truly hope you will realize all of the above and drop this before something bad happens.

I agree with Bat-Mite, we should all just let this thread go dark now.

Your link talks about your intention to get a doctorate in computer science.
I think in all likely hood, given Elon Musk's background, that would impress Elon Musk and company more than a sugar rocket.
Based on what I've seen, I think Elon Musk and company have the rocket propulsion thing down.

Your link talks about your intention to get a doctorate in computer science.
I think in all likely hood, given Elon Musk's background, that would impress Elon Musk and company more than a sugar rocket.
Based on what I've seen, I think Elon Musk and company have the rocket propulsion thing down.

And good luck with your educational ambitions...most impressive.

I'm out, NCB you don't have the common sense to realize you have stepped way beyond whatever knowledge you think you have, you have constantly ignored the advice of some of the most knowledgeable members of the rocketry community and this forum. Do us all a favor and stop now, hopefully your parents love you enough to stop you from your own stupidity.

Latest posts

Back