Accident case studies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egp

Reaction score
Are there any documented accidents in high powered rocketry where spectators or rocketeers were injured, including discussion of the causes and the outcomes?

As a certificated private pilot, I am well aware of the FAA and NTSB databases, e.g.,
https://www.faa.gov/data_research/accident_incident/ and https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/index.aspx
Reading those reports is extremely useful for keeping the risks in perspective.

Of course, given the very small size of our hobby, I don't expect many cases given that TRA and NAR have done a good job establishing guidelines. Nevertheless, I would find it useful to have data so that I can document and communicate the risks to people who don't have an appreciation for the hobby, and its intersection with educational activities like IREC (SA Cup), NASA SLI, etc.

Thanks!

Unfortunately due to how inaccurate news reporting is, most of the time when I hear about "model rockets" it's actually kids trying to make or modify fireworks or other homebrew.

There is no centralized repository or reporting framework for near misses, etc.

I'n sure we all know of "someone" or "something" involving some sort of accident. But accidents at NAR and TRA launches are rare. There was a Boy Scout leader killed like a year or two ago, but they were not following the safety code. One of our own TRF posters was injured a few years ago when an HPR struck him in the leg. There are the occasional stories of college student programs gone awry due to lack of knowledge and experience on behalf of the professor in charge.

Do NAR or TRA keep a database of insurance claims filed? I've seen lots of cars get hit, but no people.

I PM'd you my SEDS stories and internal case studies. It's not an official report. We had zero injuries, we were a new inexperienced team, and being new can harm you by what you don't know.

I think you are at more risk of being hurt on the drive to the launch. Of course once there safety should be number one concern.

What an arrogant OP. Just because the SR-71 was designed without a FEA doesn't mean any undergraduate can replicate Kelly Johnson's talent mind you with no design experience. Don't even waste your time in PM. Virginia Tech will get what they deserve when they push their project goals too far for experience levels.

What an arrogant OP. Just because the SR-71 was designed without a FEA doesn't mean any undergraduate can replicate Kelly Johnson's talent mind you with no design experience. Don't even waste your time in PM. Virginia Tech will get what they deserve when they push their project goals too far for experience levels.

Andrew go take your meds, this post has nothing to do with the OP's question. The question has been answered nicely with several posts namely those of Steve Shannon and Roger aka "Jadebox". If you had a PM issue with the OP that's your problem.

Andrew go take your meds, this post has nothing to do with the OP's question. The question has been answered nicely with several posts namely those of Steve Shannon and Roger aka "Jadebox". If you had a PM issue with the OP that's your problem.

Rich, thank you. I will not waste everyones time with the details of the bizarre PM that I received. But, let's just say that "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished."

I am sorry for the bizarre PM and for insulting you on the open forum. I did not feel as prepared, experienced, funded, or supported as Virginia Tech students are. I hope if Virginia Tech students have technical design questions that they are not laughed at by faculty. And that they do not have to fund their own projects. I am only one person with little experience and I had to sleep with the decisions by what I knew and didn't know. Mistakes were made.

I am sorry for the bizarre PM and for insulting you on the open forum............ Mistakes were made.

You mean, like having a little decorum here on this forum?
Might try counting to ten before you post, when you feel yourself getting riled up.....works for me anyway.

Last edited:
At what point do people start thinking..."yea that guy always seemed little weird but I never thought he would....."???

I am sorry for the bizarre PM and for insulting you on the open forum. I did not feel as prepared, experienced, funded, or supported as Virginia Tech students are. I hope if Virginia Tech students have technical design questions that they are not laughed at by faculty. And that they do not have to fund their own projects. I am only one person with little experience and I had to sleep with the decisions by what I knew and didn't know. Mistakes were made.

Andrew, there comes a point where it becomes logical to go into lurker mode while learning. You comment on things that you have little to no experience or knowledge of as if you have been there and done that. You talk about SEDS like it is a big deal, yet do not even have a L1. The most important step in learning, in my opinion, is to realize you do not know, to stop talking, and to listen.

It actually becomes logical to ban a member for being exceedingly disruptive. The membership here, Andrew, has been exceedingly patient with you thus far. But there are limits.

Andrew,
I would not want you banned. I would like it if you asked questions and listened to the answers without drowning the signal in noise. Your experience with SEDS is valuable to you, but because you have attached so many different unimportant academic comments to it people tune you out. The people here are dying to help, if you just listen.

Andrew, I also would not want you banned. I think Steve’s comment dovetails with my previous. There are a lot of things to learn, and generally the best way to do it is to read more, and talk/type less. When you have a comment or question be succinct, write clearly, and you will get questions answered in a similar fashion. Do not feign experience or knowledge you do not have, as there are a lot of folks here who will know.

And, keep on topic. Ranting randomnly about old farts and their model trains just confuses the conversation.

Also- take your adderall

look, squirrel!

Seriously, one of the things I've learned the most as I gain "snow on the roof" is the value of the backspace key. Mine gets a lot of use......probably a good thing, too!

look, squirrel!

Seriously, one of the things I've learned the most as I gain "snow on the roof" is the value of the backspace key. Mine gets a lot of use......probably a good thing, too!

My technique is similar, write, review, edit, review, edit, review, delete post before posting. And wait at least two minutes between writing and submitting the post reviewing it the whole time. I do find it easier to maintain a train of thought when typing on a computer versus responding via my Galaxy Note5.

Back