RocketPoxy Shelf Life

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
Bought a RocketPoxy kit from the Wildman a few years ago with all the pigments and hand cream. Never opened the containers and have stored the package in the factory ziplock bag inside an airtight plastic storage container. No smell emanates from any of the containers and the taped seals are intact.

I recently bought an orange Formula 54 from Madcow and am considering using the RocketPoxy and fluorescent orange pigment for the fin fillets.

Any idea if this stuff is still viable?

it should be fine. The tan part may be stiff as hell, but once mixed with the white it should flow fine.

Best to mix on cardboard. Lay out 2 equal lines. mix & spread out for 10-15minutes to let air-bubbles release. Then use.
If you have ever used Bondo...use same mixing technique. With the colors just add 6-7 drops at first, mix and add more as needed to get intensity wanted. The color drops really "loosen" up the mix, so don't use anymore than needed!

Lets say you wanted 6 drops...put 3 on each line when you begin to mix both parts. Use the color blend to show how well you have mixed & ready to use.

Never add any fillers to RP...it already has many in it. Adding anything will only weaken the bond!:smile:

it should be fine. The tan part may be stiff as hell, but once mixed with the white it should flow fine.

The RocketPoxy I got about four years ago was pretty stiff, straight out of the box. I use coffee stirrers to "collect" and mix RP and I snapped one or two with how stiff this is. Is this the normal viscosity of RP? I thought I'd ask....

The RocketPoxy I got about four years ago was pretty stiff, straight out of the box. I use coffee stirrers to "collect" and mix RP and I snapped one or two with how stiff this is. Is this the normal viscosity of RP? I thought I'd ask....

Yes, they are both very thick. The brown hardener flows something like thickened honey. While the white part is different and has sort of a non Newtonian fluid type flow to it. I weigh out the white part first since it’s harder to control just how much I’m putting in my weigh cup. Then I add the Brown hardener by letting it ooze off of my coffee stirrer into my weigh cup. Once you start mixing them they actually flow really well, sort of like warm honey. I really like rocketpoxy because it’s honestly not too hard to deal with and is super strong. However I do find it to be a little brittle. I wish it had just a tiny bit more elasticity.

Back