MMMSC First Launch of the Season - 05 May 201

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The first launch of the MMMSC season is upon us. It will be this Saturday, 05 May (Cinco de Mayo), at the Harvard (formerly, Tuckahoe) Turf Farm in Berwick, ME.

New rules apply as to where we can and, especially, can’t drive and park. Scott should be there early to direct everyone; if you arrive before him, keep your four tires on the entrance roadway along the woods and wait for further instructions.

The forecast is for heavy winds starting at a fairly low altitude. Check the Windy forecast from the club website before you make your rocket/motor selections. We need to have all the rockets come back on the field.

Jason will be on the field with AMWProX stuff.

Let us know what you’ll be flying (or, at least, hoping to fly). We’ll start off with LPR, MPR and a couple of L1 capable HPR pads; any and all help will be gladly accepted. Conditions and good choices will dictate if we set up more HPR pads.

Just a reminder, if conditions allow and you want to attempt a certification flight, be kind, don't wait until the last half-hour to bring it up to safety check. Get the process started early in the day especially as we may not go the full scheduled time.

And as always, all of the usual rules apply:
  • Stay on the roadways - no wheels on the very edges of the grass, not even the very edges
  • No sparky motors
  • If you haven't done it yet, have your 38mm CTI motors checked for the proper delay grain
  • Any rocket using a CTI VMax motor and an active recovery system must not rely on the motor's ejection charge for a safe recovery; it must have electronic deployment for all of its events.
  • Positive motor retention especially for composite motors
  • Have your NAR (or TRA) card with you showing your cert level if you're going to fly HPR
  • If the winds aloft are doing much of anything, don't overfly the conditions
  • All the usual stuff in the NAR Safety Code, too.

Scott posted this on the club's Facebook page:
New Parking Rules: There was always a sign in the Bugs Bunny as G.I. cartoons that perplexed me, "Keep Off The Grass!" Nope not that part, that is self explanatory, it was always the second line, "This Means You!" As if You, would not know that "you" reading the sign were the "you" that is being addressed. My wise Mother explained so long ago, "Some people read the signs, but think, "They don't mean Me?""
1. As with every launch where we set-up will be dictated by the conditions on the field.
2. Don't drive on the grass.
3. Don't park on the grass.
4. Parking will be back at the Left turn near the Port-A-Poty.
5. We will park on dirt as tight as possible on both sides of the road. i.e. \\\\\
6. Drive, Drop, Park, Don't leave the road.
7. Only Club Trailers and vendors will stay on road at launch location.
8. Handicapped Placard will be accommodated per our set-up location.
9. As the season progresses parking on harvested areas near a set-up may be allowed, BUT ONLY as will fit, tardy to the party parks at the left turn.
10. Don't be afraid to ask as to what the plan is for that day.
If you end up near the woods, be sure to take precautions against the ticks, insect repellent, peppermint oil, whatever works for you.

Looking forward to the first launch of the year. Looking to fly my refurbished LOC Viper III and my original Heart Healthy Breakfast. A nose cone/parachute/harness was found last year and Scott gave it to me to have available to return to the owner. Not sure if the owner was known or if it is I don't remember who it was. The nose cone is 6" diameter and just shy of 3' long.MMMSC_Found_Nose_Cone.JPG

Back