What Is The Best Scrubbing Tool You've Found for Cleaning Motor Casings?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've used automobile mag wheel brushes, bottle brushes, tooth brushes- what have you guys found that works best for you? I fly 29mm to 75mm motors. I soak the casings in warm water and "Greased Lightning" cleaner before using a brush.

Mike Momenee
TRA #12430 L3

I just use baby wipes. The key is to clean them while they're still warm, not hours or days later.

I just use baby wipes. The key is to clean them while they're still warm, not hours or days later.

This is the way to do it.
I use a dowel rod to push the baby wipe through the case. A couple if passes and it's done.

Get a long 1/4" all-thread Rod
Run a nut down about an 1.5" down on it
Place a washer on top of the nut
Pierce two scotch Brite pads on the rod
Put another washer & nut on then tighten
Cut pads about 1/2" bigger diameter than your case

Chuck this up in your drill
Add a few drop of Dawn dish soap to the pad
Insert into case and buzz it clean in seconds
Rinse with cold water

This is the way to do it.
I use a dowel rod to push the baby wipe through the case. A couple if passes and it's done.

+1
If still dirty I add vinegar to the baby wipes. For really stubborn areas, green scrubbies and vinegar. Rinse off vinegar, do not soak the cases in it for more then a few minutes.

It's amazing how well the baby wipes clean motor cases. It's like magic!

Thanks all- you'll never know if you don't ask.

I was kinda wondering if someone had figured out a method using a power drill. I seem to be one of those guys who waits days after the launch to clean his cases.

old long bottle brush (carboy style) straightened out with a baby wipe over the top...

or
CTi..

Thanks all- you'll never know if you don't ask.

I was kinda wondering if someone had figured out a method using a power drill. I seem to be one of those guys who waits days after the launch to clean his cases.

+1 on the motor brushes from Chris' Rocket Supplies. Also try to clean your casings within 24 hours of launch. The ACPC residue will pit and corrode the metal.

I coat inside of case with Vaseline and then I use Dawn and hot water with a stout bottle brush to wash out, works great.

Boiling water and dish soap then a toothbrush. For AT 38mm cases I found a glasses screwdriver works for getting the rubber o-ring out of the forward closure.

When you DIDN'T break out the baby wipes and clean the case right after the flight while hot.....
You know you should have.
But [as usual] you had better things to do after a flight.

When back at the barn and faced with a cold case that's been sitting for weeks, months, years maybe:

Break out the power drill, extenders and a brake hone.
Wire-Tie Scotch-Brite pads to the brake hone so the shoes are covered, but the spring-action still works.
Soak pads with Isopropyl Alcohol and spin with the drill while moving in and out.
Works great on the most stuborn of burned on liner scraps.

Chris's cleaning brush, Mean Green, paper towels. Prompt cleaning helps a lot but I sometimes take longer to get around to it.

I use baby wipes, soft rags with rubbing alcohol and various brushes. I bought on of Chris' brushes for my 75mm Loki case. Worked great. I have one Aerotech 38mm case that wasn't cleaned or even disassembled for nearly a year. It got put into a box and was buried. I can't get the phenolic liner out. I've tried a dowel rod, flat screw driver, soaked it in water with dawn dish soap. Any ideas how to get the liner out? I always coat the liners with synthetic grease but this one is just plain stuck.

I use baby wipes, soft rags with rubbing alcohol and various brushes. I bought on of Chris' brushes for my 75mm Loki case. Worked great. I have one Aerotech 38mm case that wasn't cleaned or even disassembled for nearly a year. It got put into a box and was buried. I can't get the phenolic liner out. I've tried a dowel rod, flat screw driver, soaked it in water with dawn dish soap. Any ideas how to get the liner out? I always coat the liners with synthetic grease but this one is just plain stuck.

Heat up the outside of the case with a heat gun (to expand it) and use a FWD seal disk seated against the stuck phenolic liner. Place a wooden dowel against the seal disk and smack the dowel with a hammer to push the liner out. If you don't have a seal disk, you can try using another phenolic liner and smack it with a block of wood.

Heat up the outside of the case with a heat gun (to expand it) and use a FWD seal disk seated against the stuck phenolic liner. Place a wooden dowel against the seal disk and smack the dowel with a hammer to push the liner out. If you don't have a seal disk, you can try using another phenolic liner and smack it with a block of wood.

Thanks Dwayne. I'll try that. Probably won't be until later this month since my daughter, Janett is graduating on Mother's day.

These are all great ideas- thanks! I guess my disdain for cleaning the cases is why I'm buying more single use G & H motors for flights with JMRC across the highway from MIS Speedway. But when I make my yearly trek to Midwest Blast in Three Oaks, MI, that's when my J, K or L flights happen. I'll try to be a more attentive boy to my cases in the future- lol.

Back