Dremel extension wand

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OC_Rocket_Man

Reaction score
I need to get inside an old Initiator and tear out the motor hook and motor block. What's the best extension bit for a Dremel? I know they make a flex wand, but I don't think I can get that into a 29mm MT and then angle to cut the hook/block/thrust ring.

I did this exact thing with my Arreaux, where I removed the block and hook, and retrofitted an Aeropack retainer. I used the Dremel flex snake with a small cutting wheel to carefully cut the hook then pull it out. This worked well with almost no damage to the MMT. Then I used the flap sanding wheel that Dremel has by removing every 4th or 5th flap until the sanding wheel fit perfectly into the 29mm MMT and I cleaned everything up. I have had about a few dozen flights on it since then, if not more.

It can be done.

Good luck

I did this exact thing with my Arreaux, where I removed the block and hook, and retrofitted an Aeropack retainer. I used the Dremel flex snake with a small cutting wheel to carefully cut the hook then pull it out. This worked well with almost no damage to the MMT. Then I used the flap sanding wheel that Dremel has by removing every 4th or 5th flap until the sanding wheel fit perfectly into the 29mm MMT and I cleaned everything up. I have had about a few dozen flights on it since then, if not more.

It can be done.

Good luck

Thanks. I built this thing long ago. Back then I was reading how people make fillets, foam fin cans etc so I built it with tons of JB Weld and foam. Then I read about CG/CP so I added a bunch of lead and foam to the nose cone. Flew it twice and that was that.

Fast forward 12 years or something to today and I have this 888g Initiator (no motor). Now that I have a CTI 3G case coming, I want to do what you did to your Arreaux. Gut it, add an Aeropack and at least get some flights with a 3G case/load and/or have better retention for the RMS 29/40-120.

Thanks. I built this thing long ago. Back then I was reading how people make fillets, foam fin cans etc so I built it with tons of JB Weld and foam. Then I read about CG/CP so I added a bunch of lead and foam to the nose cone. Flew it twice and that was that.

Fast forward 12 years or something to today and I have this 888g Initiator (no motor). Now that I have a CTI 3G case coming, I want to do what you did to your Arreaux. Gut it, add an Aeropack and at least get some flights with a 3G case/load and/or have better retention for the RMS 29/40-120.

Well on the up-side if you can't "gut it" it sounds like the Initiator might make a good door stop. :wink:

Well on the up-side if you can't "gut it" it sounds like the Initiator might make a good door stop. :wink:

Man, that thrust ring and block were smoking like they were on fire as I ground them out. LOL.

Still a little metal edge left over from the hook sticking out I have to get rid of so it doesn't scratch my cases.

Wife told me to STHU for the rest of the night. Grinding rocket MT's over the kitchen sink @ 10PM isn't her idea of fun.

Back