Non-maths puzzle: multi-motor rocket design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsdemar

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Inspired by our friend snrkl from Down Under, here's one to ponder.

You have a pile of various Estes C6 engines to burn. You must choose exactly seven engines from the pile. Design a rocket to take only those 7 engines. They must be configured in three groups with an equal number of engines. Describe your motor mount configuration.

DO NOT post your answer here in the thread. First to PM me the correct answer wins. I'll post the answer whenever I think we've had enough fun. :)

Boatgeek had the first correct solution with a "Y" configuration.

There is another solution with the following additional limitation:
...... all 3 aligned groups must at 90 degrees angles from each other. Still must be an equal number of engines. And it must not have off-centered thrust.

Mark Koelsch had a good solution in the shape of an H.

Now for the final variation with an additional requirement....
.... The 3 groups of 3 engines must share a single engine!

The final solution for 3 rows of 3 engines, all rows at 90 degrees apart, sharing only one engine.... think 3 dimensions!

3-stage core gives one row. Four outboards sharing a center engine gives two more rows 90 deg apart from each other.... and 90 deg from the staged motors. :)

The final solution for 3 rows of 3 engines, all rows at 90 degrees apart, sharing only one engine.... think 3 dimensions!

3-stage core gives one row. Four outboards sharing a center engine gives two more rows 90 deg apart from each other.... and 90 deg from the staged motors. :)
I can do 7 motors in 3 rows at 90 degree angles with all motors firing at once...

Back