slim line

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys – I know Giant Leap makes the Slim Line retainer, but are there any others companies like Aerotech that has anything similar? I like the slim line, but it’s only made to fit GL tubes and yes I know you can wrap the tube with tape if it’s too big or sand if it’s too small. Just trying to avoid that if possible.

What size?
MAC Performance has the Fastback in 54mm
Hoping they do more sizes.
Wildman had a similar solution in at least one of their V2 kits, may be worth a call or email to them. Other than that, I'd like to here other options as well.

What size?
MAC Performance has the Fastback in 54mm
Hoping they do more sizes.
Wildman had a similar solution in at least one of their V2 kits, may be worth a call or email to them. Other than that, I'd like to here other options as well.

There would definitely be a market if someone decided on making them to fit most popular sized motor mount tubes. I like the design especially when using them with a boat tail or tail cone. It really gives any rocket a clean look! Like I said buying one size and trying to make fit different sized tubes is kind of ridiculous. You're relying on wrapped tape to compensate for the wrong size retainer when the purpose of the retainer is to secure the motor from ejecting out from the aft end of the rocket. Something wrong with that picture. Maybe we can stick some bubble gum on the retainer instead of using JB Weld?? That's how I see it.

Are you aware of Aero Pack's retainers? Not sure if you aren't or if you already ruled them out because they are bigger than the slimlines?

I've used both, and definitely prefer Aero Pack's over the slimlines. Having the turning part on the outside makes it easier to work with (no tools required), and I think would be less prone to an issue I ran into that did my last slimline in, the rocket landed (under chute) on a rock, which dented the retainer enough that the inner ring was impossible to remove. Had to hacksaw the retainer off to free the aft closure that was trapped inside it, switched to internal retention (another Aero Pack part) for that rocket after that. I don't think the same thing would have happened with Aero Pack's outer ring, just seems stronger but I could be wrong.

Aero Pack does make their base part in a few different sizes to accommodate different MMT materials, though I often find I still need to sand the MMT a bit to get them to fit well.

There would definitely be a market if someone decided on making them to fit most popular sized motor mount tubes. I like the design especially when using them with a boat tail or tail cone. It really gives any rocket a clean look! Like I said buying one size and trying to make fit different sized tubes is kind of ridiculous. You're relying on wrapped tape to compensate for the wrong size retainer when the purpose of the retainer is to secure the motor from ejecting out from the aft end of the rocket. Something wrong with that picture. Maybe we can stick some bubble gum on the retainer instead of using JB Weld?? That's how I see it.

:) I agree. I have requested quotes for different types of retainers and I don't have the capital to source enough to where I ccould sell them at a fair price. I think Aeropack retainers are so easy and simple that folks just don't want to pay the same amount for something more complicated and also requires tools. I prefer the cleaner look of a slimline type or even kaplow still retention but Aeropack style retainers are just super simple and fairly inexpensive.

Hey guys – I know Giant Leap makes the Slim Line retainer, but are there any others companies like Aerotech that has anything similar? I like the slim line, but it’s only made to fit GL tubes and yes I know you can wrap the tube with tape if it’s too big or sand if it’s too small. Just trying to avoid that if possible.

Giant Leap motor tubes were (probably still are) the same size as PML phenolic motor tubes. That is not an odd size. I used a slimline retainer inside of a PML tailcone when I needed something for the PML two stage BBX sustainer and Terrier booster.

I have used the GLR slimline on the Aerotech Aerreaux 29 mm MMT, PML Bull Pupp 38mm MMT, a RW now Madcow Formula 38 29mm MMT, Madcow 3" Little John 38 mm MMT and a Wildman Min Eagle Claw Dual Deploy 29mm MMT. All fit, some better than others, but building up small strips of masking tape 120 degrees apart along with proper tube prep worked without any issue.

I also like the look of MACs fast back snap ring retainers, which I own but as part of some unbuilt kits, so no field experience.

Aeropack I also like for the simplicity and have used them on several kits, again without issue on installation.

I have a Slimline on a MAC kit. No issues. The threaded 54mm Slimline retainers work with Loki motors and Aeropack adapters. No idea about other size Slimline retainers, I don't own any.

I have used slimline retainers on several FG tubes with no major issue.

Now that you mentioned it, I’ve also used them on a Wildman Jr. kit with no fit problems.

Sorry, I do not mean to hijack this thread but I have DS Jr and had considered using a GLR tail cone. Did you use one or just a retainer? If it was a tail cone, which one did you purchase?

Thx in advance.

Sorry, I do not mean to hijack this thread but I have DS Jr and had considered using a GLR tail cone. Did you use one or just a retainer? If it was a tail cone, which one did you purchase?

Thx in advance.

On the Wildman jr. I used the rounded tailcone with a spiral ring. I don’t know a model or order number.

Thx in advance.

I am just using slimline.

2 stage.JPG

Thx in advance.

I used the 54mm GLR tailcone on a 3" Darkstar, but I ended up removing and replacing it with the Aeropack tailcone because my Loki hardware was not compatible with the GLR tailcone at that time. That was the previous generation of the hardware and I believe that the new gen of Loki is now compatible with it.

20141130_123051.jpg

On the Wildman jr. I used the rounded tailcone with a spiral ring. I don’t know a model or order number.

I am just using slimline.

View attachment 343885

I used the 54mm GLR tailcone on a 3" Darkstar, but I ended up removing and replacing it with the Aeropack tailcone because my Loki hardware was not compatible with the GLR tailcone at that time. That was the previous generation of the hardware and I believe that the new gen of Loki is now compatible with it.

View attachment 343887

Thanks guys for the replies. This will help.

Much appreciated.

Are you aware of Aero Pack's retainers? Not sure if you aren't or if you already ruled them out because they are bigger than the slimlines?

I've used both, and definitely prefer Aero Pack's over the slimlines. Having the turning part on the outside makes it easier to work with (no tools required), and I think would be less prone to an issue I ran into that did my last slimline in, the rocket landed (under chute) on a rock, which dented the retainer enough that the inner ring was impossible to remove. Had to hacksaw the retainer off to free the aft closure that was trapped inside it, switched to internal retention (another Aero Pack part) for that rocket after that. I don't think the same thing would have happened with Aero Pack's outer ring, just seems stronger but I could be wrong.

Aero Pack does make their base part in a few different sizes to accommodate different MMT materials, though I often find I still need to sand the MMT a bit to get them to fit well.

I've used aeropack retainers but wasn't aware of the other items they offer. Don't get me wrong I like slimline just wish the retainers fit more motor tubes. GL offers a great product along with a whole web store of cool stuff. A great vendor!

I use Slim Lines on Loc tubes. As discussed, they don't fit without some fixing. I don't wrap the motor tube, instead I use shims placed 120 degrees out. Toothpicks, strips of tape, anything will work. It helps center the retainer and allows the glue to contact the tube itself and the retainer.

I use Slim Lines on Loc tubes. As discussed, they don't fit without some fixing. I don't wrap the motor tube, instead I use shims placed 120 degrees out. Toothpicks, strips of tape, anything will work. It helps center the retainer and allows the glue to contact the tube itself and the retainer.

Seems like a PITA

I drilled and tapped four holes around the HAMR38 on Danger Close and used #2 screws to adjust the fit and align the retainer. THAT sir was a PITA. Lol. It's okay to torture oneself on occasion.

That's not 100% accurate. I have used them on Blue Tube, Loc, and PML tubing. Never had to sand or add tape.

Alan

I think it has to do with the size. I never had an issue with 38mm but always with 29mm.

Back