Rusto 2x Metallic Paints

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Rustoleum 2x Metallic Spray Paint product page

These seem to be new; SDS sheet is dated February of this year. Anyone tried them yet? I've had decent luck with the regular Rusto metallics, but if I can get better coverage out of these they could be a nice improvement.

Particularly curious about the gold and silver, which have gloss caps, but almost certainly do not actually finish this way.

If anyone has tried these, please weigh in!

Indoor use only

FOR BEST RESULTS
Do not use with clear coating to avoid dulling the finish.
Which part is a problem? Clear coating metallics is *always* dicey, although I've found that a coat or two of Future doesn't really hurt. I'm not sure about the "Indoor use only".

I've used the Rusto "Stops Rust" brand for satisfactory results.
Yeah, that's what I've used up until now.

Which part is a problem? Clear coating metallics is *always* dicey, although I've found that a coat or two of Future doesn't really hurt. I'm not sure about the "Indoor use only".

Yeah, that's what I've used up until now.

When I read "Indoor use" I take it to mean "softer and more fragile" the others. Yes, two coats of Future might toughen it up a bit. When I painted my L1 rocket (about 9 years ago now :shock: ) the instructions on the can said to hit it with clear 10 minutes after the color. The results were pretty dazzling and my photo didn't do it justice. After many years of flying and one tree recover the finish has really stood up.

But please, don't let my timid nature stop you from trying that 2X metallic, especially if you didn't like the results you got with the Stops Rust. :)

I used the gold 2X for the first time 2 weeks ago. I was really impressed with how it looked. Most rattle can golds don't measure up to this. Take a close look at the little gold rocket on this table. I used transparent blue over it after this pic was taken and it worked very well.

Winter Builds 2018.JPG

I’v used both gold and aluminum, they hold up well and have great metallic qualities. The gold is especially prone to finger prints, even months after the paints dried. Neither like top coat, it dulls any metallic luster.

I like the Rusto Universal Metallics. I’ve tried the Dark Steel and the Aged Copper - both went on easier than the 2X Aluminum- and look great.

I like the Rusto Universal Metallics. I’ve tried the Dark Steel and the Aged Copper - both went on easier than the 2X Aluminum- and look great.

The Universals are a mystery to me... I don't understand how they fit in the product line vs. the 2x and the Stops Rust. The majority of folks around here seem to favor the 2x (that's what I typically use) but maybe because no one else understands it either.

... the instructions on the can said to hit it with clear 10 minutes after the color. The results were pretty dazzling and my photo didn't do it justice. After many years of flying and one tree recover the finish has really stood up.

Whoa, never heard that. Is that the Stops Rust metallic? Which clearcoat?

I took a "sanity check" trip to Walmart to make sure my metallic of choice hadn't succumbed to the dread "new and improved". No worries. Good old Rusto Stops Rust Metallic was still there. Here's what the label says:

rusto metallic can.jpg

rusto metallic silver.jpg

The Universals are a mystery to me... I don't understand how they fit in the product line vs. the 2x and the Stops Rust. The majority of folks around here seem to favor the 2x (that's what I typically use) but maybe because no one else understands it either.

The sub-brands are completely confusing and not a great guide to compatibility. For color, I prefer the 2x. For metallics, I like the Stops Rust. The Stops Rust metallics are tough metal-flake type metallics that are compatible with each other and with Stops Rust clear coat. But you can’t put Stops Rust colors over Stops Rust metallics — it just peels right off like a sticker.

I have put the Universal Metallics over 2X colors. And I find the UMs easier to keep from running than the 2X metallics. I’ve tried one other Rusto metallic that i didn’t like at all - but I don’t recall if it was the Stops Rust, or another product line yet.

I used the gold 2X for the first time 2 weeks ago. I was really impressed with how it looked. Most rattle can golds don't measure up to this. Take a close look at the little gold rocket on this table. I used transparent blue over it after this pic was taken and it worked very well.

View attachment 343868

So you were able to tape off over the gold, and the tape did not pull the metallic paint off? I need to try that metallic paint. I have not had any luck with masking over a metallic.

So you were able to tape off over the gold, and the tape did not pull the metallic paint off? I need to try that metallic paint. I have not had any luck with masking over a metallic.

No, I did not mask anything. The whole rocket is mostly a PNC 80K, and the silver tip area is where it separates for chute placement. I painted the tip silver and the rest of the rocket gold. I never found a silver or gold paint that would let you mask over it. After the gold dried, I coated it with the transparent color.

No, I did not mask anything. The whole rocket is mostly a PNC 80K, and the silver tip area is where it separates for chute placement. I painted the tip silver and the rest of the rocket gold. I never found a silver or gold paint that would let you mask over it. After the gold dried, I coated it with the transparent color.

What does it look like now, with the transparent blue over the gold?

One kind of metalic paint that you can mask with no problems is the Stops Rust metalic. It’s a tough metalic flake kind of paint. The paint is pretty rugged. Masking tape is no problem. It doesn’t pick up fingerprints. If it gets muddy, you can wipe it clean with a wet rag.

What does it look like now, with the transparent blue over the gold?

Transparent colors are said to be best used over silver and gold. I've used them over silver before with great results. The transparent color still looks like the color that it is. This time I tried Trans-blue over gold and ended up with a dark aqua or dark bluish green tint. Not really what I expected. But it was tolerable enough to leave it that way.

I don’t like any of the rusto paints.. Coverage is poor and they take days to cure. Fumes are tolerable though. Krylon paint (if you can stand the smell and it’s legal where you live) is far superior in my experience. Their metalic colours are fantastic to work with. The local hardware store was selling off their inventory at $3 a can so I grabbed almost every colour they had.

That said, I use rusto and can get descent results with it, but I avoid it if possible.

Usually transparent and candy colors use a silver as a base; their intended color if blended with that in mind and the metallic sheen of the base is part of what gives the candied look. Putting it over gold sounds like a neat way to tweak the hue. I suppose it might also be interesting to try over bronze shades or something. You also put them over white to lighten them up, but you loose the metallic element.

Transparent colors are said to be best used over silver and gold. I've used them over silver before with great results. The transparent color still looks like the color that it is. This time I tried Trans-blue over gold and ended up with a dark aqua or dark bluish green tint. Not really what I expected. But it was tolerable enough to leave it that way.

What kind of transparent paint are you using?

Usually transparent and candy colors use a silver as a base; their intended color if blended with that in mind and the metallic sheen of the base is part of what gives the candied look. Putting it over gold sounds like a neat way to tweak the hue. I suppose it might also be interesting to try over bronze shades or something. You also put them over white to lighten them up, but you loose the metallic element.

Indeed! I've considered using the transparents over auto colors like the pewter & copper I have and some of their other metallic's. Auto colors CAN be masked over. I should have considered that option rather than the rattle cans I have.

FWIW, I've used Duplicolor's Metalcast paints with good luck - both on rockets and a number of bicycles. There's a silver base coat (called ground coat) and several flavors of translucent paint colors. They have the overall look of anodized aluminum. In fact, I've also used them on bare aluminum and steel without the base coat. But the colors include red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and smoke as I recall. Sometimes you can find them at the autopart store, but I've mostly bought from Amazon. The trickiest part is trying to build up even coats; the color darkens with each successive coat. But Duplicolor paints and spray nozzles are some of the easiest to work with that I've found.

I don’t like any of the rusto paints.. Coverage is poor and they take days to cure. Fumes are tolerable though. Krylon paint (if you can stand the smell and it’s legal where you live) is far superior in my experience. Their metalic colours are fantastic to work with. The local hardware store was selling off their inventory at $3 a can so I grabbed almost every colour they had.

That said, I use rusto and can get descent results with it, but I avoid it if possible.

It’s funny - I’ve had excellent experience with rustoleum 2x (once I established my “all within an hour or wait 48 rule {72hrs+ for plastic}) over just about every other brand I can get at Bunnings here in Australia.

I dip into other brands when colour selection demands it, but the R2X is my go to paint of choice.

Back