Bringing Out The Winter Builds 2018

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
And a couple newbies from late last summer. This years line up of new models has 2 kits involved. Hey! I have permission to do a kit if I want to.....SO

From left to right there is Mystic Djinn. A BT 60 size model with 24mm motor mount. Next we have the twins. The little one is the Orbital Transport Laboratory, DOM Plan #73 and it's big brother upscale behind, done up on a BT 80 airframe. That big goofy fellow in the center is none other than Beldar Conehead. He'll get a maiden flight on an F67-4 single use because I really need a good push but not a lot of altitude. If that goes well, I'll consider a G motor of sorts. Omegazilla II finishes out this batch. This is an upscale from my original design about twice as large.

Nubies 2018.jpg

Batch #2 from left to right starts with Slick Daddy. This is a downscale of a design by "Estesbasher". I did mine with a PNC 80K. It flies so well that I have plans for a 4" design. Next is Aldebaran. A Klima kit given to me by Leo Nutz. He wanted my opinion on the kit quality and he soooo got it. Great parts to say the least. Fat Vagabond stands boldly with the yellow to orange fade done up on a BT 70. It's a squat version of the kit and much fatter. Flies like a champ too. LW gave me the Apogee Mini Condor (up front) because I stink in the glider world of model rocketry. He's helping me get my chops up to speed. (LOVE YOU MAN!!!) Last on the right, is an upscale Spaceman. I built this with a BT 80 airframe and a BT 55 neck piece. All of these rockets sport hand turned nose cones except for Slick Daddy, Aldebaran and the Mini Condor. The black background made it almost impossible to see some features done in black paint, so you might notice the slight silver lining around certain nose cones and fins. Can't wait to get em in the air.

Nubies 1 20218.jpg

That’s a productive winter. :)

I will say though that it’s hard to concentrate on anything else in the picture when Beldar is there. That thing is seriously hilarious.

I see something familiar :wink:

Great builds Gary!

And I will bring Aldebaran to Freedom Launch Leo. All my new stuff gets taken to most every launch in the given year. Except those that got seriously damaged. Beldar took a beating that may take a while to fix and I'll be adding significant nose weight to it also.

Although this was on the drawing board this winter, it didn't really surface until early Spring.But it's a nubie nonetheless. For those you 'in the know' my signature design is Fiddle Faddle and I have a family of them. The Gooniefied version of said design is one of my favorites to fly. It's the orange one in the pic and built with a BT 60 airframe and designated nose cone for Goonie Birds. The other pic is an upscale to 4" tube, hand turned foam nose cone and laser cut plywood fins. Being such a draggy model, I only built it for the use of 29mm motors. Right now, I don't qualify for level 1 motors so I'll just have to play in the limited sized sandbox until I do. I have plans to fly it in a couple of weeks and I'm all set to get the primer on it. Unfortunately Mother Nature is hindering my efforts to finish it off with the humidity such as it is. For the first time ever, I am at a total loss for a color scheme.

DSCF1708.JPG

5.JPG

You need to strap a camera on that thing. Should be great footage!

Back