Beveling Nike Smoke fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I'm considering a 4" semi-scale scratch built Nike Smoke. The fins will be plywood. Does anyone have any ideas on how to bevel the fins? They will be about 5-1/4" wide (less the tabs), and I have a 6" stationary belt sander. A jig of some sort?

View attachment NikeSmoke4 stretch.ork

fin template.jpg

Usually I build mine up with plywood cores and balsa and basswood skins. The basswood is used to create thin ribs that are harder to sand than balsa, and the core is even harder to sand. Major material removal is via machine and the finish work is using a Great Planes Easy Touch bar sanders ( I own two, a 5.5" and a 11", wishing I had the 22").

Last edited:
I will have to look, I know all three of my build threads for the Nike Smoke, Nike Cajun, and the Nike Hercules should have pictures, I will try and link them in a bit.

Okay
Pic 1-3: Nike Smoke Fins, cores, core with center skin and ribs, and finished fins two with paper. The basswood ribs are visible in picture 2 on each side of the center skin.

Pic 4 and 5 Nike-Cajun fins with basswood center rib and balsa side skins.

Pic 6-8 Nike Hercules Sustainer Fins basswood rib along bottom, plywood core and balsa built up skin (profile was formed with Great Planes Razor Plane and sanding), the rear triangle portion was made from posterboard.

Pics 9-10 Nike Hercules Booster Fins, same construction method as others except basswood ribs were along the root and tip edges, the softer balsa was in the center skins and leading and trailing edges (not yet installed in pic 9), these profiles were sanded entirely using the 11" Great Planes Easy Touch Sander (would have been nice though to have the 22").
1T300 Nike Smoke 4.jpg2T300 Nike Smoke 2.jpg3T300 Nike Smoke6.jpg4Nike Cajun7.jpg5Nike Cajun15.jpg6NikeHerc80.jpg7NikeHerc82.jpg8NikeHerc96.jpg9NikeHerc69.jpg10NikeHerc66.jpg

Edit by pre-sanding the center rib on the Nike Cajun fins it was easy to profile the taper from root to tip so that once the skins were added it was just a matter of sanding to match the rib in the center and to the edge of the plywood core. The plywood cores are leave a leading edge thicker than true scale but the fins are a bit less prone to damage having thicker edges and the ply cores are much stronger. The plywood is either 3mm Baltic Birch (which I get from wholesaler in 5'x5' sheets) or its Midwest 1/8" bought at Hobby Lobby, Micheal's, or Craft Warehouse.

Last edited:
Back