Madcow Formula 98 - L2 cert build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All assembled. 3945g (8.5 lbs) without motor. Looking for 2400' on a J425 with 1.45 cal stability. The OpenRocket CG calcs come very close to the build. Tonight the joints had some extra tape applied to make good friction fits.

DSC_6793.jpg

It's ready for Wednesday. It has a tail cone now and one extra Quick-link, bringing its empty weight to exactly 4kg. L2 cert flight countdown started.

DSC_6801.jpg

It was a good day at LDRS. Level 2 achieved. I am pleased to have Steve's signature on the L2: he is wise, detailed, thoughtful, and caring.

DSC_6802.jpg

DSC_6805.jpg

DSC_6806.png

Congrats. Tell us about the flight? How high? How far away from the pads did it land?

I would have failed you because the rocket isn't complete. Not even a decal! :wink:

I'm joking of course. Don't drag out the torches and pitchforks just yet. Nice looking rocket either way.

Congrats! No sweat right? And, yes, how high did it go?

Now you can join us other L2s and fly all the G, H and I motors you want! Wait...what? LOL

I would have failed you because the rocket isn't complete. Not even a decal!

I love it! It did have a vent hole at the CP, but isn't not very obvious in the photos. Hehe...

It didn't have an altimeter, but the TCC folks guesstimated 2500' for the flight (OR sim'd 2320). I flew it again on the J425R today. A gust of wind whacked it off vertical after liftoff, but at least I have a video. It needs editing and maybe isn't very pro, but my mind was in the rocket and the camera was secondary.

Winds were 8-10 gusting 15 or so, and today was a wee bit stronger. Yesterday's flight was quite straight, while today's turned into the wind in the 50' above the launch rail. Yesterday's walk was about a third of a mile, but off the centerline through fallow alfalfa fields. 2x calorie burn. Today's was 1/2 mile but on the tilled, compacted centerline. I didn't use the JLCR because the motor is long, the 45" chute takes space, and I was happy to get it to pack for SD flight in the F98's short fincan. I honestly wonder if a JLCR is appropriate for a 10 lb rocket with Kevlar shock cords. That's why a chose the F98, as a solid and rather large platform to break into DD.

Aw, man, everyone within a few hours of Helm should come see what they've done to make LDRS pleasant and fun. It's "well-discplined" but personally extremely cordial. If you want a cert flight, LDRS is the place to do it. It's full of special fliers and special vendors in an immaculate location. This is the best before/after photo of my life.

Thank you all for your well-wishes. The members of TRF have made this flight possible.

DSC_6808.jpg

I love it! It did have a vent hole at the CP, but isn't not very obvious in the photos. Hehe...

It didn't have an altimeter, but the TCC folks guesstimated 2500' for the flight (OR sim'd 2320). I flew it again on the J425R today. A gust of wind whacked it off vertical after liftoff, but at least I have a video. It needs editing and maybe isn't very pro, but my mind was in the rocket and the camera was secondary.

Winds were 8-10 gusting 15 or so, and today was a wee bit stronger. Yesterday's flight was quite straight, while today's turned into the wind in the 50' above the launch rail. Yesterday's walk was about a third of a mile, but off the centerline through fallow alfalfa fields. 2x calorie burn. Today's was 1/2 mile but on the tilled, compacted centerline. I didn't use the JLCR because the motor is long, the 45" chute takes space, and I was happy to get it to pack for SD flight in the F98's short fincan. I honestly wonder if a JLCR is appropriate for a 10 lb rocket with Kevlar shock cords. That's why a chose the F98, as a solid and rather large platform to break into DD.

Aw, man, everyone within a few hours of Helm should come see what they've done to make LDRS pleasant and fun. It's "well-discplined" but personally extremely cordial. If you want a cert flight, LDRS is the place to do it. It's full of special fliers and special vendors in an immaculate location. This is the best before/after photo of my life.

Thank you all for your well-wishes. The members of TRF have made this flight possible.

DSC_6808.jpg

I see no reason why the JLCR wouldn't work out. If you have room for the 45" chute the JLCR should fit very easy.

Back