Food Saver Vacuum Bagging

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
I found a used Foodsaver at a thrift store for $5.99, and I'm going to use it as a cheapo vacuum-bagging rig for some fins I want to glass.

I've never glassed anything before, so first I'm going to try laminating a layer of glass onto some fins for an Argent kit I've had in my attic for some time just to try out the technique. Then, if all goes well, I'm going to use it to laminate a layer of glass onto my LOC Comet kit's fins.

Just to try out the vacuum, I used it to glue together the 2 halves of the molded plastic fins of an Estes Ascender. Instructions call for CA glue, but I used JB Weld instead. These fin halves never mate together perfectly, so in the past, I have usually used 5 or 6 small clamps per fin to hold them together while the glue sets. This time, I tossed them in the vacuum bagger, and it worked perfectly to keep the halves pressed firmly together while the glue cured. Even though it probably wasn't necessary, I used the perforated release film and the breather cloth just like you would if doing a lamination -- just for practice.

Who else has used a Foodsaver for this? I did a search for Foodsaver and found nothing, but I'm sure I've heard of others doing this. Any tips and tricks would be appreciated!

I found a used Foodsaver at a thrift store for $5.99, and I'm going to use it as a cheapo vacuum-bagging rig for some fins I want to glass.

I've never glassed anything before, so first I'm going to try laminating a layer of glass onto some fins for an Argent kit I've had in my attic for some time just to try out the technique. Then, if all goes well, I'm going to use it to laminate a layer of glass onto my LOC Comet kit's fins.

Just to try out the vacuum, I used it to glue together the 2 halves of the molded plastic fins of an Estes Ascender. Instructions call for CA glue, but I used JB Weld instead. These fin halves never mate together perfectly, so in the past, I have usually used 5 or 6 small clamps per fin to hold them together while the glue sets. This time, I tossed them in the vacuum bagger, and it worked perfectly to keep the halves pressed firmly together while the glue cured. Even though it probably wasn't necessary, I used the perforated release film and the breather cloth just like you would if doing a lamination -- just for practice.

Who else has used a Foodsaver for this? I did a search for Foodsaver and found nothing, but I'm sure I've heard of others doing this. Any tips and tricks would be appreciated!

https://www.jcrocket.com/kitchenbagging.shtml

not sure its even necessary. i have glassed 3 sets of fins now and also 3 sets of T2T under no vacuum and they came out looking fine.

Watch some of Tony's (tfish) videos:

https://youtu.be/PtYYsX3VEmc

The main thing I'm concerned about is that I'm going to have a rounded bevel put on the fins with a router, and the fins themselves have a long curve and a sharp point. I was concerned about getting the glass to conform to the curves and points, and I think the vacuum would help with that (speaking as a person with ZERO experience with this!).

Thanks for the link to the videos!

The main thing I'm concerned about is that I'm going to have a rounded bevel put on the fins with a router, and the fins themselves have a long curve and a sharp point. I was concerned about getting the glass to conform to the curves and points, and I think the vacuum would help with that (speaking as a person with ZERO experience with this!).

Thanks for the link to the videos!

Some weaves and lighter weight cloth drape better over curves. With a little practice you’ll be able to smooth fabric over compound curves. Watch some YouTube surfboard videos also. Some are amazing!
5.7 oz glass fabric does well over large radius curves but I haven’t been able to make it conform to small edges.

not sure its even necessary. i have glassed 3 sets of fins now and also 3 sets of T2T under no vacuum and they came out looking fine.

Watch some of Tony's (tfish) videos:

https://youtu.be/PtYYsX3VEmc

Having done both no vacuum and under vacuum I can tell you first hand that using a vacuum does provide superior results. Whether this is "necessary" or not is the subjective part. Personally once you own the vacuum equipment and have your technique dialed in I would have to justify to myself why I would not use my vacuum.

Back