• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Aerotech 30" Chute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcguy5

Reaction score
Looking for an aerotech 30" chute to do a dual chute setup on my aerotech rockets while using a chute realease. Anyone have one they would sell me and ship in an envelope to Toronto?

Thanks, Mike

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I will check those out and most likely end up buying one if I don't find an aerotech one here.

Mike

Depending on your setup , a 30 inch chute may not be big enough for the added weight of a duel deploy setup . I would recomend buying a top flight 36 inch chute.

Hey 3stooges, I'm doing a double 30" recovery setup on the same connection point and not dual deploy. I'm using a chute release so I'll let it fall to about 200'-300' then deploy the doublechute setup to get the rocket to settle nice and slow.

Mike

Hey 3stooges, I'm doing a double 30" recovery setup on the same connection point and not dual deploy. I'm using a chute release so I'll let it fall to about 200'-300' then deploy the doublechute setup to get the rocket to settle nice and slow.

Mike

That sounds like a fair chance of having two tangled chutes.

Mike

Have you ever used 2 chutes attached at the same spot before? Does it work? I would guess that it might be safer to attach them at different points along the shock cord to separate them a bit.

Mike

Hey Mike , dont forget when you use multiple chutes on one attachment point , your efficency goes way down as your chutes will be angled out and not flat . Ive seen / heard data that it will be roughly 30% per chute . So looking at top flights decent calculator , a 30 inch chute will hold 1.75-3 pounds at 17-22 fps and a 36 inch chute will hold 3-5 lbs at the same decent rate. Two chutes doubles the risk of entanglement as well.

Eric

With all the views and suggestions on this idea I'm starting to realize it's more risky than cool. I have a pml 48" chute with spill hole that I think I'll use instead. I know it's much larger than needed but I've had great success with the chute release set at 200' that it would be a very slow descent and soft landing which I'm looking for with not much drift. If it is a windy day I'll swap for the 30".

Thanks for all the tips guys

You can also reef the lines on an oversized chute so that it does not inflate as much to minimize drift. I use the same 48" PML chute on lots of 3" diameter models, reefed or not.

Another option I like to do is to let motor ejection kick out the laundry: 1 large chute with the Chute Release and 1 smaller drogue chute that inflates with motor eject (put the drogue on the nose cone or close to it, and the main 1/3 of the way down from the nose cone).

Back