Your Prized Motors: A Fun Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeRoc29

Reaction score
It's Friday, just popped open a nice bottle of cab, now what to do... I know, start a new TRF cool motor thread! Here are the guidelines:

1) Post pics, specs, and stories of your favorite motors in your possession. Pics or it didn't happen!
2) Motors you once had that you wish you had bought more of
3) Motors you always wanted but probably will never get

I'll start. Motors I have:

Rocketflite F50-7 Silver Streak. I have two more just like it in the box and plan to burn them all at some point. Just waiting for the right occasion.
image_zpsplqgtecr.jpeg

A Ron Urinsco 54mm L1400 reload and case. This was made by Ron in his pre-APS days. The case is an AT type but much longer than anything AT ever made. It is long enough to take two K550 reloads, stack all 8 grains and then, well, stand way way back. I don't plan on doing that. Instead, I managed to get my hands on one of Ron's own "standard" formula loads for it. Six long grains and a custom graphite nozzle also turned by Ron. Also waiting for the right time/rocket to burn this puppy. Date on the liner indicates April '94.
image_zpsai9to9v4.jpeg

Motors I wish I had bought more of: AT H125WL SU. That was an awesome, punchy full H back in the day.

Motors I wish I had but never will: Kosdon O10000

Haha, somebody should draw up a treasure map with all known locations of buried Kosdon "airframes." Between Kansas and Nevada, I believe there are quite a few.

Here's a few in my collection:

AeroTech 18mm x 70mm E30-8 motor
AeroTech E30-8  18mm motor 001 Side View.jpg AeroTech E30-8  18mm motor 002 Nozzle.jpg AeroTech E30-8  18mm motor 003  End Cap.jpg

AeroTech G10-8 (30mm diameter case)
AeroTech G10-8 001.jpg AeroTech G10-8 002 End Cap.jpg

Centuri Atlas E2.8-4
Atlas E2.8-4 Motor.jpg

FSI Thunderbolt G60-8
FSI Thunderbolt G60.jpg FSI Thunderbolt G60 Nozzle.jpg FSI Thunderbolt G60 Ejection Cap.jpg

North Coast Rocketry By Estes Dark Star F62 and G70 motors
NCRBE DS F62-9 and G70-10.jpg

That's enough for now. :)

Is that an FSI composite motor? Didn't know they made any. More info?

Nice. Interesting timing, I had a customer indicate that FSI actually made quite a few single use composite motors. I thought he was mistaking as I was only aware of black powder motors but apparently he was right on. Any idea of the breadth of their composite offerings?

I went and dug up a plausible explanation.

Got a Ellis Mountain G37-10 a few years ago. It was made in 2006.
Now, that was an awesome motor!
It kicked my 24mm MD rocket to around 3.5K.
IMG_8334.jpgIMG_8335.jpg
Too bad I don't have any of those anymore! :(

I think that's about it for me!

Thanks,

Yes, one of the 'mythical' FSI Thunderbolt motors.

FSI made composite AP motors for commercial and movie customers.

In one of the last FSI catalogs, Thunderbolt motors were noted but without details.

Tony! Last time I flew one it was an aluminum case. Never saw a phenolic one but clearly they were made. Hey, I have a couple things for you next time we meet up.

DeeRoc..
I have an extra...

I'll bring it next time we meet up..

Tony

That was a cool motor, Andrew. Thanks for sharing! I flew one back when they were still available. I also liked Ellis's 54mm SU L330. Flew two of those in my Laser Loc 3.1 at Lucerne. Very cool motors. Miss Ellis.

Got a Ellis Mountain G37-10 a few years ago. It was made in 2006.
Now, that was an awesome motor!
It kicked my 24mm MD rocket to around 3.5K.
View attachment 343546View attachment 343547
Too bad I don't have any of those anymore! :(

I think that's about it for me!

Thanks,

The only collectible motors I have are a few NCR F62 Darkstars. Only the F's. I also would like to add some Rocketflite Sliver Streaks to my collection, but alas, always too slow or too far away when they come up for sale.

I came into this one a few weeks ago. I think it'll fly once I have an appropriate rocket...

IMG_0799.jpgIMG_0803.jpg

A few items I've picked up over the years. I'll probably never use the motors. I don't know how they were stored before I came upon them. The manual is copyright 1966 and so it nearly a decade older than I am. I think the Estes motors might be older than me too.

20180504_230543.jpg

20180504_230516.jpg

20180504_230534.jpg

20180504_230446.jpg

That I800! Man I wish I could see that in anger. I'd love to source a Kosdon 29/150 case for the KBA motors.

Now that is a kind of a rare bird. I wonder how many were sold. I assume you have flown it? If so, how did it go?

I've actually never flown it, but I've fired it in a stand. (If you can find the video on the RATTworks website, that's my motor.) I doubt they sold many. I've never seen another one.

I've actually never flown it, but I've fired it in a stand. (If you can find the video on the RATTworks website, that's my motor.) I doubt they sold many. I've never seen another one.

You should fly it- at least once.

Back