Your Prized Motors: A Fun Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had 1 of the -7 delay. Wish I had more. I've got a stack of the -3 delay, which are great for most downscales.

These are the motors that drove me to extend Wildman's 2nd Law (No Engine Blocks!) to 13mm mounts.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1462987714.204542.jpg

I've actually never flown it, but I've fired it in a stand. (If you can find the video on the RATTworks website, that's my motor.) I doubt they sold many. I've never seen another one.

Here’s another one. This one has flown many times. I’m borrowing it from a club member so I can clone it. And make spare parts if anything ever happens.

IMG_0266.jpg

A few items I've picked up over the years. I'll probably never use the motors. I don't know how they were stored before I came upon them. The manual is copyright 1966 and so it nearly a decade older than I am. I think the Estes motors might be older than me too.

Burn those F14J's! I have a few of those on hand too. They still work! It would be a shame to let them rot. I'd buy 'em off you :) The grains in the G25's have probably swelled up.

Cool to see so much Kosdon propellant still out there. Fly 'em, guys! Tony, wait until I'm there to fly that I800 please.

Probably a long shot, but I'd love to add the following oldies to my collection. PM if you have any and are willing to sell.

AT J700T 54mm SU
AT I220T 54mm SU
AT H145T 38mm SU
Any Rocketflite motors, SS or non-SS. Would love to add an H220SS to my collection.
Any Vulcan motors. Would pay a very fair price for an actual Hellfire motor.

Not high power, but here are some fun ones.

IMG_4377.jpg

Probably a long shot, but I'd love to add the following oldies to my collection. PM if you have any and are willing to sell.

AT J700T 54mm SU
AT I220T 54mm SU
AT H145T 38mm SU
Any Rocketflite motors, SS or non-SS. Would love to add an H220SS to my collection.
Any Vulcan motors. Would pay a very fair price for an actual Hellfire motor.

If you are looking for old SU motors contact Bruce Kelly, former TRA prez, he brings many to BALLS to sell.
I don't have his email.

M

Holding a place in this thread, pictures to come shortly.

I've got a couple packs of some 70s Centuri A motors, and handful of AMW I motors, and a handful of Kosdon 29mm G motors (and of course they have motor ejection!), a couple cool cases and of course...this one.

What may be the very last Kosdon M2240 Fast ever made.
M2240grains.jpg

Braden

Some more motors from my collection.

A never released Estes E15-0 booster from the 1990s.

Estes E15-0 Booster.jpg

A Korey Kline 29mm motor.

Korey 29mm motor 001.jpg Korey 29mm motor 002 Nozzle.jpg

A Kosdon 29mm reloadable motor case and reload.

Kosdon 29mm case and reload.jpg

A pre-Estes North Coast Rocketry Impulse G50-7 motor.

North Coast Rocketry Impulse G50-7.jpg

More later...

It's Friday, just popped open a nice bottle of cab, now what to do... I know, start a new TRF cool motor thread! Here are the guidelines:

1) Post pics, specs, and stories of your favorite motors in your possession. Pics or it didn't happen!
2) Motors you once had that you wish you had bought more of
3) Motors you always wanted but probably will never get

I'll make a place holder here....since I have to dig them up and take a picture.

1) I have some collector items in my possession: Kosdon G size hardware and IIRC - and some G reloads for it.....think they might be Dirty Harry propellant, not sure.
Two packs of Flight Systems E-60-4s from Nov. 1981, ....Some Ellis Mountain SU in the box somewhere.
2) Vulcan H100 Smokey Sams.....burnt them up to get rid of them during the BATF thing ...didn't have storage when the situation got heavy.
3) You showed it...Rocketflite Silver Streaks....I saw them fly, never could get my hands on one.

That said, can you even fly non certified motors at a TRA /NAR launch? Some of these rarities are long past certification aren't they?

Last edited:
I have in my possession two Plasmjet motors, one is mine.
They are sort of a white elephant prize from the BALLS/Tripoli Gerlach annual meeting.
Unfire, I think one is a J the other a K,
I'm sure if I dig deep enough I can find more odd motors.

M

That said, can you even fly non certified motors at a TRA /NAR launch? Some of these rarities are long past certification aren't they?

At a TRA launch, you can fly them as EX motors.

NAR has a program where you can apply to fly old motors, as long as they weren't decertified (certification removed for reasons other than general expiration). I don't know the process, but I know CharlesMcG from the forum has done it.

It's a motor, but proper reloads for it are almost certainly unavailable. It might work with a 24mm AP reload. I've no intention of trying. :)
imp.jpg

What you're looking at is an Imp. It's a small motor which was used for spin and attitude control on British sounding rockets such as Skylark. I was lucky enough to win a contest at a rocketry event hosted by Waltham Abbey Royal Gunpowder Mills, former producer of quality explosives (including rocket motor propellant) for H.M. Government and now a museum. The Imp was the prize.

At a TRA launch, you can fly them as EX motors.

NAR has a program where you can apply to fly old motors, as long as they weren't decertified (certification removed for reasons other than general expiration). I don't know the process, but I know CharlesMcG from the forum has done it.

Thanks for the reminder, Glen. I need to look up one bit of information, and I'll file again for this year. And I think you mean that you can fly them as EX at declared TRA Research launches.

I don't have pics but I miss the old Propulsion Industries I-285 and H-140 29mm motors. I fired off many an Aerotech H-125 in the black phenolic case back in the day. Fun times.

I inquired about this once directly to the NAR Safety Committee chairman Steve Lubliner, and he said only model rocket motors may be used under the NAR Expired Motor Testing Program.

In practice, I've never seen any motor disallowed for being expired.

It's a motor, but proper reloads for it are almost certainly unavailable. It might work with a 24mm AP reload. I've no intention of trying. :)
View attachment 344605

What you're looking at is an Imp. It's a small motor which was used for spin and attitude control on British sounding rockets such as Skylark. I was lucky enough to win a contest at a rocketry event hosted by Waltham Abbey Royal Gunpowder Mills, former producer of quality explosives (including rocket motor propellant) for H.M. Government and now a museum. The Imp was the prize.
That's pretty interesting! I don't suppose you've measured it?

More motors...

Propulsion Industry G80 case and reload

PI G80  001 Case.jpgPI G80  003 Reload.jpg

Space Models International B18-3 and C9-5

SMI B18-3 & C9-5.jpg

Synerjet E43-11 and G41-11

Synerjet E43-11.jpgSynerjet G41-11.jpg

An AeroTech E10 from 1986

26954_420626062048_744149_n.jpg

I don't really have a collection, but I do have a couple of interesting motors. Here's a Rocketflite, unburned.

IMG_1047.jpgIMG_1048.jpgIMG_1049.jpg

Back