Ford to stop selling most of their cars in North America

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Ford to stop selling every car in North America but the Mustang and Focus Active

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/25/f...rth-america-but-the-mustang-and-focus-active/

Ford today announced it will phase out most cars it sells in North America. According to its latest financial release, the auto giant “will transition to two vehicles” — the Mustang and an unannounced vehicle, the Focus Active, being the only traditional cars it sells in the region. Ford sees 90 percent of its North America portfolio in trucks, utilities and commercial vehicles. Citing a reduction in consumer demand and product profitability, Ford is in turn not investing in the next generation of sedans. The Taurus is no more.

The press release also talks about a new type of vehicle, though it sounds like a crossover. This so-called white space vehicle will “combine the best attributes of cars and utilities, such as higher ride height, space and versatility.”

Currently, Ford sells six sedans and coupes in North America: the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, C-Max, Mustang and Taurus. This lineup hits multiple segments, from the compact Fiesta to the mid-size Focus, C-Max and Fusion to the full-size Taurus. The Mustang stands alone as the lone coupe.

It’s likely Lincoln’s sedans will also disappear, though this was not explicitly stated in today’s press release. Lincoln currently sells the mid-size MKZ and full-size Continental — both share platforms with Ford counterparts. If Ford is phasing out development of sedan platforms, Lincoln will likely suffer, too.

This reduction in traditional cars was a long time coming. North America consumers have increasingly turned to crossovers, trucks and SUVs over sedans and small cars. A trip to any parking lot will likely produce more evidence to this movement. There are several factors involved, from more fuel-efficient and better-equipped trucks and SUVs to improved safety ratings and ride qualities of these vehicles.

Carmageddon for Cars: “Cars” Are Scheduled to Die
The end of an era in the US Auto industry — until $7 gas arrives...

https://wolfstreet.com/2018/04/25/carmageddon-for-cars-cars-are-scheduled-to-die/

Industry-wide, “car” sales have been a nightmare: During the first three months of the year, “truck” sales jumped 10%, and “car” sales plunged 11%. In 2017, truck sales rose 4.3%, and car sales plunged 11%. And so on. This divergence of dropping car sales and rising truck sales started in 2015, and since then, “car” sales have gotten relentlessly crushed.

Part of the problem is that the industry’s division between “cars” and “trucks” is peculiar. “Trucks” include pickups, vans, SUVs, and compact SUVs (crossovers). But some SUVs and all crossovers are based on a unibody car chassis (instead of body-on-frame, which is the case with trucks). They’re stubbier versions of station wagons. For consumers, the switch from cars to crossovers is natural.

And part of the problem is that consumers have fallen out of love with cars. Gas is cheap (though getting more expensive), SUVs and crossovers are cool and immensely popular. And in parts of the country, pickups have for decades been the most popular US-branded vehicle type, and that love affair has only increased in recent years.

US-auto-sales_cars-v-trucks.png

I am a Ford Ranger person. I don't need a full sized P/U. Unfortunately...they stopped making the Ranger some years back.
I don't care for Van's or Mini Van's. They are nothing but parachutes for side winds to throw around the road.
And I would rather have a station wagon than a shorter cross over thingy...any day.
I will stick with my 98 Ranger with 354,000+ miles for some time yet. At least I know the steering shouldn't fail for awhile!

I read this the other day. sad.

I much prefer a car over an SUV (handling, economy, cheaper tires! :D etc..) But I get the trend. Something big & beefy to plow thru an accident, something to get you out of 'stuck' (Not that anyone rally goes off-roading with these things, and the overall added sense of safety due to all this, and the AWD / 4WD (which few know how to use / understand)..

it all comes down to marketing, all the ruggedness & safety.. and I can start it, open the doors, turn on the windshield wipers from Chicago via my phone..

As for Ford, not impressed with them over the last decade or so.

Not a Ford fan but I never forgot what this commercial may have done for them, very smart marketing going on here: [video=youtube;mAFKqkifqBM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAFKqkifqBM[/video]

I remember Ford's dark days, when people created acronyms like:

Fix Or Repair Daily

Found On Road Dead

No longer is it

First
On
Race
Day

:D
50 years to the day following the historic podium sweep at the Le Mans 24 Hours by the Ford GT40, the new Ford GT returned to Le Mans and claimed the GTE Pro class victory to highlight a pair of class podium finishes:

[video=youtube;b8rDS9M1zns]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8rDS9M1zns[/video]

I much prefer a car over an SUV (handling, economy, cheaper tires! :D etc..) But I get the trend.

I also strongly prefer cars to trucks, but can't say that I will miss (or seriously looked at) any of the Ford's offerings.
GT350 is the only interesting product in their catalog, in the track toy segment, but there are plenty of more attractive alternatives in that category.

It should be noted that Ford is limiting sales of cars in the US, at the time when full menu will be preserved for the rest of the world (ROW).

a

SUV's are nothing more than a modern station wagon. Never cared for Partridge Family mobiles. Let the soccer moms have 'em. Sorry Shirley.

I remember Ford's dark days, when people created acronyms like:

Fix Or Repair Daily

Found On Road Dead

No longer is it

First
On
Race
Day

:D

No, no no. You got it wrong.
It's:
For
Off
Road
Driving

My first truck was a '79 F150 4X4. After a year, the 351M came out and a 429 bored .030" over for 437cid was installed with a hot cam and a Holley 4bbl on an aluminum intake. I could pass anything but a gas station. Luckily, it had dual gas tanks, a 18gal in the rear and a 25 gal inside the frame under the cab. Cost a small fortune to fill it up back then (1986ish...).

I am a Ford Ranger person. I don't need a full sized P/U. Unfortunately...they stopped making the Ranger some years back.

NOBODY makes a small pickup anymore. There use to be tons of choices... Mazda B-series, Ford Ranger, Chevy S10, the original Nissan Frontier (before they upsized it). I wish I'd snagged a B2300 years ago when I was looking at small car vs. pickup... I could sure use it now! All I need to do is to haul my rocket stuff around and tow a Quadsport with a small trailer... right now I'm relegated to renting a truck when I go to a launch.

I think Ford is making a mistake, it's going to come back to bite them in the butt, if not financially then in their reputation. They're basically conceding a huge piece of the market to Toyota and Honda... GM is making turning towards making the same mistake, too.

The Ranger will be back, but it won't be the same Ranger as before, or even remotely related. Ford already has info on their website:
https://www.ford.com/trucks/ranger/2019/

The Ranger in North America was not related to the Ranger sold globally. For a while, South America also got a version of our old truck, but that's no longer the case. The global Ranger was an outgrowth or evolution of the Mazda B-series trucks, which continued on their own path outside of the USA even after Mazda North America adopted rebadged Rangers and the B-series for our market. Eventually that truck (the global B-series & Ranger) grew into a mid-size vehicle, while ours remained compact. The current iteration of that Ranger is known the T-6, and has been on the market for several years outside of North America. I mention all of this because the Ranger that we are getting here next year is a version of that truck. It is not, as I said, related to the Ranger that used to be here. As cerving mentioned, nobody makes a compact pickup anymore - at least not for our market - because the bulk of truck customers want something bigger than compact, even if they don't want full-size (which have also gotten bigger). The Ranger will not change that.

It makes sense.. focus on what they make that has the highest profit margins.

I've got one of Fords first car / truck crossovers.....

27FordRoadsterPickupJune2007.jpg

The Ranger will be back, but it won't be the same Ranger as before, or even remotely related. Ford already has info on their website:
https://www.ford.com/trucks/ranger/2019/

Looked the site over.
Seams they don't make a 2 door version.
They have reverted to early years names for the full size versions.
XLT would be my choice.
One thing I learned when I was an auto body tech.
All them electric motors in windows, mirrors, seats, etc. is just something more to go wrong.
I am hoping they are offering a manual trany, because I don't get along with auto trans.
I buy a vehicle for long term. The one I have now I will have owned for 20 years this August 10th.
Not that I will be able to afford a new truck by any means.
But it's nice to dream...

NOBODY makes a small pickup anymore.

Not quite. There are plenty of small pickups still in production and selling well all over the world. These products just aren't sold in the US and Canada, because consumers here simply want something different.

James

Ford won't offer a 2-door (single cab) version - as far as I can discern, they haven't even designed one. The closest thing is the super cab, which has 2 regular doors and 2 half doors. US-market buyers just don't by those in enough volume to justify. Chevrolet has the same configurations for the Colorado. For the same reason don't expect a manual transmission. Ford is apparently only offering 1 powertrain - the 2.3L turbo-4 with 10-spd automatic. As an aside, I'll be curious to see if that continues with the Bronco the following year. That's based on the T5 Ranger chassis, but could get different engines.

Heck, I've been scanning for used Ranger with 4-cylinder, manual transmission, 2WD, regular cab. Anywhere from about 2000 to 2010. They practically don't exist even used, at least not around here. The vast majority are 4WD and supercab.

Ford won't offer a 2-door (single cab) version - as far as I can discern, they haven't even designed one. The closest thing is the super cab, which has 2 regular doors and 2 half doors. US-market buyers just don't by those in enough volume to justify. Chevrolet has the same configurations for the Colorado. For the same reason don't expect a manual transmission. Ford is apparently only offering 1 powertrain - the 2.3L turbo-4 with 10-spd automatic. As an aside, I'll be curious to see if that continues with the Bronco the following year. That's based on the T5 Ranger chassis, but could get different engines.

Heck, I've been scanning for used Ranger with 4-cylinder, manual transmission, 2WD, regular cab. Anywhere from about 2000 to 2010. They practically don't exist even used, at least not around here. The vast majority are 4WD and supercab.

How’s this?
A 99 with a manual and 3 liter engine. It is the Super Cab though. I have no connection to the seller.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/959705397527398

Sorry, but not quite it. The 2WD, 4-cylinder, 5-speed manual regular cab truck can approach 30 mpg if driven properly. Change any of those variables and that goes out the window. The extended cab adds enough weight that the 4-cylinder struggles and the 3.0L V6 is a dog of an engine. Marginal torque increase over the I-4, but with fuel economy near the 4.0L. But still, apparently there aren't that many customers that value that in this market.

Ford is marketing the new Ranger as sort of lifestyle vehicle - if you're into the active, outdoors, sporty, woodsy sort of thing, or need to haul dirt bikes or kayaks or whatever, that's what they want you to buy a Ranger for. Guys hauling mulch, lumber, towing trailers, doing real work, need an F-series. Folks looking for a small delivery vehicle should buy Transit Connect (which was a big part of the previous Ranger's cancellation). The Ranger is not for these customers. Folks just looking for a cheap car, well, the Ranger is not for you either. Or, at least, that's not Ford's marketing aim with this truck.

Sorry, but not quite it. The 2WD, 4-cylinder, 5-speed manual regular cab truck can approach 30 mpg if driven properly. Change any of those variables and that goes out the window. The extended cab adds enough weight that the 4-cylinder struggles and the 3.0L V6 is a dog of an engine. Marginal torque increase over the I-4, but with fuel economy near the 4.0L. But still, apparently there aren't that many customers that value that in this market.

Ford is marketing the new Ranger as sort of lifestyle vehicle - if you're into the active, outdoors, sporty, woodsy sort of thing, or need to haul dirt bikes or kayaks or whatever, that's what they want you to buy a Ranger for. Guys hauling mulch, lumber, towing trailers, doing real work, need an F-series. Folks looking for a small delivery vehicle should buy Transit Connect (which was a big part of the previous Ranger's cancellation). The Ranger is not for these customers. Folks just looking for a cheap car, well, the Ranger is not for you either. Or, at least, that's not Ford's marketing aim with this truck.

This. I have a 97 4cyl 5spd extended cab ranger. I average 26mpg mixed driving. By contrast, my 08 250 gets roughly 14 city and 22 hwy with a tuner. My wife's transit gets 25ish mixed. The room inside the transit is honestly amazing, so much storage space with the seats folded, I'm sure the commercial version has quite a bit more room. I have been tempted to try putting my dirt bike in the back but she would be less than stoked about it.

I would be interested to see if they have plans to make an SVT option

So, in replacing my 2000 2.4 liter Hyundai Elantra Wagon, I wanted to get a CAR that would have similar or better cargo space , similar or better MPG. Of course, in recent years, wagon versions of cars have mostly died out. I wanted my replacement car to work much better in snowy conditions than the FWD Elantra. I chose to get a Subaru Outback (2.5 liter), AWD, longevity. I didn’t get it for off-road, don’t ever intend to other than the inevitable less-than-ideal driving across launch sites.

It’s due more to red tape and bending the rules that my car is classed as a “truck”. And that graph earlier in the thread tends to show that too. Would be interesting to see a similar graph showing “real trucks” (Pick-up type), rather than throwing in cars technically classed as “trucks”.

Car change day: Elantra on left, Outback on right. It ain’t a “truck”.

glevpIg.jpg

Last edited:
New 2018 Toyota Tacoma SR is a 2WD or 4WD, 5ft or 6ft bed that gets 20/25 MPG (only available in 6-speed auto), built in Texas.

Bummer, I like my Ford Fusion. I guess I will have to buy a Toyota. I prefer an American made car, but they are tying my hands.

Bummer, I like my Ford Fusion. I guess I will have to buy a Toyota. I prefer an American made car, but they are tying my hands.

Borders mean nothing in the automotive world today. The current Fusion is built in Mexico, and the Toyota Camry is assembled in Kentucky. Both have a lot of US-sourced content, and both have a bunch of foreign-sourced content.

Buy what you want, secure in the knowledge that you're supporting jobs both here and abroad.

James

Understood, but the company is American. I am very happy iwth my American owned company making hybrids - spin it how you want. If they stop, I may have to buy German or Japanese. I don't want an SUV or second truck.

To go to work every day, 38-42 miles per gallon is nice and no SUV or truck can give you that today. A diesel German car or Toyota Hybrid may be my only option.

It's probably people like me who are pushing Ford in this direction. The last 5 cars I've bought have all been German, but since 1988 I have always owned a Ford truck or SUV:
1988 Bronco II
1997 Expedition
2010 Expedition
2015 F350

With gas prices going up I think this move by Ford by bring about some rough years for them. Truck sales are going to crash if the prices keep going up.

Back