Why join Tripoli?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twotired

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked before. I'm a long-time NAR member, #80818, certified L1. I'll be attending Tripoli's LDRS this year (next month near Fresno, CA) for the first time and flying one or two L1 rockets. What are the advantages to me to also join Tripoli? Yeah, I get it that Tripoli deserves support, etc. And that does resonate with me. But, tell me "what's in it for me?" that I'm not already getting from NAR?

David Takemoto-Weerts
NAR #80818, Cert. Level 1
JPL Solar System Ambassador
Davis, CA

Tripoli level 2 opens up EX rocketry. If you have an interest in chemistry and making your own motors...

David,
Tsai mentioned the most frequently quoted and largest difference.
Another difference is in the way the insurance works. If you’re a Tripoli member, your children receive individual insurance. NAR insurance only covers the member.
Also, Tripoli insurance is effective nearly anywhere in the world.
However, NAR membership has benefits also. In the end I don’t think you can go wrong with either.
I’m a member of both and always will be. Both are fine organizations which work together to benefit rocketry.
Steve

I'm all in with TRA, but no Research/EX in California, though, right?

I think that's correct Lance. Since each group can fly at each others launches (except NAR only can't fly Research loads) if one is not interested in
Research it's really not necessary to join TRA. Actually if there is no Research allowed in a particular venue there's no outstanding reason to join unless
one wants to altruistically support TRA. Kurt (coming from a dual member NAR/TRA) Kurt

I look at it as a way to support my own obscure hobby. These two organizations are both great and work in the best interests of the hobby...Unless budget is a concern - I'm for supporting both (whether you're into EX or not).

Since each group can fly at each others launches (except NAR only can't fly Research loads) if one is not interested in Research it's really not necessary to join TRA. Actually if there is no Research allowed in a particular venue there's no outstanding reason to join unless one wants to altruistically support TRA.

It's all about the social and knowledge transfer aspects of launching with a local rocket club.
If there is a club near you, and you get along with the folks, join them!
Doesn't really matter if it's NAR or TRA, or both, or some third organization.

a

To my mind a lot of it definitely revolves around what the local club situation is. We have a mix of NAR and TRA clubs, which different fields that are good for different things or in different seasons. If you belong to both national clubs you could certify under either system as an example, whichever's convenient, or some clubs seem to have local rules where belonging to the same club might be more convenient. One thing I'm pondering right now are just the practical logistics of when I might want to fly a level two motor, and given the time of year which test I should be studying for. :)

Tripoli level 2 opens up EX rocketry. If you have an interest in chemistry and making your own motors...
Aluminum airframes. Aluminum rear closure modifications for casings for Min diameter rockets. Aluminum fins. Head end ignition modifications. All of those things NAR gets snotty about. That's what drew me to Tripoli. More design freedom. A cool membership card with a rocket glider, and less lines than NAR to launch.

My reasons: I fly a lot of cross-over motor combos that are not certified. Especially AT 75mm reloads in snap-ring cases. There are more high-powered Tripoli fields within 90 min of where I live.

Aluminum airframes. Aluminum rear closure modifications for casings for Min diameter rockets. Aluminum fins. Head end ignition modifications. All of those things NAR gets snotty about. That's what drew me to Tripoli. More design freedom. A cool membership card with a rocket glider, and less lines than NAR to launch.
NAR isn't "snotty" about anything, NAR's focus is hobby/model rocketry with commercial high power and competition (including TARC), and NAR does allow some metallic components when used appropriately. TRA's focus has been HPR rocketry and EX (of which modified motor hardware and HEI are part of) rocketry from the outset. Both organizations have to comply with NFPA regulations. Many members here are both NAR and TRA. As for the wating in line part I personally have them both about the same, of course in this area many launches are run by small cadres of volunteers, which can slow things down.

A message from the Andrew_ASC misinformation correction services group.

I like how NAR has more members. They offer competitions too. The NAR is a one time fee this is a major advantage to NAR and your cert never expires I think. They are respectful to student groups. I only felt shoe-horned into external wiring around a casing a MD multistage sustainer through NAR because they wanted rear ignition. TRA had more options in that regard. NAR rules felt more restrictive. Sorry I shouldn't have used the word snotty. They operate slightly different. NAR isn't bad for sport rockets. NAR seems way more family oriented. NAR is cool with bring your own launch pad tower.

From a student competition multistage perspective, NAR allows complex multistage MD rockets on certified commercial motors, no motor modifications, even altimeter deploy, but meeting the rearward ignition requirements complicates interstage design and tactics. The material restrictions were to comply with sport rocket class in the spirit of fiberglass or carbon fiber though most non metal structures apply. So in national competitions especially at university level, a team under Tripoli with an L-2 simply has more options for the same membership through organizational operating procedures at research launch dates. If you want to fly the hobby for fun with minimum hassle and expense then NAR is going to be hard to beat until you want to mix motors or change hardware.

For example, a student group with Tripoli under a research launch date can fly a motor modification with a new nozzle design to optimize thrust at an altitude by designing for back pressure at altitude for multistage sustainer or high elevation launches. You'll realize most commercial motor manufacturers have a drill hole at nozzle geometry as that was economically cheaper than making a new converging diverging nozzle for every single load, and they have designed it for a set altitude pressure not any close to what you want to do specifically. A group with NAR membership would have no luxury that I know about. These additional design features that students undertake in a simple scratch build rocket are worth more points in national engineering student competitions. Sorry to get too far off topic. Tripoli offered low cost student membership.

I like how NAR has more members. They offer competitions too. The NAR is a one time fee this is a major advantage to NAR and your cert never expires I think. They are respectful to student groups. I only felt shoe-horned into external wiring around a casing a MD multistage sustainer through NAR because they wanted rear ignition. TRA had more options in that regard. NAR rules felt more restrictive. Sorry I shouldn't have used the word snotty. They operate slightly different. NAR isn't bad for sport rockets. NAR seems way more family oriented. NAR is cool with bring your own launch pad tower.

From a student competition multistage perspective, NAR allows complex multistage MD rockets on certified commercial motors, no motor modifications, even altimeter deploy, but meeting the rearward ignition requirements complicates interstage design and tactics. The material restrictions were to comply with sport rocket class in the spirit of fiberglass or carbon fiber though most non metal structures apply. So in national competitions especially at university level, a team under Tripoli with an L-2 simply has more options for the same membership through organizational operating procedures at research launch dates. If you want to fly the hobby for fun with minimum hassle and expense then NAR is going to be hard to beat until you want to mix motors or change hardware.

For example, a student group with Tripoli under a research launch date can fly a motor modification with a new nozzle design to optimize thrust at an altitude by designing for back pressure at altitude for multistage sustainer or high elevation launches. You'll realize most commercial motor manufacturers have a drill hole at nozzle geometry as that was economically cheaper than making a new converging diverging nozzle for every single load, and they have designed it for a set altitude pressure not any close to what you want to do specifically. A group with NAR membership would have no luxury that I know about. These additional design features that students undertake in a simple scratch build rocket are worth more points in national engineering student competitions. Sorry to get too far off topic. Tripoli offered low cost student membership.
A bunch of this is incorrect or overly specific to your particular experiences but I'm sleepy from a nice nap.

Much of this depends on the local club. I joined Tripoli because it is the local club. If it had been a NAR club I would have joined that. I was a member of both while we were fighting the federal government. Tripoli is just as kid friendly as NAR (except for BALLS). And we have contests, although probably not as many (see the LDRS 37 web site. Join the one you want, or both if you can afford it.

Here in southwest/central Ohio we have both NAR and TRA, and they both have a different following. The NAR guys are heavily into contests and meet regularly at a local vendor's shop to have a build night. When they attend any of our Tripoli Launches, I seldom see any of them fly anything over a J motor. Most of these guys are local to the Dayton area.

Tripoli Mid Ohio attracts to more extreme end of the hobby. We get a lot of university and high school teams because of our waiver. We also attract fliers from long distances and those that want to fly Research motors. Our local Vendor, Lee Berry of Merlin Missile Solutions has both TRA and NAR affiliation and supports everyone that shows up.

Join where you fit it. I have had NAR members approach me about Research motor making, but that is a conversation for another thread..... :)

I also joined both. Money well spent. I am also lifetime AMA member, all 3 have done a great job of self regulating and have great safety records. My 2 cents worth.

I joined TRA because that is what the closest club is. I don't plan to ever get into research, but i think it is awesome it is being done on a hobby level and supported at launches. I will probably end up joining NAR as well at some point, it can only be a positive to support more of the hobby.

[snip]
However, NAR membership has benefits also. In the end I don’t think you can go wrong with either.
I’m a member of both and always will be. Both are fine organizations which work together to benefit rocketry.
Steve

Sometimes there's a comment that crystallizes a thought. I just realized that you're absolutely right. I belong to TRA, but I'm joining NAR today. There's no harm to this, and there could be a giant ton of good.

Why in the world would you try to stir that pot. They’re two different rocketry organizations, but because we focus on different things, that kind of a statement cannot be made. Worse, that is the kind of statement that diminishes the conversation.

Exactly! The only difference is merely a slightly different direction. TRA more Research motor options, NAR more contesting oriented. Any member is welcomed in either organizations launches as long as fliers abide by the hosts rules and NAR folks
can't fly Research loads is a given.

The bickering died out long ago and both teamed up for the ATFE lawsuit for the common good and ending. Kurt ( I do both too)

Nobody appreciates sarcasm. They are both excellent organizations. Sheesh. I just enjoy poking the bear and sprinting perpendicular to its charging path.

Nobody appreciates sarcasm. They are both excellent organizations. Sheesh. I just enjoy poking the bear and sprinting perpendicular to its charging path.

So how's your job search going?

Back